British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Pick your carb - potatoes, pasta or rice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/pick-your-carb-potatoes-pasta-rice-711129/)

Meow Mar 28th 2011 7:44 am

Pick your carb - potatoes, pasta or rice

This is following on from a conversation I had with some friends recently. One of those late night discussions that starts from nothing then goes on for ages as you debate the merits of something that is relatively unimportant in the grand scale. :)

So, the question is: If you had to pick only one of these carbs to eat, in all its variations, which would it be? And why?

Pasta - everything Italian & more
Potatoes - baked, roast, chips, dauphinoise
Rice - risotto, oriental dishes, rice pudding

And hundreds of other dishes...

(Poll to be added & yes I am bored as I am writing about pensions today ;) )

Hello.Kitty Mar 28th 2011 7:57 am

Re: Pick your carb - potatoes, pasta or rice

can't answer it really... there's rice and rice, bread and bread. Lovely pillau rice is gorgeous, but, you know, I think I'd have to plump for bread - fresh, warm, squidgey bread, with mayo or just butter, or dipped in oil and vinegar, hummus or whatever... yeah, great bread is hard to beat!

... and I'm bored too....

PaddyUlsterman Mar 28th 2011 8:01 am

Got to be pasta (and by association all things noodley and possibly at a stretch couscous?):thumbup:. Covers my two favourite cuisines, italian and thai, a nice crab linguine or laksa.

Meow Mar 28th 2011 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9268891)
can't answer it really... there's rice and rice, bread and bread. Lovely pillau rice is gorgeous, but, you know, I think I'd have to plump for bread - fresh, warm, squidgey bread, with mayo or just butter, or dipped in oil and vinegar, hummus or whatever... yeah, great bread is hard to beat!

... and I'm bored too....

:)

My poll, my rules & I like bread to much to give it up, so that is not one you have to exclude. You just have to choose between the others. :D

Millhouse Mar 28th 2011 8:14 am

Rice - I can out eat a pinoy when it comes to rice.

but of course, bread in all its merry forms is the best.

kittycat1 Mar 28th 2011 8:28 am

mmm potatoes- cant beat a jacket potato! mmmm or roast potatoes with gravy mmm yum! sadly I cant eat any of it!

Rice I can live without and as much as I love fresh bread- mm bacon butty mm bread doesn't agree with me so have to avoid it at all costs or have bread hangover.

drooool smilie!

littlejimmy Mar 28th 2011 8:46 am

What a really nice way to frame a question...if you avoid carbs, you're dull.

I've lost 3 stone by mostly avoiding them over the last 3 months. It hasn't been dull...OK, maybe for other people.

If I had to choose one, and I have eaten them now and again, it would be potato. A very versatile thing, a spud. Jacket, chips, mash, hash brown, scalloped, roast, rosti...all good.

Bahtatboy Mar 28th 2011 8:59 am

Gotta be spuds. Pasta and rice? Foreign muck.

Autonomy Mar 28th 2011 9:17 am

Have been on very low carb for 2 months now - I'm really happy with the foods that I'm eating - much more fresh in some respects to before....

I don't miss carbs with every meal - and on occasions will have carbs (if you noticed at your BBQ I had the rolls and your carb wraps :p (I mean amazing pastry and asparagus delights!)

What could I not give up - pizza and beer ('cos I'm classy like that). I still have the odd pizza, the skinny NKD Pizza is good and hasn't seemed to have too much of an effect, still appear to be gradually losing a bit of excess weight...

So all good.

weescot Mar 28th 2011 9:19 am

Meow - a lot of your recent threads seem to be gathering research. Is there any particular reason or is it your journalistic curiosity about our opinions on a variety of "lifestyle" topics?

Oh - and rice.

Jerseygirl Mar 28th 2011 9:21 am

Potatoes, bread and sugary foods. I'm a carboholic and I admit it.

MataHari Mar 28th 2011 9:49 am

no way I am ever going to be without any of them...love anything potatoe, love pasta, love fresh bread with lots of salted butter with a nice bowl of soup...probably could be ok without ever eating rice again but that's not going to happen...

still think that if you just eat 'normal' and varied there is no need for all this weird cutting out of whole food groups to lose weight...

Meow Mar 28th 2011 9:56 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 9269011)
Meow - a lot of your recent threads seem to be gathering research. Is there any particular reason or is it your journalistic curiosity about our opinions on a variety of "lifestyle" topics?

Oh - and rice.

I'm just generally nosey and like to hear people's opinions on a variety of subjects. :)

And in reference to some other comments, does avoiding carbs make some people lose their sense of humour? Reducing your intake is one thing, but people who go all Atkins and make a big fuss about it all the time are rather tiresome. Surely it's a case of all things in moderation? :)

Cake anyone? ;)

Spugsy Mar 28th 2011 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9268877)
This is following on from a conversation I had with some friends recently. One of those late night discussions that starts from nothing then goes on for ages as you debate the merits of something that is relatively unimportant in the grand scale. :)

So, the question is: If you had to pick only one of these carbs to eat, in all its variations, which would it be? And why?

Pasta - everything Italian & more
Potatoes - baked, roast, chips, dauphinoise
Rice - risotto, oriental dishes, rice pudding

And hundreds of other dishes...

(Poll to be added & yes I am bored as I am writing about pensions today ;) )

Potatoes ALL DAY! In fact when I do a roast I quite often do double potatoes, mash and roasties.

YEAH YEAH!

Spugsy Mar 28th 2011 10:06 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9268916)
Rice - I can out eat a pinoy when it comes to rice.

but of course, bread in all its merry forms is the best.

You can what?!?