British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Photoshop Elements 8 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/photoshop-elements-8-a-670618/)

Bahtatboy Jun 1st 2010 2:08 pm

Photoshop Elements 8

Can anyone recommend a really good book which explains how to use this? Looked online but there are mixed reviews of most of the guides--could do with honest advice from someone who has actually learnt how to use it.

Thanks in anticipation...

Bob Jun 1st 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Photoshop Elements 8

tbh, your better off looking for tutorials online than in a book to get you started.

Just search out specific things that you are trying to do such as colour correction, black and white conversion etc.

Roadking Jun 1st 2010 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8604313)
tbh, your better off looking for tutorials online than in a book to get you started.

Just search out specific things that you are trying to do such as colour correction, black and white conversion etc.

Yep, gotta agree with Bob. Miss RK is a wizard on this and is all self taught using tutorials.

I, on the other hand, am just a wizard and simply cast a spell over any work to get the results I want. :huh:

norsk Jun 1st 2010 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8603791)
Can anyone recommend a really good book which explains how to use this? Looked online but there are mixed reviews of most of the guides--could do with honest advice from someone who has actually learnt how to use it.

Lynda.com is the best source of tutorials for this kind of thing.

http://www.lynda.com/home/ViewCourses.aspx?lpk0=77

You can buy thee course on a DVD or you can purchase online access to all tutorials on a monthly basis..And it is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be..

Bob Jun 1st 2010 11:57 pm

Plenty of decent freebies though which are much better for the starter, less wasted money if you give up and then you know where you want to go with it.

Places like conceptart.org deviantart.com any of the 3D sites will have loads on painting, photo touch ups and stuff like that, CGtextures, CGTalk, Polycount etc.

Gnome do pretty good set of video tutorials too, but much better to just have a quick read and see what's being done and follow it with your own work than a video I found, but there are also loads of youtube and vimeo

The Dean Jun 2nd 2010 4:08 am

What effects etc are you actually trying to achieve? That is to say, what precisely are you planning to use it for?

Brains1983 Jun 2nd 2010 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8604880)
deviantart.com

googling Deviant Tart brings a very different topic up...

shiva Jun 2nd 2010 9:18 am

good on you as you should always pay for a course online but i found out that some theiving barstewards who wantonly walk all over the law are apparently downloading these things from places like isohunt for free. the cheek of some people.

kittycat1 Jun 2nd 2010 10:14 am

Anything in particular you are trying to do- I have CS6 and am pretty good so may be able to help, don't think the newer version is that different- are you on a mac or a pc?

any chance I could download your copy?;)

sorry just realised your on about photshop elements- I've only got the 2.0 version so may not be any help at all!

Bahtatboy Jun 2nd 2010 1:39 pm

Trying to do really basic stuff: understand layers, using the lassoo, selecting bits to alter...

Had a look at TeachUComp.com, sample tutorial looks ok.

Thanks for the suggestions so far:D

kittycat1 Jun 2nd 2010 3:09 pm

well if your ever in dubai Id be happy to show you the basics. :D

Jack Hammer Jun 2nd 2010 3:16 pm

Can anyone recommend a really good book which explains how to use this? Looked online but there are mixed reviews of most of the guides--could do with honest advice? ...

I doubt even Photoshop 8 could make you look good.

Jack Hammer Jun 2nd 2010 3:16 pm

That was just a little joke there...

kittycat1 Jun 2nd 2010 3:18 pm

wow jack hammer- do you know bahtatboy or you just free and easy with the insults? :p

Jack Hammer Jun 2nd 2010 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8606291)
wow jack hammer- do you know bahtatboy or you just free and easy with the insults? :p

If he's gonna set me up, i'm gonna knock him down

Such is my nature my dear