Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Photos of freedom of speech being enjoyed

Photos of freedom of speech being enjoyed

Old May 18th 2009, 7:50 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Photos of freedom of speech being enjoyed

Originally Posted by Big Kevin
The Public Order Act can be used to prosecute those that would incite others to violence in the UK. It is an offence for example to produce threats to kill, in writing or vocally.

In practice, certainly in connection with the kind of demonstration shown in the pictures above, it is seldom used. Perhaps because it might only give wider coverage to those that would seek to have their message spread, or maybe because there is a fear of escalating the problem resulting in even bigger demonstrations in the wake of any prosecutions. There are many who feel let down by the apparent lack of response to demonstrations of this nature in the UK, but there is also some debate on what the response should actually be. Perhaps the debate isn't yet as open and wide ranging as it might be for fear of stepping on others' politically correct toes?

Speaking as a nobody, I do not have any answers, but I do believe that the problem needs to be tackled on a deeper level than just prosecuting and locking up the perpetrators. Otherwise we will live in a frightened, sad and divided society where 'appropriate' response is measured in bombs and escalating violence.
Hmmm, a member of the old firm quoting anti-terrorism laws...