Petrol Station carnage

Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:43 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol Station carnage

Originally Posted by Welivehere
Heard on the radio this morning that it's ENOC that will be implemennting it. The concept is for pre-payment and intially over just 10 petrol stations.

Dubai Eye Business Breakfast (103.8) say Enoc will be on the show tomorrow to provide more info and discuss. Should be an interesting listen ....

so they no longer accept credit cards and now they want self service...they must be feeling the pinch what with having to buy their fuel from Abu Dhabi
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Someone has suggested elsewhere that the real reason for this is the change to the visa rules. Can't imagine what they're getting at...
y'auld cynic...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Once the first couple of filling stations have gone up in a ball of flame they will soon re-introduce the attendants.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:59 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
so they no longer accept credit cards and now they want self service...they must be feeling the pinch what with having to buy their fuel from Abu Dhabi
If it works the same way as elsewhere, they are going to have to accept credit cards...
The idea is that you swipe the card into a card reader fitted on the petrol pump and they system requests authority up to a certain spend (lately in the UK its been asking up to £70 due to fuel costs!!!). You start to fill up and, when the pump stops, you are either full or you have reached your pre-authorised limit...

It is pretty idiot-proof, if you know how the damn petrol pump works in the first place, of course!!!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

They could fit "reverse ATMs" like the ones Etisalat have in some of the Malls for bill payment. Feed in a note and fill up. That could be a nice little earner for them as they don't have to give change so if your tank is fuller than you thought before you fill up......
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:06 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
Haven't seen anything official but am picking up numerous bits and pieces that indicate petrol stations are going 'self service'.
Although this will deprive me of my weekly chance to see the shock, awe, and discomfort on the face of the attendant as I fill my own vehicle, it is something that I am looking forward to.
The letters in 6days imply that you will have to pre-pay though - does anyone else sense another ill conceived, badly executed, and completely haphazard (with the emphasis on the hazard) plan?
CH
Start crying when you pay bloody € 1.62 for a liter of petrol!!! And for that price I can fill my own bloody tank.

Last edited by Dutchie; Aug 6th 2008 at 4:10 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Just got a call from the Ass Factory; my brand new 2009 Donkey will arrive in 2 weeks' time...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Just got a call from the Ass Factory; my brand new 2009 Donkey will arrive in 2 weeks' time...
I take it you are having the 20" alloy hoofs..

Be interested to see where they put the speakers for the stereo...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Start crying when you pay bloody € 1.62 for a liter of petrol!!! And for that price I can fill my own bloody tank.
Over here people are already crying over paying €28,000 plus a year to rent a poxy 2 bedroomed apartment..
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:13 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by admon
Over here people are already crying over paying €28,000 plus a year to rent a poxy 2 bedroomed apartment..
€ 10.200 is considered normal (all in per year) for a 2 bedroom apartment here. But try filling a hobby on wheels for € 1.62 per liter, that really hurts.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
I take it you are having the 20" alloy hoofs..

Be interested to see where they put the speakers for the stereo...
No stereo...Au naturel...
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Petrol Station carnage

Originally Posted by Confucius
No stereo...Au naturel...
Going for the minimalist approach then?

I converted a '89 Honda Civic into an open top "moon roof" a couple of years ago, I looked up the prices of convertibles and descided that I could make a better job of it on 'the cheap' ($450 as it turned out). So with the aid of an angle grinder I cut away the centre section of the roof leaving a sort of "moon roof" opening along the length of the car (I would have cut it lower but I didnt want to compramise the structure of the car). Result: Plenty of scuttle shake and a $450 convertible for the summer .

To be fair though you needed a pair of these to drive it at more than 70km/h:
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:35 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
If it works the same way as elsewhere, they are going to have to accept credit cards...
Or even simpler just go with pre-paid…..

You buy a pre-loaded smart card in advance; decide how much credit you want added on it and pay in the shop, if you want to do it one fill at a time so be it but if you want to stick 500 AED on it in one lump that ok as well.

When you fill up, slot it in the machine and just use the pre-paid credit. Whatever you don’t use sits on the card til next time, when you run out of credit just go back in and top it up again.

Further down the line link this to either E mobile top up and / or web payment for an easy flexible corporate or personal solution….
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:40 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

You buy a pre-loaded smart card in advance; decide how much credit you want added on it and pay in the shop, if you want to do it one fill at a time so be it but if you want to stick 500 AED on it in one lump that ok as well.

When you fill up, slot it in the machine and just use the pre-paid credit. Whatever you don’t use sits on the card til next time, when you run out of credit just go back in and top it up again.

Further down the line link this to either E mobile top up and / or web payment for an easy flexible corporate or personal solution….
or even simpler...just sit in your car when the nice men fill it up, you give them money, you get change and you drive off....
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:43 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

that makes far too much sense for out here mate, we dont even have debit cards or direct debit. Emobile payments wil faze them completely.

Its the right solution though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.