British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Petrol Station carnage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/petrol-station-carnage-553545/)

Cry haddock Aug 6th 2008 7:03 am

Petrol Station carnage

Haven't seen anything official but am picking up numerous bits and pieces that indicate petrol stations are going 'self service'.
Although this will deprive me of my weekly chance to see the shock, awe, and discomfort on the face of the attendant as I fill my own vehicle, it is something that I am looking forward to.
The letters in 6days imply that you will have to pre-pay though - does anyone else sense another ill conceived, badly executed, and completely haphazard (with the emphasis on the hazard) plan?
CH

MataHari Aug 6th 2008 7:09 am

Re: Petrol Station carnage

omg...the thought...

Bison Aug 6th 2008 7:12 am

One thing I actually miss is being able to put Petrol in my own car (I don't miss UK prices though!!)

I did get rather annoyed recently when the attendant at a particular garage wouldn't let me fill my own car up, but I tried anyway. He was like "No sir, please sir no sir, It is the rules sir" :rofl:

Bring it on!! :eek:

Spugsy Aug 6th 2008 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Cry haddock (Post 6650380)
Haven't seen anything official but am picking up numerous bits and pieces that indicate petrol stations are going 'self service'.
Although this will deprive me of my weekly chance to see the shock, awe, and discomfort on the face of the attendant as I fill my own vehicle, it is something that I am looking forward to.
The letters in 6days imply that you will have to pre-pay though - does anyone else sense another ill conceived, badly executed, and completely haphazard (with the emphasis on the hazard) plan?
CH

why though? why do it? it works perfectly well and surely not to save money, I'm usre these young lads get paid next to nothing.

Charismatic Aug 6th 2008 7:15 am

Why are you looking forward to filling your own tank? Mostly I prefer to just go and peruse the range of gluttony available :p. I have to admit that on a frosty morning the smell of benzine in still air is nice though.

Petrol is only a hazard if you are a numpty :D.

Cry haddock Aug 6th 2008 7:18 am

yeah i agree, but as far as i know the procedure is that you rock up to the pump, park, go inside, pre-pay for your fuel (and no doubt bugger around for 10 minutes), back to the vehicle, fill up to the pre-paid limit. Bugger off.
It is going to be a nightmare because:

1) loads of people fill their tank and have only a vague idea in advance how much it will cost.
2) So many people will struggle to get their heads around this in general (language, general lack of common sense)
3) loads of people will just be too damn lazy/proud (you know what i mean)

As i say, carnage.

CH

MataHari Aug 6th 2008 7:25 am

I can't see it happening....

shiva Aug 6th 2008 7:26 am

agreed it will be carnage if they do.
The national had an article a while ago highlighting just how dangerous self service was!!! :rofl:

there will be a large no. of people here who have never actually used a pump before, i cant wait to watch them try to fill up.

all that said i actually like having someone else do it especially during summer.

Charismatic Aug 6th 2008 7:27 am

How do you know how much petrol you need? "Enough to make the tank so no more can fit in please...i.e. Fill it up"?

admon Aug 6th 2008 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 6650416)
How do you know how much petrol you need? "Enough to make the tank so no more can fit in please...i.e. Fill it up"?

In Europe, various petrol stations in several countries require prepayment at night (UK, France and Belgium spring to mind immediately, but I'm sure there are others).

In fact in certain parts of my home town you have to pre pay at many stations even in the day as they have so many 'drive offs'.

Bonny Boy Aug 6th 2008 7:44 am

There are certain US states where self service is not allowed on safety grounds. Oregon is one IIRC, and a few others as well.

I generally fill up, so with this system you would need to queue (nice and orderly :rofl:) to pay your guess, then queue again to settle the balance. :curse:

It might work if they have staff on the forecourt to take your money directly as you complete filling.

Norm_uk Aug 6th 2008 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 6650446)
There are certain US states where self service is not allowed on safety grounds. Oregon is one IIRC, and a few others as well.

I generally fill up, so with this system you would need to queue (nice and orderly :rofl:) to pay your guess, then queue again to settle the balance. :curse:

It might work if they have staff on the forecourt to take your money directly as you complete filling.

Yeah I can see it now...people with lit cigarettes filling up then blowing up the whole station.

Orderly queues? Pay an estimate then pay any outstanding balance? I'm sorry but most people in this part of the world are not capable of such things....self service will be a nightmare.

N.

Welivehere Aug 6th 2008 10:38 am

Heard on the radio this morning that it's ENOC that will be implemennting it. The concept is for pre-payment and intially over just 10 petrol stations.

Dubai Eye Business Breakfast (103.8) say Enoc will be on the show tomorrow to provide more info and discuss. Should be an interesting listen .... :unsure::unsure:

Eeyore Aug 6th 2008 10:41 am

Someone has suggested elsewhere that the real reason for this is the change to the visa rules. Can't imagine what they're getting at... ;)

Charismatic Aug 6th 2008 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 6650775)
Yeah I can see it now...people with lit cigarettes filling up then blowing up the whole station.

Orderly queues? Pay an estimate then pay any outstanding balance? I'm sorry but most people in this part of the world are not capable of such things....self service will be a nightmare.

If you catch fire because you where smoking a ciggaret in a petrol station consider it a Darwin award.

Here the pre-pay just lets you use up to the maximum amount on your card and then the pump shuts off (or so I have been told by someone who worked for a petrol station).