Petrol cheaper than...

Old May 19th 2009, 1:55 pm
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Petrol cheaper than...

I've just fueled up a rental in Saudi for 18riyals, thats 17 dirhams, 3quids, barely 5 dollars. Its ****ing 44 hallalas which is 44 fils per liter, a friggin local drinking bottle of 1.5 liter in UAE is 1.25dirhams at carrefour.

I'm simply gob smacked.

Its a toyota camry if you are wondering and i filled it from an empty tank.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:42 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol cheaper than...

Originally Posted by Tiger989
I've just fueled up a rental in Saudi for 18riyals, thats 17 dirhams, 3quids, barely 5 dollars. Its ****ing 44 hallalas which is 44 fils per liter, a friggin local drinking bottle of 1.5 liter in UAE is 1.25dirhams at carrefour.

I'm simply gob smacked.

Its a toyota camry if you are wondering and i filled it from an empty tank.
Bottled water is almost always overpriced even though the majority of it comes from the municipal tap.

It's not really surprising fuel is cheaper since the place has one of the largest oil reserves in the world and the lowest rates of precipitation in the world...plus they have no direct tax on fuel.

N.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, its one of the 'perks' of living in Saudi. To full up my Pajero , 80 litre fuel tank, is around 35 riyals. At todays exchange rate, its a little over 6quid.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:34 pm
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

One of the perks?

The only perk you mean.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:22 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Yeah, its one of the 'perks' of living in Saudi. To full up my Pajero , 80 litre fuel tank, is around 35 riyals. At todays exchange rate, its a little over 6quid.
It costs me 85 dirhams to fill mine up here but I still aint complaining
Old May 20th 2009, 10:29 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Bottled water is almost always overpriced even though the majority of it comes from the municipal tap.

It's not really surprising fuel is cheaper since the place has one of the largest oil reserves in the world and the lowest rates of precipitation in the world...plus they have no direct tax on fuel.

N.
hang on, what perplexes me about the price of petrol is think about how much energy and processing takes to produce one litre of petrol versus a litre of water...

the only thing i can think of that causes the increase in cost over the two is that each litre (or split of), comes individually wrapped when it comes to water...
Old May 20th 2009, 11:00 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
hang on, what perplexes me about the price of petrol is think about how much energy and processing takes to produce one litre of petrol versus a litre of water...

the only thing i can think of that causes the increase in cost over the two is that each litre (or split of), comes individually wrapped when it comes to water...
When you consider a large portion of potable water in the UAE comes from the sea it's not hard to see why it costs so much. It's a lot harder to get drinking water from sea water and the "water table" than it is to get oil and refine it into fuel (given all you basically do is heat it up).

I think tap water is cheaper here than petrol though - but hardly anyone drinks it because apparently water is cleaner when wrapped in plastics than when it comes from a pipe connected to a regulated municipal water plant.

N.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:16 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
When you consider a large portion of potable water in the UAE comes from the sea it's not hard to see why it costs so much. It's a lot harder to get drinking water from sea water and the "water table" than it is to get oil and refine it into fuel (given all you basically do is heat it up).

I think tap water is cheaper here than petrol though - but hardly anyone drinks it because apparently water is cleaner when wrapped in plastics than when it comes from a pipe connected to a regulated municipal water plant.

N.
in the magic kingdom, i'm loathe to admit it but will only drink the bottled stuff. i put the tap water into a humidifier and it leaves a thick brown sludge (very oil like!) residue... not drinking that! (i'll stick to my toxic home brew, thanks!)
Old May 21st 2009, 3:00 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

in the magic kingdom, i'm loathe to admit it but will only drink the bottled stuff. i put the tap water into a humidifier and it leaves a thick brown sludge (very oil like!) residue... not drinking that! (i'll stick to my toxic home brew, thanks!)
bottled water only in this house too, but then I really don't like the idea of those plastic water bottles being stored in the sun, what to do. The glass bottled water from Scotland costs a fortune
Old May 21st 2009, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Well you can always use the biriani (that's the name of the brown 'sludge' as you call it) in your cooking.

It's not expensive when you get it from the shops but you can get it for free, so....

Now we use humidifiers but traditionally it came from the inside of tents.
Old May 21st 2009, 7:27 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen the inside of my water tank and frankly I'll be sticking to bottled drinking water for now. didnt and wouldnt in the uk though.
Old May 21st 2009, 7:32 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
I've seen the inside of my water tank and frankly I'll be sticking to bottled drinking water for now. didnt and wouldnt in the uk though.
Why would you? My OH's folks stay up the Glens and there water comes straight off the peat bog...

Mmmm, yummy......
Old May 21st 2009, 7:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Why would you? My OH's folks stay up the Glens and there water comes straight off the peat bog...

Mmmm, yummy......
exactly, rather that than through a decrepit system installed for the lowest bid minus the profit gouge, installed and maintained by rice farmers (not their fault i hasten to add).

I saw the inside of my water tank after it started to leak amazingly well last year, roll on 6 months when they finally decided to fix it, i had a look inside, was like the black lagoon in there, ****ing disgusting. They fixed it by liberally covering the inside with fibre glass which meant we couldnt use any tap water for a couple of weeks as the water stank and contained huge bundles of glass fibre......lovely stuff to be doing your teeth with etc......

On principle I hate bottled water but only marginally less than i hate being poisoned