British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Pet shops (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/pet-shops-824173/)

winter Feb 5th 2014 1:32 pm

Pet shops

I recently had the misfortune to visit a pet shop in al barsha, they are selling stray cats for 1000 aed, and they think this is okay, I have alerted feline friends, unfortunately my little girl died today, she was a stray, please don't support these shops

winter Feb 5th 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Pet shops

53 looks, and no one cares, thanks

Fossildog Feb 5th 2014 3:03 pm

Why would someone pay 1000 for a stray when they can get one for free off the street?

When I first moved here I used to worry about the street cats but they seem pretty resilient and seem more than capable of looking after themselves. I still feed them when I get the chance but for the most part they seem healthier than my fat, pampered cat back home.

winter Feb 5th 2014 3:36 pm

[QUOTE=Fossildog;11114677]Why would someone pay 1000 for a stray when they can get one for free off the street?

When I first moved here I used to worry about the street cats but they seem pretty resilient and seem more than capable of looking after themselves. I still feed them when I get the chance but for the most part they seem healthier than my fat, pampered cat back home.[/Q
Was just letting people know about the awfully pet shops

Boomhauer Feb 5th 2014 10:51 pm

Pet shops are depressing. When I lived in AD I bought a few Budgies from them . I would often let the budgies fly around the room so as not to keep them cooped up. Parents would tell me that it wasn't right to keep birds in cages but freeing them in the AD climate also might be a problem, though I have seen flocks of budgies from time to time.

One day I left the cage door open and they left. After that I never got budgies or any other birds.

I don't blame the guys having the small modest pet shops, they are poor and trying to survive in tough conditions, so animal welfare like we see it is just not on their radar.

The Dean Feb 6th 2014 2:27 am

Can I buy a monkey there? I need one for my night club.........

http://www.emirates247.com/crime/loc...02-04-1.537168

Millhouse Feb 6th 2014 2:53 am

Originally Posted by winter (Post 11114639)

It's only a cat. For a minute, I was hoping I could get myself a pet Indian to keep in a tank.

Meow Feb 6th 2014 5:56 am

Originally Posted by winter (Post 11114639)

Views always vastly exceed comments.

I am sorry your cat has died. It's always awful to lose a beloved pet.

Most pet shops here are appalling and should be shut down.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 6th 2014 6:01 am

Why do people feed stray cats?

Meow Feb 6th 2014 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11115766)
Why do people feed stray cats?

Because they are kind.

Gus Honeybun Feb 6th 2014 6:22 am

We picked up a friendly stray in JBR last year. Took her to the vet for inoculations and, bugger me, turned out she was HIV +ve. Had to be put down. No more strays for us then.

Millhouse Feb 6th 2014 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11115781)
Because they are kind.

Because they want to spread disease.

Stray mogs are up there with pigeons. they piss all over my patio chairs making it smell.

Meow Feb 6th 2014 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11115792)
Because they want to spread disease.

Stray mogs are up there with pigeons. they piss all over my patio chairs making it smell.

Then they are probably toms that need neutering. Only toms spray and it is horrible. You might want to ask one the cat organisations (Feline Friends or Bin Kitty Collective) if they can help with TNR (trap neuter release) in your area. Result will be no more spraying on your furniture and fewer stray/feral kittens.

Millhouse Feb 6th 2014 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11115801)
Then they are probably toms that need neutering. Only toms spray and it is horrible. You might want to ask one the cat organisations (Feline Friends or Bin Kitty Collective) if they can help with TNR (trap neuter release) in your area. Result will be no more spraying on your furniture and fewer stray/feral kittens.

and the disease?

Meow Feb 6th 2014 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11115818)
and the disease?

What disease? With TNR they also get a health check.