British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Pet Cemetary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/pet-cemetary-816667/)

TheShed Dec 2nd 2013 3:18 am

Pet Cemetary

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately, yesterday I lost my best mate (My Dog, Charlie). I was so upset leaving the vets (she was lovely, recommend Barsha VeterinaryAttachment 114893 Clinic) that I forgot to ask what we do with the ashes. I signed up for a private cremation so we get the ashes back, but I have no idea where I can bury them.

Ive thought about buying a little plant for our balcony and putting the ashes in there but cant really think of anything else. Any ideas?

Kix Dec 2nd 2013 4:00 am

Re: Pet Cemetary

Sorry to hear that.

Where was her favourite place for a gallop? The beach? Sprinkle them there.

A guy who loved horse racing had his sprinkled over the finish line at Mayden the other day, no-one batted an eyelid.

Millhouse Dec 2nd 2013 4:01 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11016211)
Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately, yesterday I lost my best mate (My Dog, Charlie). I was so upset leaving the vets (she was lovely, recommend Barsha VeterinaryAttachment 114893 Clinic) that I forgot to ask what we do with the ashes. I signed up for a private cremation so we get the ashes back, but I have no idea where I can bury them.

Ive thought about buying a little plant for our balcony and putting the ashes in there but cant really think of anything else. Any ideas?

Sorry to hear that. Put them where he liked being walked... maybe the beach.

sad times. :(

Patsy Stoned Dec 2nd 2013 4:03 am

You can put them anywhere you want darling..a pot on the balcony sounds lovely.
I am so sorry to hear your sad news, big hugs to you. xxx
My Doberman is coming to the last stage of his life..11 years old and his back legs are going, he is on medication and all the time he is pain free and has a good quality of life I am happy. The minute he shows pain or distress I will make sure he goes painlessly. It is not a day I want to come. :(

Boomhauer Dec 2nd 2013 4:08 am

My best mate (cat) passed away Spring of this year at the age of 19. Despite being 37 I cried a lot and am still saddned about losing her.

My mom said this was the issue with pets, that if you get attached you will eventually be devastated, but she doesn't recomment not getting attached , to the contrary she gets rather attached to pets too. She was making a sad observation.

My cat is buried in the backyard, and when I croack, I'll request she be buried next to me.

Since you already cremated your dog, if it was me I would:
a) Have him in an urn and take him with me when I leave the Emirates.
b) mix her ashes with compost for a potted plant. It would be a special way of remembering him. It is not uncommon for people to plant trees in memory of loved ones.

TheShed Dec 2nd 2013 4:28 am

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone,

I just got to work and starting reading the replies and welled up again.

I am such a softie really :o

I am gonna ditch the office shortly and take Mrs Shed to look for a pot and a nice plant for the balcony. Charlie spent most of his time out there sunbathing.

This is ridiculous, its affecting me almost as much as when I lost my mum and dad.

Kix Dec 2nd 2013 5:28 am

With buying a potted plant etc. That'll mean when you leave you'll have to leave said plant here won't it?

Are you OK with that?

Alexa Dec 2nd 2013 8:39 am

So sorry to hear that. My cat is getting on in years too, not looking forward to "the day".Since you have the ashes, I would keep them and take them with me when I leave. Then sprinkle them in a place where he would have loved to be.
I would not leave the remains of my pet here if I could help it.

Patsy Stoned Dec 2nd 2013 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 11016394)
So sorry to hear that. My cat is getting on in years too, not looking forward to "the day".Since you have the ashes, I would keep them and take them with me when I leave. Then sprinkle them in a place where he would have loved to be.
I would not leave the remains of my pet here if I could help it.

But, if Shed is planning to be here a while then the ashes will have gone by then..If he gets a plant that has seeds he will be able to take some with him and repot :-D. I plan to bury Max in my garden under his favourite tree. He will be fine there and when I leave I will have the memory of the good times we had to take with me :-D

Alexa Dec 2nd 2013 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 11016456)
But, if Shed is planning to be here a while then the ashes will have gone by then..If he gets a plant that has seeds he will be able to take some with him and repot :-D. I plan to bury Max in my garden under his favourite tree. He will be fine there and when I leave I will have the memory of the good times we had to take with me :-D

Sure, I can understand that...I just can't bear the thought to leave somebody I loved behind, in THIS place.
I think it also has to do with how one feels about the place one ,at the time, lives in. I know you like where you are, I don't.

Boomhauer Dec 2nd 2013 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11016271)
With buying a potted plant etc. That'll mean when you leave you'll have to leave said plant here won't it?

Are you OK with that?

He could get a Bonsai tree, or some other plant that either takes forever to grow or stays small, like cactus.

Blue Cat Dec 2nd 2013 12:07 pm

Sorry to hear this, I have an 18 year old cat who I think is on her way out, I can't even think about it. I would say sprinkle the ashes where she liked to lie.