Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

IT People - mega virus infection

IT People - mega virus infection

Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default IT People - mega virus infection

So im cleaning my girlfriends laptop. Its fully infected with STD's. Im running Trend Microsystems command line scanner and cleaner. Its cleaned about 100000 files so far and still running.

Do you think it will be salvageable at the end? Reinstalling XP isnt an option at the moment. Its an Aspire One Acer, like a calculator and without a CD drive. Mainly full of Malware, some of which stops it being restarted in safe mode.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:10 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT People - mega virus infection

Good grief!

It really depends how far gone it is. If the malware hasn't inserted itself into the system files, it should be ok. Otherwise, it'll be reinstall time.

I'd also recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware highly.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:53 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not 100% certain but do the aspire series not have an inbuilt image of xp on a partition, if so reinstall/recover to original condition should only involve a couple of mouse clicks.

if not an option install and run these in this order (all are free to download and use)

ccleaner
adaware
spybot search and destroy
avg anti virus (prefer this to trend of symantec which slow systems horribly) could also use avast
ccleaner again and also use its registry cleaner(scan for system issues)

then defraggler as the system will probably be slow as **** by this point

that should solve 99% of issues if not all

lastly teach her how to use the internet as 99% of all malware is user installed by people clicking on big shiny ****ing buttons, free offers and opening email .exe's
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shiva
i'm not 100% certain but do the aspire series not have an inbuilt image of xp on a partition, if so reinstall/recover to original condition should only involve a couple of mouse clicks.

if not an option install and run these in this order (all are free to download and use)

ccleaner
adaware
spybot search and destroy
avg anti virus (prefer this to trend of symantec which slow systems horribly) could also use avast
ccleaner again and also use its registry cleaner(scan for system issues)

then defraggler as the system will probably be slow as **** by this point
Will try these tomorrow. Can't remember seeing a second partition but as Trend cleaner is still running it's a bit slow to go looking.

lastly teach her how to use the internet as 99% of all malware is user installed by people clicking on big shiny ****ing buttons, free offers and opening email .exe's
I am currently beating her into submission. I assume this is what you meant?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:21 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Will try these tomorrow. Can't remember seeing a second partition but as Trend cleaner is still running it's a bit slow to go looking.
try alt + F10 when you boot up

I am currently beating her into submission. I assume this is what you meant?
that'd work as well
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:58 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

I know you get banned on PC forums..but have you thought of transferring to Macs in the future?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MacScot
I know you get banned on PC forums..but have you thought of transferring to Macs in the future?

Some people dont learn - They have to rub it in
Old Jul 6th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MacScot
Honestly, I wouldnt mind an iPad as at the moment I only use laptops and I dont play PC games anymore. As for a mac, cbf learning how to use it...
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Honestly, I wouldnt mind an iPad as at the moment I only use laptops and I dont play PC games anymore. As for a mac, cbf learning how to use it...
If you think you can use an iPad why not a Mac ?
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anuny
If you think you can use an iPad why not a Mac ?
Im scared of becoming one of you...
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

So im cleaning my girlfriends laptop. Its fully infected with STD's. Im running Trend Microsystems command line scanner and cleaner. Its cleaned about 100000 files so far and still running.

Do you think it will be salvageable at the end? Reinstalling XP isnt an option at the moment. Its an Aspire One Acer, like a calculator and without a CD drive. Mainly full of Malware, some of which stops it being restarted in safe mode.
Boot a linux distro from a live USB (F2 to enter bios and change boot order to use the USB first), copy her personal data from the XP partition from within linux to an external USB, Either install the full version of linux( on a new partition or overwrite windoze fully) or just work within the live version to clean the malware and let her go back to XP.
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on an Aspire One and it flies, but if you're just going to use it to fix the Win install then something like puppy linux is quicker and smaller to download.
I'm new to linux and it took about a week to get up to speed. Love it :-)
CH
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:39 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Im scared of becoming one of you...
..come over to the darkside
Old Jul 6th 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

that'd work as well
How do I make Shift F10 work? How do I see if they installed the recovery partition? Shift F10 hasnt been doing anything during start up.