Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The people that flee leaving debts

The people that flee leaving debts

Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:52 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The people that flee leaving debts

Originally Posted by Meow
Are they mainly singles or childless couples? I don't personally know anyone who has 'legged it' but it has been suggested that people with children plan their exits more carefully or take their time due to wanting the children to finish the term.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks

-
mainly singles that I know. the ones with families have stayed to either find jobs or settle things up. know plenty that have lost jobs in the construction industry. the younger youngs seem not to care so much and some has used it as an opportunity to travel or return to futher studies
only know of a handful that have been forced to leave cars behind
most that were made redundant in November and December have now found jobs, mainly in Abu Dhabi, Qatar and Saudi
but there is more to come
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Are they mainly singles or childless couples? I don't personally know anyone who has 'legged it' but it has been suggested that people with children plan their exits more carefully or take their time due to wanting the children to finish the term.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks

-
My colleague's brother got laid off more than 2 months ago from a media/advertising company in AUH...Still has to find another job...Single...
The company where my sister works laidoff about 300 people about a month ago...Maybe more to come in the coming months...Who knows...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:55 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
My colleague's brother got laid off more than 2 months ago from a media/advertising company in AUH...Still has to find another job...Single...
The company where my sister works laidoff about 300 people about a month ago...Maybe more to come in the coming months...Who knows...
there is more to come, pretty sure of that sorry to hear about your Sister's job loss. It's a tough time.

When this happened in the 90's I knew a lot of people who just vanished, this time I have heard of a few but no one in my immediate circle, YET, has gone this route. They are all still trying to clear debts etc.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Well you guys know im a skip - im not loving that term either and i do know a family of 4 who skipped just after us for the same situation - again they had to leave everything and fly over night!

ive spoke to 5 different posters who have PM'd me who have skipped and keep i touch to see if anything has happened with the bank.

Its a shitty place to be but ive stopped worrying about it, it will happen when it happens and right now the big hairy taxman is chasing my tail so ....... Dubai.... where is that again!

Oh yeah and crazy arsed people here still believe Dubai is paved and there is no crunch, dont you just love the media!!

On a much happier note, newcastle was actually hitting 19 degrees this week..... summer sun baby! (im still wearing jumpers!)
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Know over 20 people that have already skipped, 5 of those in the last fortnight.

Plus another 6 that are leaving next week and not returning.

A number of people I know are giving it as long as possible, or to the end of June before going, a few having already lost their jobs, or on gardening leave.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I personally know of 4 skips from AD. 1 family and 3 singles. Family left only car loan, 1 single left huge debt that he paid of another countries debt with, 2 singles left cars.

I would love to skip but my new job in the offing means I will have to visit the UAE on a regular basis so my car has to go before I either get booted from my current employer or resign to start my new post.

Anyone want a barely used, unmarked 2008 Ford Expedition V8 with 14,600 kms ??
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
there is more to come, pretty sure of that sorry to hear about your Sister's job loss. It's a tough time.

When this happened in the 90's I knew a lot of people who just vanished, this time I have heard of a few but no one in my immediate circle, YET, has gone this route. They are all still trying to clear debts etc.
Data coming out of the US and UK lately are a bit refreshing...Usually here we are 6 months behind...In recession as well as recovery...
My sis is still there...And long may it continue...
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Data coming out of the US and UK lately are a bit refreshing...Usually here we are 6 months behind...In recession as well as recovery...
My sis is still there...And long may it continue...
saw on the news yesterday that there has been a very small but nonetheless significant increase in average house prices in the Uk last month.

Mind you it was on the same news show as reports about thousands of job losses at Aviva and Bombardier
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
saw on the news yesterday that there has been a very small but nonetheless significant increase in average house prices in the Uk last month.

Mind you it was on the same news show as reports about thousands of job losses at Aviva and Bombardier
A twinkle of good news always follows with "one swallow does not a summer make"...
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

A twinkle of good news always follows with "one swallow does not a summer make"...
findling one that swallows can be the start of a good summer though!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
findling one that swallows can be the start of a good summer though!
Lots of them in dubizzle...
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The people that flee leaving debts

Originally Posted by IndieG
I notice because I see our provisions for bad debts rising sharply month after month on account of skips......
How do you calculate that over extended durations? Is it just guesswork or more analytical methods?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
How do you calculate that over extended durations? Is it just guesswork or more analytical methods?

Not guesswork...lol

Month-end, Qtr, half yearly MIS reports - just shows the amount of provision no account of skips, job loss...etc.