British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Pensions For Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/pensions-expats-775012/)

soukie Oct 18th 2012 4:28 pm

Pensions For Expats

Would you sign up for this? :rofl::rofl:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-pensions.html

shiva Oct 19th 2012 4:36 pm

Re: Pensions For Expats

you think it will be voluntary?

Meow Oct 21st 2012 8:25 am

They have been talking about it for years, since 2008 in fact. One of us wrote about this in April of this year so the Telegraph is a bit behind!

captainflack Oct 21st 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 10337738)
Would you sign up for this? :rofl::rofl:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-pensions.html

No. And the guy who said he'd keep more money here is out of his tiny mind.

I'd not keep any more money or assets here than I could afford to walk away from. There is no law other than what they say it is today, and they can change their minds tomorrow. Even if looking for an offshore place to store loot, there are 100 other far more trustworthy places that don't have a reputation for changing the rules to suit themselves.

Meow Oct 21st 2012 12:17 pm

Not to mention the possible effects of Sharia law...

The Dean Oct 22nd 2012 2:19 am

I got as far as the dreaded words 'The World Bank.....' and gave up........ if there was ever a discredited global institution, that's the one...........

Next: Look out for Dubai officials consulting 'EU Finance Ministers........' :huh:

Norm_uk Oct 22nd 2012 9:45 am

Pensions for people who have no right to perminant abode regardless of how long they stay and work in the country.

Pensions in a system where banks routinely freeze accounts, sharia law is applied and transparency is akin to looking for a black cat in a dark cellar at night.

If it's mandatory I can see a lot of informed people leaving...myself included. When any government starts telling me how to save, especially one like Dubai's then it's time to go.

N.

captainflack Oct 22nd 2012 12:02 pm

The idea that all salaries will have to be paid via an official government payment service is already on the cards. It will be sold under the basis that it 'protects' workers because the govt can see any companies that aren't paying workers. But the real point is firstly to charge a fee to every company on a sliding scale based on the salary (e.g. a tax). Once that is in place, they effectively have the machinery in place for income tax; they just work out how much is being paid in total (which they probably don't know at present) then decide what % they're going to charge.

Bahtatboy Oct 22nd 2012 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by captainflack (Post 10343354)
The idea that all salaries will have to be paid via an official government payment service is already on the cards. It will be sold under the basis that it 'protects' workers because the govt can see any companies that aren't paying workers. But the real point is firstly to charge a fee to every company on a sliding scale based on the salary (e.g. a tax). Once that is in place, they effectively have the machinery in place for income tax; they just work out how much is being paid in total (which they probably don't know at present) then decide what % they're going to charge.

Already in place, and has been for well over a year: Wages Protections System (WPS). Or is this only in AD?

Meow Oct 22nd 2012 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10343358)
Already in place, and has been for well over a year: Wages Protections System (WPS). Or is this only in AD?

It's across the whole of the UAE. I said at the time it was a possible forerunner of income tax.

Bahtatboy Oct 22nd 2012 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10343462)
It's across the whole of the UAE. I said at the time it was a possible forerunner of income tax.

A certain company I know pays most of its expats partly here and partly in their home countries. The part they pay here is the same as the "official" contract of employment lodged with the MOL. At a recent tribunal the MOL completely disregarded anything other than the official contract when reckoning the employee's remuneration. That has the potential to cut two ways, both painful.

Millhouse Oct 22nd 2012 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10342752)
I got as far as the dreaded words 'The World Bank.....' and gave up......

:lol: ... ask where the World Bank employees that work here have their pensions located.

The Dean Oct 22nd 2012 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10343817)
:lol: ... ask where the World Bank employees that work here have their pensions located.

Ooooh............ go on............ ?

Millhouse Oct 23rd 2012 2:59 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10343916)
Ooooh............ go on............ ?

not in-country for sure. In fact when the Work Bank (like all parts of the UN to be fair) open an office they are exempt of all local labour laws. Do as I say...