Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

PC or MAC. I thought I would never go Mac but.......

PC or MAC. I thought I would never go Mac but.......

Old Jul 27th 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: PC or MAC. I thought I would never go Mac but.......

I trialled a Macbook Pro the other day. Very fast, very nice. I can see why people love them so much. Crisp screen, little noticeable lagging I came home and thought about it, then I realised sticking a fast model SSD inside my ubuntu/windows machines may just narrow that speed gap down!

The internet has been threatened with becoming a walled garden many times, and the average user doesn't need the extensive power of the ridiculously expensive machines on the market. A lot of gamers have got themselves a games console to go with a £300 laptop for day to day use. That's still 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a decent Mac. Also consider that Steam are close to releasing a linux native client and shifting their games catalogue over. This should break Microsofts grip, particularly with the upcoming Windows8 release many people are angry with (economical monopoly/business reasons)
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:35 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
I`ve just bought my first Macbook Pro (15", 256 SSD, I7 processor, 8GB RAM etc etc) and its truly awesome

I used a fairly high spec PC before that but the Macbook is soooooo much better, I still have the PC (I find it better for some work stuff I use) but it seems so dated now......

Typical PC - it was lightning quick when I got it and now its a lot slower (someone put it to me recently that this could partly be as a result of the HDDs getting older and not spinning so fast?) but the Mac is still the same speed as the first time I hit the "On" button.....
I've got the same one, they are great machines. I've also got an iMac from 5 years ago which is still doing the business.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:35 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
I trialled a Macbook Pro the other day. Very fast, very nice. I can see why people love them so much. Crisp screen, little noticeable lagging I came home and thought about it, then I realised sticking a fast model SSD inside my ubuntu/windows machines may just narrow that speed gap down!

The internet has been threatened with becoming a walled garden many times, and the average user doesn't need the extensive power of the ridiculously expensive machines on the market. A lot of gamers have got themselves a games console to go with a £300 laptop for day to day use. That's still 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a decent Mac. Also consider that Steam are close to releasing a linux native client and shifting their games catalogue over. This should break Microsofts grip, particularly with the upcoming Windows8 release many people are angry with (economical monopoly/business reasons)
The new screens on the laptops are incredible.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

What's the best software for keeping your Mac running well?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:27 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
You don't need it. Seriously; after four years, my old MacBook Pro was still running lightening fast.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:35 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Just repair permissions and verify the disk from time to time using disk utility. And back up on an external HDD using time machine. In fact I repair permissions before any installation or software upgrade.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, I'll try Permissions.

(I haven't done this in almost 3 years of ownership and the spinning kaleidoscope of death was appearing too often!)
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
You don't need it. Seriously; after four years, my old MacBook Pro was still running lightening fast.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I've got the same one, they are great machines. I've also got an iMac from 5 years ago which is still doing the business.
Good taste
Old Jul 27th 2012, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
The new screens on the laptops are incredible.
I keep repeating it to myself:

"I must resist the urge"

"I must resist the urge"

Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask a quick questions, as Bob moved my Mac thread to The Lab where no-one posts.

I want to do this course. However, the course organisers told me that it is not compatible with Mac computers. Upon further investigation, it seems it may be OK, but they don't offer support if it goes wrong. They sent me this:

We do not offer support for Mac based systems and that is the reason why we state it is not compatible. The course should work if you have all the proper plugins below, but again, we do not offer computer based support for Mac users.

Internet Explorer (IE) version 5.5+/FireFox 1+ (Windows 98+) or Netscape 7.2+/FireFox 1+ will allow you to take full advantage of the range of features of the site. And Windows Media Player.

I have Safari. Will it work? Would appreciate some advice. Thanks. Bob said it should be fine, but I need a bit more information than that as the course is quite expensive. Also, it appears to give different options for what is required - what is the best option?

Thanks.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:18 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Can I ask a quick questions, as Bob moved my Mac thread to The Lab where no-one posts.

I want to do this course. However, the course organisers told me that it is not compatible with Mac computers. Upon further investigation, it seems it may be OK, but they don't offer support if it goes wrong. They sent me this:

We do not offer support for Mac based systems and that is the reason why we state it is not compatible. The course should work if you have all the proper plugins below, but again, we do not offer computer based support for Mac users.

Internet Explorer (IE) version 5.5+/FireFox 1+ (Windows 98+) or Netscape 7.2+/FireFox 1+ will allow you to take full advantage of the range of features of the site. And Windows Media Player.

I have Safari. Will it work? Would appreciate some advice. Thanks. Bob said it should be fine, but I need a bit more information than that as the course is quite expensive. Also, it appears to give different options for what is required - what is the best option?

Thanks.
Download FireFox (which works on Mac), and Flip4Mac which will allow you to play any Windows Media Files.

To be fair, I think I'd throw up a stink and remind them that around 5-10% of computer users use Macs, and that is only growing. Also, ownership amongst medium to high income earning families is significantly higher (I remember seeing secret industry figures which put personal ownership in medium to high income families at around 20% in the UK alone). You know, the families that will be able to afford their expensive courses.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Download FireFox (which works on Mac), and Flip4Mac which will allow you to play any Windows Media Files.

To be fair, I think I'd throw up a stink and remind them that around 5-10% of computer users use Macs, and that is only growing. Also, ownership amongst medium to high income earning families is significantly higher (I remember seeing secret industry figures which put personal ownership in medium to high income families at around 20% in the UK alone). You know, the families that will be able to afford their expensive courses.
Thanks auzdafluff. Yeah, it is shocking how many organisations are stuck in the dark ages. When I did my MBA through the OU just a couple of years ago, there were loads of course materials I couldn't access for this very reason.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:21 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

If you must. This stuff was crashing all the time and eventually I stopped using Firefox. It is too big, hungry and unstable for my taste. I used Chrome for a while but that wasn't great either so now back to Safari, release 6 rocks.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:44 pm
You read these things?

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
If you must. This stuff was crashing all the time and eventually I stopped using Firefox. It is too big, hungry and unstable for my taste. I used Chrome for a while but that wasn't great either so now back to Safari, release 6 rocks.
I use Chrome myself. Made the switch after Firefox became unbearably slow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.