Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

PC or MAC. I thought I would never go Mac but.......

PC or MAC. I thought I would never go Mac but.......

Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PC or MAC. I thought I would never go Mac but.......

This has gone far too technical for me- I like the fact I have a little coat for my macbook air- a nice little red one :-)
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:16 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
The problem is that a lot of the time Apple don't plug their security holes nor fix their known bugs hence they issue less updates. Windows have been kicked so many times over the years that they now have a monthly patch day and they will issue critical things in between. This is a good thing not a bad one! And please don't try the 'windows has more bugs than osx and therefore needs more updates' bollocks...

And talking about the less frequent updates to OSX they are hugely risky. Three times I have had fatal errors occur during updates and had I not been making frequent backups I would have been up shit creek.

I have replaced the HDD in my MBP as it failed so please don't think that Mac are infallible. It was a Fujitsu HDD by the way. One of the worst HDD brands for quality.

I also have had the pleasure of heading the IT department for a near 100% Mac environment and we used to have all sorts of reliability issues related to hardware. Examples of common issues were keyboard playing up (usually but not always a logic board/motherboard related problem), DVD drive spinning uncontrollably (bad quality drives), fans running constantly (bad quality fans) and keypad issues (component failure). None of these issues are significantly different from those I would expect to encounter on a PC...

Anyway I ramble.... (my objective is to inform rather than influence though)
When was the last time you had a virus on a mac?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:59 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
When was the last time you had a virus on a mac?
I haven't personally, but they do definitely exist and the more popular mac becomes the more targeted the platform will become. Mac is not inherently safer, although some more enthusiastic users like to claim that it is. I saw a few examples of viruses, trojans and malware at work though.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

As far as browsers go, Safari on PC ha suffered alot of setbacks due to safety issues.

But yes, what Norsk says. There has been a steady rise in virus/malware aimed at macs in recent years (and its expected to rise). Explains why there is anti virus/malware software available for macs too... But as a wise PC user, you'd know to cover yourself and set up a safe system, as well as not click every other link in your spam box.

PC towers have been good looking for awhile, of course, not employed by the big companies..so in general, esthetically, I'd agree macs are the better looking but prone to exactly the same problems as a pc.

I do fullheartedly support the apple dropping of flash player..it is continuously crashing on me..come on html5.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:01 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

The problem is that a lot of the time Apple don't plug their security holes nor fix their known bugs hence they issue less updates. Windows have been kicked so many times over the years that they now have a monthly patch day and they will issue critical things in between. This is a good thing not a bad one! And please don't try the 'windows has more bugs than osx and therefore needs more updates' bollocks...

And talking about the less frequent updates to OSX they are hugely risky. Three times I have had fatal errors occur during updates and had I not been making frequent backups I would have been up shit creek.

I have replaced the HDD in my MBP as it failed so please don't think that Mac are infallible. It was a Fujitsu HDD by the way. One of the worst HDD brands for quality.

I also have had the pleasure of heading the IT department for a near 100% Mac environment and we used to have all sorts of reliability issues related to hardware. Examples of common issues were keyboard playing up (usually but not always a logic board/motherboard related problem), DVD drive spinning uncontrollably (bad quality drives), fans running constantly (bad quality fans) and keypad issues (component failure). None of these issues are significantly different from those I would expect to encounter on a PC...

Anyway I ramble.... (my objective is to inform rather than influence though)
Your experience is appreciated. However, my Mac experience is immeasurably better than PC experience. And I wasn't saving of my Windows based laptop specs either. Of course there is always a risk a HDD can fail so I backup my Mac bi-weekly using Time machine. I find it a lot more intuitive and easier than using any of the Windows based stuff. Yes, OSX has bugs but again in my experience it runs much smoother. I don't dick around with the computer so maybe that's why. But that is all I want - to use the computer when I need it. Not interested any more in bits and bytes and getting a new video card, two million different settings, etc. I am telling you in almost six years I have not had to rebuild my machine while on Windows on average every year and a half I would have had to go through that painful experience of getting all installation CDs out and spending a full weekend looking at the progress bar.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kittycat1
This has gone far too technical for me- I like the fact I have a little coat for my macbook air- a nice little red one :-)
Mine is navyblue and white.....take it with us for travelling - love, love, love my macbookpro and macbook air.....
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:11 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Your experience is appreciated. However, my Mac experience is immeasurably better than PC experience. And I wasn't saving of my Windows based laptop specs either. Of course there is always a risk a HDD can fail so I backup my Mac bi-weekly using Time machine. I find it a lot more intuitive and easier than using any of the Windows based stuff. Yes, OSX has bugs but again in my experience it runs much smoother. I don't dick around with the computer so maybe that's why. But that is all I want - to use the computer when I need it. Not interested any more in bits and bytes and getting a new video card, two million different settings, etc. I am telling you in almost six years I have not had to rebuild my machine while on Windows on average every year and a half I would have had to go through that painful experience of getting all installation CDs out and spending a full weekend looking at the progress bar.
That's great and i am glad you have a positive experience. I wasn't trying to say that you haven't. I only wanted to make it clear to those reading that Mac isn't a silver bullet. Yes it has many benefits over PCs , but at the end of the day it is just another computer which can go wrong in any number of ways..

Like i said earlier in the thread i am looking forward to buying a new MBP soon!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:16 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

That's great and i am glad you have a positive experience. I wasn't trying to say that you haven't. I only wanted to make it clear to those reading that Mac isn't a silver bullet. Yes it has many benefits over PCs , but at the end of the day it is just another computer which can go wrong in any number of ways..

Like i said earlier in the thread i am looking forward to buying a new MBP soon!
That's understood.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Like i said earlier in the thread i am looking forward to buying a new MBP soon! [/QUOTE]

Enjoy you lucky bugger......
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

I`ve just bought my first Macbook Pro (15", 256 SSD, I7 processor, 8GB RAM etc etc) and its truly awesome

I used a fairly high spec PC before that but the Macbook is soooooo much better, I still have the PC (I find it better for some work stuff I use) but it seems so dated now......

Typical PC - it was lightning quick when I got it and now its a lot slower (someone put it to me recently that this could partly be as a result of the HDDs getting older and not spinning so fast?) but the Mac is still the same speed as the first time I hit the "On" button.....
Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Mine is navyblue and white.....take it with us for travelling - love, love, love my macbookpro and macbook air.....
you break yours on a weekly basis though
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:29 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

MAC every time. Changed 3 years ago and never looked back.

One of the things I like is when I turn it on in the morning I know it will work. There are other multiple reasons why I like MAC products, I find them intuitive, reliable and if you have more than one MAC product they work well together. I never worry about downloading apps from the app store as they are coming from a reliable source whereas when downloading new software for Windoze I found that I was Googling to see if the website was safe.

Malware and things. On my MBP I have Sophos antivirus. It's free, runs in the background and doesn't slow my system at all. I know that a lot of people don't bother with antivirus but as another poster pointed out the more popular that MAC's become the more attention they are likely to attract from nasty people. I downloaded Sophos on the basis that's it's better than nothing and it reviews quite well.

It's quite possible than you have not heard of Sophos unless you are in an enterprise IT environment as that is where their primary focus is. Check them out on Google, they are very big and well respected.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

ScottishLee is just really niceScottishLee is just really niceScottishLee is just really niceScottishLee is just really niceScottishLee is just really niceScottishLee is just really niceScottishLee is just really niceScottishLee is just really nice

MacBook Pro is the way forward
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottishLee
MacBook Pro is the way forward
Indeed......
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hnd

It's quite possible than you have not heard of Sophos unless you are in an enterprise IT environment as that is where their primary focus is. Check them out on Google, they are very big and well respected.
Just got it, thanks for the tip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.