Payment of school fees

Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:17 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Cow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really nice
Angry Payment of school fees

Hi guys

I have recently had a provisional offer for my son at a school in Dubai. They have said:

"In order to confirm your child’s place, you will be required to pay the assessment fee of Dhs 500/- as well as an advance fee of Dhs 500/- by 7th June 2009 which will be deducted from your child’s first term’s Tuition Fee. Your name will automatically be removed from our list of students if payment has not been received by this date. If fees are paid by the company, it is your responsibility to follow up payment.

Your child will be required to sit an assessment once he arrives. The school has the right to withdraw this offer if the assessment proves to be unsuccessful.

The balance of Term 1 Tuition fee is due on 30th June 2009. Students will not be allowed to start unless this account has been settled."

I am comfortable with the first two payments but to expect first term payment by the end of this month when I am still looking at other schools and waiting lists can they do this? I had heard that the Ministry had stopped this type of approach...? Any help appreciated!! Thanks, Dan.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:20 am
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Payment of school fees

The 500dhs thay can ask for but they are not allowed to insist the full term fees are paid until the start of term....

Look up KHDA website or go on Expatwoman they good for this kind of stuff
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

They are breaking the law. There was a Ministry ruling a few months ago about schools asking for payment so far ahead.

Bear with me and I'll find the info.

I'd also like to know which school so I can follow this up for my column. Would you mind PMing me? Ta

-
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Daniel Marsden
Hi guys

I have recently had a provisional offer for my son at a school in Dubai. They have said:

"In order to confirm your child’s place, you will be required to pay the assessment fee of Dhs 500/- as well as an advance fee of Dhs 500/- by 7th June 2009 which will be deducted from your child’s first term’s Tuition Fee. Your name will automatically be removed from our list of students if payment has not been received by this date. If fees are paid by the company, it is your responsibility to follow up payment.

Your child will be required to sit an assessment once he arrives. The school has the right to withdraw this offer if the assessment proves to be unsuccessful.

The balance of Term 1 Tuition fee is due on 30th June 2009. Students will not be allowed to start unless this account has been settled."

I am comfortable with the first two payments but to expect first term payment by the end of this month when I am still looking at other schools and waiting lists can they do this? I had heard that the Ministry had stopped this type of approach...? Any help appreciated!! Thanks, Dan.
Its all about the money!!!

Our school wants payment of fees no later than 6 September, which is the first day of term, and is now the norm apparently.

They are trying it on!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Extracts from an article I wrote a while ago:

Most schools have websites that provide information regarding their schools and where you can make an initial registration. Some time later you will be advised if your child has a place or is on a waiting list. Schools will charge a registration fee and in some cases this is quoted as several thousand Dirhams, although article 52.2 of the Private Education bylaw from the Ministry of Education states that this deposit or registration fee should not be more than five per cent of the total fees with a maximum of Dhs 500 per child. This means that a school can charge either five per cent of the school fees or Dhs500 – whichever is lower. This deposit is then subtracted from the school fees if the child joins, but is not refunded if the student does not join the school.

It is not unknown for schools to ask for the fees many months ahead and this is particularly prevalent towards the end of the summer term in preparation of the next school year. This issue was queries quite recently by a number of parents and the Knowledge & Human Development Agency’s Licensing department has replied to their queries and has taken up the issue with the respective schools. As per Article 52.1 of the Private Education bylaw this is illegal. The article clearly states that schools can only collect school fees at the beginning of each term or month and cannot force the parents to pay any fees in advance.

You should point this out to the school as they are clearly in breach of legislation.

-
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:25 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Cow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Meow
Extracts from an article I wrote a while ago:

Most schools have websites that provide information regarding their schools and where you can make an initial registration. Some time later you will be advised if your child has a place or is on a waiting list. Schools will charge a registration fee and in some cases this is quoted as several thousand Dirhams, although article 52.2 of the Private Education bylaw from the Ministry of Education states that this deposit or registration fee should not be more than five per cent of the total fees with a maximum of Dhs 500 per child. This means that a school can charge either five per cent of the school fees or Dhs500 – whichever is lower. This deposit is then subtracted from the school fees if the child joins, but is not refunded if the student does not join the school.

It is not unknown for schools to ask for the fees many months ahead and this is particularly prevalent towards the end of the summer term in preparation of the next school year. This issue was queries quite recently by a number of parents and the Knowledge & Human Development Agency’s Licensing department has replied to their queries and has taken up the issue with the respective schools. As per Article 52.1 of the Private Education bylaw this is illegal. The article clearly states that schools can only collect school fees at the beginning of each term or month and cannot force the parents to pay any fees in advance.

You should point this out to the school as they are clearly in breach of legislation.

-
Thanks guys - I thought as much. Swines. Any further info, links to Ministry sites etc welcome - need to load both barrels before I reply... Cheers.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:27 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Thanks guys - I thought as much. Swines. Any further info, links to Ministry sites etc welcome - need to load both barrels before I reply... Cheers.
Brilliant - cheers Meow - superstar.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:28 am
Bored liberal

Just quote the bylaws. They know what the real situation is.

-
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yep as said they can only get 500 off you and then you must pay the fees at the beg of term.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:51 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

i had to pay a regestration fee for my daughters nursary in April of over 1000AED. she doesnt even start till september??
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

deemi786 is just really nicedeemi786 is just really nicedeemi786 is just really nicedeemi786 is just really nicedeemi786 is just really nicedeemi786 is just really nicedeemi786 is just really nicedeemi786 is just really nicedeemi786 is just really nicedeemi786 is just really nicedeemi786 is just really nice

Originally Posted by commander
i had to pay a regestration fee for my daughters nursary in April of over 1000AED. she doesnt even start till september??
GEMS WORLD ACADAMY are now offering discounts for those who pay up front...

pdf attached..

I refuse to pay for any terms fee's until that term is over.......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Discount_Fee_Structure.pdf (1.39 MB, 103 views)
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
the 500 is only applicable in dxb, not ad. they can ask for rego fees etc,but not actually school fees before term starts. if you start at bsak then you have to pay a lot more than 1k to secure your spot.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:54 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
the 500 is only applicable in dxb, not ad. they can ask for rego fees etc,but not actually school fees before term starts. if you start at bsak then you have to pay a lot more than 1k to secure your spot.
nursery....not school....read the question..

and i dont have to pay anything...
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

no but bsak has a nursery part to it too.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:57 am
banned

Originally Posted by busybee2
no but bsak has a nursery part to it too.
so?, its hardly the only one, and ive been told its not very good. So we are not going there.
are you saying it has the same regestration rules for an 18month old for nursery that at the main school..

or are you posting for posting sake again..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.