Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques

Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques

Old Jun 16th 2013, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques

Update please Lala!

What have you gone for?
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Update please Lala!

What have you gone for?
Rejected both offers. One offered only 24 days holiday, the other only 17dh a day for lunch.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Update please Lala!

What have you gone for?
Am still undecided. Tell me, is it normal practice for employers to provide medical cover for the people you sponsor, or just the employee?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Am still undecided. Tell me, is it normal practice for employers to provide medical cover for the people you sponsor, or just the employee?

Thanks.
No set rules/norms, depends on the firm. Most would cover family visa and medical.

We provide family status cover - medical and visas etc....but NOT if it is the wife we employ.

EG: You get employed, we'd provide you with medical and visa, but your husband coming with you? He needs to sort his shit out......and yes, we're Western (I think this rule is disgusting personally).
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

No set rules/norms, depends on the firm. Most would cover family visa and medical.

We provide family status cover - medical and visas etc....but NOT if it is the wife we employ.

EG: You get employed, we'd provide you with medical and visa, but your husband coming with you? He needs to sort his shit out......and yes, we're Western (I think this rule is disgusting personally).
Thanks Scamp. I need to sponsor the kids, but Job B will not provide Medical Insurance for them, I need to buy it myself.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:49 am
Account Closed

Thanks Scamp. I need to sponsor the kids, but Job B will not provide Medical Insurance for them, I need to buy it myself.
What about your husband's cover? (I'm just making a wild assumption that you're married here btw...)
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

What about your husband's cover? (I'm just making a wild assumption that you're married here btw...)
We're all currently under my husband's sponsorship but he cannot sponsor us anymore. This is because he works in AD but we live in Dubai. They recently changed the rules so that you have to have an AD Tenancy Contract if you want to sponsor your family.

So, we will no longer have health insurance. Well, if I go for Job B, anyway.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

We're all currently under my husband's sponsorship but he cannot sponsor us anymore. This is because he works in AD but we live in Dubai. They recently changed the rules so that you have to have an AD Tenancy Contract if you want to sponsor your family.

So, we will no longer have health insurance. Well, if I go for Job B, anyway.
Hmm

Ways round it:

1. Ask for health for you + kiddies.
2. Kids cover will cost 15,000 (for example) for the year...so you need to ask for an extra AED1,250 per month on the package.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmm

Ways round it:

1. Ask for health for you + kiddies.
2. Kids cover will cost 15,000 (for example) for the year...so you need to ask for an extra AED1,250 per month on the package.
Might it be that much? Ouch! Good idea to ask for more to cover it, though.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Might it be that much? Ouch! Good idea to ask for more to cover it, though.
Oh I've no idea, I'm just plucking figures from the sky.

It might be 1,000 per kid for the year...which would make it almost pointless being bothered by it.

Just different ways of looking at having the cover.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Scamp, I get it. Appreciate your help.

ETA: Just tried to give you some karma, but apparently I only give karma to you and Millhouse and need to 'spread it around' a bit first.

Last edited by LaLaLayla; Jun 17th 2013 at 12:31 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Scamp, I get it. Appreciate your help.

ETA: Just tried to give you some karma, but apparently I only give karma to you and Millhouse and need to 'spread it around' a bit first.
Haha, no worries.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 12:45 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Have you asked if it is possible to include your childen on the company policy if you pay the premiums? That can usually be done very easily as it's just a case of the employer wanting to keep costs down. Usually cheaper than arranging personal plans.