Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques

Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques

Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying rent in 1 or 4 cheques

Originally Posted by Scamp
Which is the better job?
That's a fair question. Unfortunately, it is like comparing apples to oranges. One offers a great package, the other offers nice people. I am inclined towards the nice people.

The one thing I want to know is... is it a big deal for a company to sponsor your family? Is it hugely expensive for them and do they have to provide everyone with health insurance, at their expense?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
That's a fair question. Unfortunately, it is like comparing apples to oranges. One offers a great package, the other offers nice people. I am inclined towards the nice people.

The one thing I want to know is... is it a big deal for a company to sponsor your family? Is it hugely expensive for them and do they have to provide everyone with health insurance, at their expense?
Aw come on LaLa, it's important to line up the things that matter:

Job - is it good?
Company - is it good?
Money - is it good?
Location - is it good?

Whichever order they come in differs for everyone but at the moment, you're just comparing packages.

Why not pick which is better for each of those four?

Yeah, sponsoring isn't cheap.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Aw come on LaLa, it's important to line up the things that matter:

Job - is it good? Yes - both are good jobs (job B nicer people)Company - is it good? Yes - both are stable multinationalsMoney - is it good? Yes (but Job A better)Location - is it good? Yes - both in DIFC
Whichever order they come in differs for everyone but at the moment, you're just comparing packages.

Why not pick which is better for each of those four?

Yeah, sponsoring isn't cheap.
I have been offered Job B and am still negotiating salary. It will not be as much as Job A. I will also not be able to go to the gym with Job B, unfortunately.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have been offered Job B and am still negotiating salary. It will not be as much as Job A. I will also not be able to go to the gym with Job B, unfortunately.
I??

You have only been with your current employer about two months - last time the two packages were so tight it boiled down to the value of the luncheon vouchers.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I??

You have only been with your current employer about two months - last time the two packages were so tight it boiled down to the value of the luncheon vouchers.
Ha ha! Yeah, the luncheon vouchers . I have to make everything work on a spreadsheet, I have a hard job comparing non-tangible things.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Don't take this the wrong way, please, but I think you should just go for money.

I reckon that's all that really matters to you (not a bad thing) and if the gym can be done - bonus!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I asked Billy Connolly for advice on your predicament. He said 'Job B'
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by saudiflares
I asked Billy Connolly for advice on your predicament. He said 'Job B'
Huh?!?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

What I want to do is to take all the attribues of Job A and give them to Job B: good salary, time to go to the gym.. that's about it, really. I can cope with the loss of parking... and luncheon vouchers
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

What I want to do is to take all the attribues of Job A and give them to Job B: good salary, time to go to the gym.. that's about it, really. I can cope with the loss of parking... and luncheon vouchers
1. What is the salary difference? 1%? 5%? 10%? 20%?
2. If you want to go to the gym that badly, you'll find the time
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

Sorry, the reason I am banging on at you about this is that you would not believe the amount of CVs I've seen that are a bit spoiled by someone taking money over quality of job/company because it's a short term win.

If they'd taken the company with a better role and potential 5 years ago, instead of quick cash money....they'd probably be earning more today, in a better position.

BUT, with you, your situation could be so so so different, that might be irrelevant. We might be talking about which shop to work in or which bar, or which bank or which car dealership or which ad agency etc....H&M or Topshop, the people at H&M are cool, but topshop are paying 11,000 instead of 10,000....none of which matters because your feller is loaded. I hope that makes sense and isn't insulting. It's the best analogy I could come up with.

Loads to consider and I obviously know nothing about the roles, companies, money, personal situation etc etc etc etc etc but if I ask enough stupid questions, you'll probably answer them yourself and know which option is best.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Scamp. You make some good points.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Scamp. You make some good points.
It's genuinely difficult without all the info and knowing you personally to give actual advice on things like this.

You seem to know what's what and you seem nice so you'll make a good call......probably

Good luck.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, the reason I am banging on at you about this is that you would not believe the amount of CVs I've seen that are a bit spoiled by someone taking money over quality of job/company because it's a short term win.

If they'd taken the company with a better role and potential 5 years ago, instead of quick cash money....they'd probably be earning more today, in a better position.

BUT, with you, your situation could be so so so different, that might be irrelevant. We might be talking about which shop to work in or which bar, or which bank or which car dealership or which ad agency etc....H&M or Topshop, the people at H&M are cool, but topshop are paying 11,000 instead of 10,000....none of which matters because your feller is loaded. I hope that makes sense and isn't insulting. It's the best analogy I could come up with.

Loads to consider and I obviously know nothing about the roles, companies, money, personal situation etc etc etc etc etc but if I ask enough stupid questions, you'll probably answer them yourself and know which option is best.
I get your points Scamp. I once accepted a job as the receptionist had great norks and I thought I'd get a chance. She left before I joined.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I get your points Scamp. I once accepted a job as the receptionist had great norks and I thought I'd get a chance. She left before I joined.
My old place out here keep hiring fitties, my not-so-new-place-now punted two in the weeks before I started.

C'est la vie. I've got a better one at home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.