British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Paying for flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/paying-flights-754606/)

The Dean Apr 11th 2012 8:58 pm

Paying for flights

I think we've covered this before, but I can't remember the answer - sorry........ :o

Emirates - and maybe other airlines as well - are insisting that the person travelling has to be the one who buys the ticket............. when I ask them 'why?' they can't even tell me, other than that it's their 'policy'.... :frown:

I don't get it - does everyone else get this problem? What about unaccompanied minors - are they supposed to have their own bank account or credit card? How do you get round it?

weasel decentral Apr 11th 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Paying for flights

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10000944)
I think we've covered this before, but I can't remember the answer - sorry........ :o

Emirates - and maybe other airlines as well - are insisting that the person travelling has to be the one who buys the ticket............. when I ask them 'why?' they can't even tell me, other than that it's their 'policy'.... :frown:

I don't get it - does everyone else get this problem? What about unaccompanied minors - are they supposed to have their own bank account or credit card? How do you get round it?

call to the office pay cash or at least in person. i think i had to do that before

Oyibopeppeh Apr 12th 2012 3:55 am

Some want to see a copy of the CC used to make the payment, others also want a letter of authorization from the cardholder plus a copy of the cardholder's passport.

TheShed Apr 12th 2012 6:06 am

Its actually very interesting. As a Skywards Gold Card holder (and calling the gold card call centre) they always let me book 3rd party tickets. About two weeks ago, I got an eMail from them formalising this as well.

Very strange!

Meow Apr 12th 2012 6:30 am

http://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/...-payments#full

The Dean Apr 12th 2012 9:31 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 10001546)
Its actually very interesting. As a Skywards Gold Card holder (and calling the gold card call centre) they always let me book 3rd party tickets. About two weeks ago, I got an eMail from them formalising this as well.

Very strange!

I'm one of them............... so to speak.... as it were.... I might try that next time.......

UKCityGent Apr 12th 2012 10:52 am

A Mastercard gift card or a pre-paid Mastercard) ??

giddyup Apr 12th 2012 3:38 pm

Its a fraud protection tool used by most airline in the e-commerce sales channels. There are varying providers who offer the service and it supposedly profiles customers and then requires them to provide proof of card at check in.

It saves the airlines millions in fraud but pisses people off no end. Any frequent flyer (who by definition is a known and loyal customer of the airline) should never be subject to it.

OriginalSunshine Apr 13th 2012 12:23 pm

What about unaccompanied minors - are they supposed to have their own bank account or credit card?

sometimes yes. the major banks here allow minors to have credit cards linked to parent's account. So depending on how much you trust mini-Dean, you could give them a joint access card (with say a limited value). you can also get all payments on that card to go straight to your mobile phone.