British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Passport question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/passport-question-827871/)

kittycat1 Mar 7th 2014 7:01 pm

Passport question

Ok, so I finally got round to getting my new passport as my old one has zero room left in it. So they have given me my old passport with my UAE visa in it with the corners cut off and then my shiny new one. Obviously the new passport has a new number, so do I need to do anything else, or just carry around both passports? When applying for KSA visa do I hand over both as they need to see my UAE visa?

I've seen people with passports stuck together? Should I get the Pritt Stick out?

Thanks
KC

OleJanx Mar 7th 2014 7:43 pm

Re: Passport question

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11163184)
Ok, so I finally got round to getting my new passport as my old one has zero room left in it. So they have given me my old passport with my UAE visa in it with the corners cut off and then my shiny new one. Obviously the new passport has a new number, so do I need to do anything else, or just carry around both passports? When applying for KSA visa do I hand over both as they need to see my UAE visa?

I've seen people with passports stuck together? Should I get the Pritt Stick out?

Thanks
KC

When I was in that situation, the old, full up but still valid passport was stapled behind the shiny new passport ( and yes, the corners were cut off, but it still confused some berk in Dover who, faced with what seemed to be three passports, was looking fotr the third person in the car I was in)
Not quite sure how KSA would react to two-passports-in one - It might be worth asking at the consulate in Dubai what they think, if you can face the mysogonistic arsewipes...

Millhouse Mar 8th 2014 6:14 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11163232)
When I was in that situation, the old, full up but still valid passport was stapled behind the shiny new passport ( and yes, the corners were cut off, but it still confused some berk in Dover who, faced with what seemed to be three passports, was looking fotr the third person in the car I was in)
Not quite sure how KSA would react to two-passports-in one - It might be worth asking at the consulate in Dubai what they think, if you can face the mysogonistic arsewipes...

Just stable them together - or don't bother and carry them seperatly. You only need the old one to present to the UAE your residence visa (or use egate)

When apply for a GCC visa... yes, show both passports.

kittycat1 Mar 8th 2014 6:40 am

OK and as my egate was done against my old passport number is it still Ok to use or do I need to get it updated?

Bahtatboy Mar 8th 2014 8:29 am

Yep, as others have said. No issues with visas or getting in/out of KSA, other than the usual moronic ones.

Millhouse Mar 8th 2014 8:56 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11163739)
OK and as my egate was done against my old passport number is it still Ok to use or do I need to get it updated?

The egate is tied to the visa. No need to update just yet.

mikewot Mar 8th 2014 9:45 am

I'm waiting for my new passport to come back (nearly 4 weeks now). Visa has 10 months left and HR tell me I must carry on with old passport for visa and new passport for everything else.
Not sticking the two together as I have egate card and haven't been asked for passport coming into DXB for over 2 years (fly every couple of months).

Alexa Mar 8th 2014 11:29 am

I just got my new passport a week ago. Old one with my RP (residency permit) was clipped.
My husband took both passports to work and the Mandoop took them someplace and I received a new RP in my new passport.
That's in Qatar, but is it not the same over there??

busybee2 Mar 8th 2014 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11163184)

Thanks
KC

no just carry both around.

busybee2 Mar 8th 2014 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11163739)

egate is to do with the visa, or just do the new smart e-passport instead and its free, they are going to be phasing out the egate at some point here anyways.

busybee2 Mar 8th 2014 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 11163908)
I just got my new passport a week ago. Old one with my RP (residency permit) was clipped.
My husband took both passports to work and the Mandoop took them someplace and I received a new RP in my new passport.
That's in Qatar, but is it not the same over there??

yes you can get them to put the visa in new passport but they will charge you again for it, its not free.

NorthernLad Mar 8th 2014 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11163808)
The egate is tied to the visa. No need to update just yet.

One of my guys had his passport renewed (Canadian), visa was still valid. Tried to get into Qatar and was rejected as he left UAE using eGate.

I'd check with the DNATA people just to be safe.

Alexa Mar 8th 2014 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11164006)
yes you can get them to put the visa in new passport but they will charge you again for it, its not free.

No, I did not pay anything. If there is a fee, then apparently my husband's employer paid for it.

busybee2 Mar 9th 2014 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 11164288)
No, I did not pay anything. If there is a fee, then apparently my husband's employer paid for it.

there is a fee in uae its not free as they have to reissue the visa in new passport.

BinCat Mar 10th 2014 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11164004)
egate is to do with the visa, or just do the new smart e-passport instead and its free, they are going to be phasing out the egate at some point here anyways.

What's the ''new smart e-passport'' pls?