British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Passport - out of pages (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/passport-out-pages-771677/)

kittycat1 Sep 15th 2012 5:00 pm

Passport - out of pages

Hi all,

My passport is currently in for my visa renewal. I only have a couple of empty pages left though, most of my up and coming trips are just a stamp but i have Australia at xmas- do they require more space than that for a visa on entry or anything?

one way or another im going to need a new passport, either before or after oz, I understand it has to go off to germany and where do you get the forms? do you have to go through the british embassy or anything?- does anyone know how long it takes estimated?

Thanks

KC
x

Kix Sep 15th 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Passport - out of pages

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10282369)
Hi all,

My passport is currently in for my visa renewal. I only have a couple of empty pages left though, most of my up and coming trips are just a stamp but i have Australia at xmas- do they require more space than that for a visa on entry or anything?

one way or another im going to need a new passport, either before or after oz, I understand it has to go off to germany and where do you get the forms? do you have to go through the british embassy or anything?- does anyone know how long it takes estimated?

Thanks

KC
x

It takes about 2-3 weeks, send it via dhl and use the C1 application form on the FCO's website.

Easy.

kittycat1 Sep 15th 2012 5:09 pm

and does your old passport have to be completely full or can you do it when you have a couple of pages left?

2-3 weeks isnt bad - what if it takes longer and you're due to travel?

Kix Sep 15th 2012 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10282387)
and does your old passport have to be completely full or can you do it when you have a couple of pages left?

2-3 weeks isnt bad - what if it takes longer and you're due to travel?

No it doesn't matter, you can change your passport at any time, and when my stepson's was sent a couple of weeks back, in early August, (peak time), it took under 2 weeks door to door.

OriginalSunshine Sep 15th 2012 5:18 pm

my son's took 6 weeks in April.

Australia only needs whole pages if they need a whole page visa (eg some form of residency). If you're going for a holiday e-visa, then it's just a single stamp on the way in and one on the way out.

busybee2 Sep 15th 2012 5:52 pm

its not peak time now so it should only take a couple of weeks, we did ours middle of may, and it took 6 weeks. they will add upto 9 months to your date, so you can send it earlier but obviously closer to xmas it will get longer i suspect. if you are due to travel then put that down on the form, but its down to you to get your passport renewed in time, there is a disclamer there on the form to say that do not book any flights etc until you have new passport etc, so there is no comeback on them. the forms off the internet, you need to get the pictures done and they are very specific and make sure that you follow them to the line otherwise it will delay it further. i would send it away now, plenty of time before xmas rush. come april next year it will be all done in uk, so no need to send to germany as the forms are checked etc in dusseldorf and then the new passports are printed in uk and sent from there, so you get 2 parcels which most times do not come together, and you need them as you need your uae visa in order to travel so that can delay it even further.

get a bigger 48 page one too.

mikewot Sep 15th 2012 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 10282446)
you need to get the pictures done and they are very specific and make sure that you follow them to the line otherwise it will delay it further.

If you have a valid picture UK driving licence they will use that picture, no need for new ones.

TheShed Sep 16th 2012 3:22 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10282449)
If you have a valid picture UK driving licence they will use that picture, no need for new ones.

Not sure if that is correct. I renew at least one of my passports every year (I travel a ridiculous amount for work). Once I submitted the same photo as a previous application and they rejected it saying, "this cannot be a recent photo as it was used for a passport application 9 months previous".

The notes to the C1 state that the photo should be less than one month old I believe.

I would get new ones KC just to be sure.

mikewot Sep 16th 2012 4:27 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 10282865)
Not sure if that is correct. I renew at least one of my passports every year (I travel a ridiculous amount for work). Once I submitted the same photo as a previous application and they rejected it saying, "this cannot be a recent photo as it was used for a passport application 9 months previous".

Bizarre! My wife renewed online and the website suggested that she use the driving licence option, which she did, and the new passport was through the door (in UK) a few days later with everything done online.

TheShed Sep 16th 2012 5:02 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10282904)
Bizarre! My wife renewed online and the website suggested that she use the driving licence option, which she did, and the new passport was through the door (in UK) a few days later with everything done online.

Interesting, I did not know there was an online option :P I have always used the DHL to Germany route. I will try online next time.

co durham boy Sep 16th 2012 5:49 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10282369)
Hi all,

Thanks

KC
x

No stamp required for Oz , i'm going in December , everything done online .

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/evisitor/

mikewot Sep 16th 2012 6:11 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 10282919)
Interesting, I did not know there was an online option :P I have always used the DHL to Germany route. I will try online next time.

My wife lives in UK (only visits here occasionally) so it's quite probable that you still have to use DHL out here.

kittycat1 Sep 16th 2012 6:20 am

thanks all.

will try and get it done when i get my passport back from my renewal.

busybee2 Sep 16th 2012 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 10282919)

online only works if you are uk resident, and yes if you have piccie within last 5 years you can renew your driving licence online, but of course as non uk resident non of the above applies.

busybee2 Sep 16th 2012 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10282449)

only if you are living in the uk can you do that as mentioned above.