Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Pancake Day / Shrove Tuesday

Pancake Day / Shrove Tuesday

Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pancake Day / Shrove Tuesday

Originally Posted by Scamp
Therefore, for Lent you will continue to not smoke.

I once gave up drinking for Lent ....My friends sponsored me and I raised 980 pounds to put a/c into the local church :-)
I wandered the desert of sobriety for 40 days and 40 nights
Mind you the bastard vicar lied to me..it was more like 48 days
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I once gave up drinking for Lent ....My friends sponsored me and I raised 980 pounds to put a/c into the local church :-)
I wandered the desert of sobriety for 40 days and 40 nights
Mind you the bastard vicar lied to me..it was more like 48 days
That's ballsy.

I'm thinking my being nice to people will be really tough.

I can't commit to no booze
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

That's ballsy.

I'm thinking my being nice to people will be really tough.

I can't commit to no booze
I have to do it now and again..just to make sure I still can
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I have to do it now and again..just to make sure I still can
To be honest, the last time I had a drink was on Saturday. I've got no brunch this weekend so unless I go out, I won't drink until for another week.

That doesn't really bother me. Setting a rule to say no drinking would make me want one when normally I wouldn't.

The only other thing I can think I might be sensible doing is cutting down on my smoking. Currently at about 15-a-day and would like that to come down a bit...
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:36 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, the last time I had a drink was on Saturday. I've got no brunch this weekend so unless I go out, I won't drink until for another week.

That doesn't really bother me. Setting a rule to say no drinking would make me want one when normally I wouldn't.

The only other thing I can think I might be sensible doing is cutting down on my smoking. Currently at about 15-a-day and would like that to come down a bit...
Nothing to make you crave a drink like landing in Saudi (or Iran, or Kuwait - though that seemed to be easy to circumvent)...
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Nothing to make you crave a drink like landing in Saudi (or Iran, or Kuwait - though that seemed to be easy to circumvent)...
Never had to do that...Although there may be a trip for me to Jeddah this year. Not keen.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

From getting off the 'plane, and getting my first drink in Kuwait took a worrying three hours....
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OleJanx
From getting off the 'plane, and getting my first drink in Kuwait took a worrying three hours....
From getting through customs and seeing my Mum for the first time in a year to lighting up a cig (she hates it) en route to the car park took a worrying 3 minutes!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

From getting through customs and seeing my Mum for the first time in a year to lighting up a cig (she hates it) en route to the car park took a worrying 3 minutes!
Slowcoach!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:15 am
Account Closed

Slowcoach!
I know, but I had to peel a teary Mother from my shoulder to light the fag. It was kind of awkward..."Oh god I missed you."

"Are you talking to me or the cigarette?"
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know, but I had to peel a teary Mother from my shoulder to light the fag. It was kind of awkward..."Oh god I missed you."

"Are you talking to me or the cigarette?"
Hmm! Tricky. Out of interest, how did you reply?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:45 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not that keen on pancakes tbh, but what's a shrove anyway?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Hmm! Tricky. Out of interest, how did you reply?
"What do you mean you've got to pay for parking? It's ****ing freezing, where's the car?"
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shrove
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:52 am
Account Closed

Short Stove.

They were invented by leprechauns who, when hungry, emptied their big heavy pots of all the gold and put some wood and charcoal in, covered with a cut out side of a Tesco trolley and used to cook pancakes (leprechauns love pancakes).

Shrove.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.