British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   pancake day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/pancake-day-892828/)

Millhouse Feb 28th 2017 4:55 am

pancake day

So... will you be having pancakes?

How many?

With Jif?

What are you going to give up for lent?

Personally, I hate pancakes so none for me - but I'll probably quit chocolate and masturbation for lent. Millhouse is gonna be grumpy.

mission Feb 28th 2017 5:10 am

Re: pancake day

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12192669)
So... will you be having pancakes?

How many?

With Jif?

What are you going to give up for lent?

Personally, I hate pancakes so none for me - but I'll probably quit chocolate and masturbation for lent. Millhouse is gonna be grumpy.

Jif? as in the cleaning product?? :confused:

Made in Sheffield 1 Feb 28th 2017 5:15 am

I love em with Jif (still remember the advert lol) and sugar.
Savoury's good as well. Onions and gravy, mmmmm!

DXBtoDOH Feb 28th 2017 5:16 am

American pancake mix.

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12192679)

Millhouse Feb 28th 2017 5:32 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12192684)
American pancake mix.

errrr... no, it's a lemon concentrate

Millhouse Feb 28th 2017 5:33 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12192679)

Only old people call it Jif. It's been Cif for years. I met you still call snickers bars, marathons.

weasel decentral Feb 28th 2017 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12192690)
errrr... no, it's a lemon concentrate

Lemon juice in a lemon shaped bottle as opposed to squeezing juice from an actual lemon shaped lemon onto your pancake?

Millhouse Feb 28th 2017 5:46 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12192692)
Lemon juice in a lemon shaped bottle as opposed to squeezing juice from an actual lemon shaped lemon onto your pancake?

That marketing guy was a genius. Although I believe he missed the trick with limes.

IKnowNothing Feb 28th 2017 6:51 am

And for those who aren't "of a certain age"

https://i0.wp.com/beachpackagingdesi...Pack.jpg?w=600

Inselaffen Feb 28th 2017 6:54 am

will be having a couple. has to be lemon juice and sugar

MAV_DXB Feb 28th 2017 8:15 am

I shall be making some - with Nutella, banana and hazelnuts...

Years ago I worked in a small town called Olney (not far from Milton Keynes), they used to shut the main road and have pancake races - they still do.

DXBtoDOH Feb 28th 2017 8:21 am

Olney Pancake Race | On Shrove Tuesday every year the ladies of Olney, Buckinghamshire compete in the world famous Pancake Race, an Olney tradition which dates back to 1445. The 2017 race will be held on Tuesday 28th February. The race starts at 11:5

Olney Pancake Race
On Shrove Tuesday every year the ladies of Olney, Buckinghamshire compete in the world famous Pancake Race, an Olney tradition which dates back to 1445. The 2017 race will be held on Tuesday 28th February. The race starts at 11:55am. Children from Olney schools also take part in their own races. Since 1950 Olney has competed against the women of Liberal, Kansas, USA in an international race.

Note: 2017 is the 68th year the ladies of Olney have competed against the ladies of Liberal, Kansas, USA, in a timed pancake race. Liberal have won 37 times compared to Olney's 29 wins*

* with 1 no contest as in 1980 the score didn't count because a news van blocked the finish line in Olney.

Whoa. Not sure whether to be more impressed at the concept of a pancake race that's been going on since 1950, or that there's a town in Kansas called Liberal :eek:

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB (Post 12192747)
pancake races - they still do.

mission Feb 28th 2017 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12192691)
Only old people call it Jif. It's been Cif for years. I met you still call snickers bars, marathons.

old is gold:p
I don't use jif or cif, but when you mentioned 'jif' the cleaning product sprung to mind.

mission Feb 28th 2017 9:53 am

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB (Post 12192747)
I shall be making some - with Nutella, banana and hazelnuts...

Years ago I worked in a small town called Olney (not far from Milton Keynes), they used to shut the main road and have pancake races - they still do.

I'm sorry but that sounds totally rank :sick:

Bahtatboy Feb 28th 2017 10:33 am

Maybe, with kimchi ... :unsure: