Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Palm Fireworks - World Record Attempt?

Palm Fireworks - World Record Attempt?

Old Dec 31st 2013, 7:28 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Palm Fireworks - World Record Attempt?

Just watched it on Dubai 1.

Think they got something wrong, everyone was ready for the Palm at midnight, it started at 00.23.

At least it started i guess.

Goodness knows what those people at Atlantis were thinking for 23 minutes....

I stopped in btw.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Palm Fireworks - World Record Attempt?

The Emirates palace fireworks in Abu Dhabi were always late..never started before 20 past midnight.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

they started with the burj khalifa then they moved on to the jumeriah beach and the burj and the world islands and palm....
Old Dec 31st 2013, 8:17 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by busybee2
they started with the burj khalifa then they moved on to the jumeriah beach and the burj and the world islands and palm....
Yes i saw that, did you hear the guy from the fireworks company/event organisers say that they were having a 10 second countdown to midnight above the Atlantis and the show would open with a flying Eagle though?

Obviously someone said no.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

I've never seen Dubai One before today, now I know why. The presenters were ****ing awful.

What with all the traffic chaos and the late fireworks, the Palm was definitely not the the place to be tonight....

Just strolled down to JBR beach with the missus and watched the show from there. Back home for a cuppa tea and off to bed in a minute.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 3:02 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Yes i saw that, did you hear the guy from the fireworks company/event organisers say that they were having a 10 second countdown to midnight above the Atlantis and the show would open with a flying Eagle though?

Obviously someone said no.
The falcon was supposed to 'fly' down the trunk of The Palm. We could say firework trucks from out balcony, none of them went off. I assume technical problems?

The Palm was mayhem - people walking to Sandance (only a 5km walk) and the traffic no-go period was obviously not applicable to everyone as there were some idiots motoring down what was supposed to be a pedestrian area.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhat of a damp squib. Heads should roll. All that money could have been much better spent.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:03 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

And from expecting an announcement "Within the hour", the Guinness team has gone surprisingly quiet.

They can't possibly have failed - can they?
Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kix
And from expecting an announcement "Within the hour", the Guinness team has gone surprisingly quiet.

They can't possibly have failed - can they?
I can't help thinking that someone from the fireworks display company refused to let the ones down the trunk go off, maybe due to there being thousands of people stuck on it....cue massive barney.....fireworks person in charge refusing to start the display.....eventually fireworks go ahead sans Eagle when organisers realise that company they have employed is not bent enough to endanger peoples lives....

Or I could be completely wrong and it's just the normal low grade incompetence that affects all walks of life here.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 5:02 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Robajob
I can't help thinking that someone from the fireworks display company refused to let the ones down the trunk go off, maybe due to there being thousands of people stuck on it....cue massive barney.....fireworks person in charge refusing to start the display.....eventually fireworks go ahead sans Eagle when organisers realise that company they have employed is not bent enough to endanger peoples lives....

Or I could be completely wrong and it's just the normal low grade incompetence that affects all walks of life here.
That could be a good call, if you look at the problems with traffic along the trunk as written on Sandance's FB page (5 hours being stuck in a bus), then it could be that the trunk was too busy for such.

I know one of the Project Directors, will get hold of her in a day or so and find out.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 5:56 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robajob

I suspect that is the case. Palm residents were told that from 22:30 until 01:00am walking around The Palm would be 'restricted'. I've never seen so many people wandering around as late last night.

And no surprises here...

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/sanda...os-533065.html

"However, the dedicated bus lane was not made available and previously announced traffic restrictions, including only allowing residential pass and Sandance ticket holders onto the development after certain times, were not enforced."

Last edited by NorthernLad; Jan 1st 2014 at 6:04 am.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

There was definitely a problem somewhere. A fire broke out to the left of the Jumeriah Beach Hotel about 11.30 although it was quickly brought under control. We were off shore just by the Burj... there were a lot of firework barges that did not ignite. After the finale a lot of smaller, isolated fireworks kept going off by The World. I am guessing that the team were trying to let off the ones that didn't work.
Heads will roll methinks.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I suspect that is the case. Palm residents were told that from 22:30 until 01:00am walking around The Palm would be 'restricted'. I've never seen so many people wandering around as late last night.

And no surprises here...

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/sanda...os-533065.html

"However, the dedicated bus lane was not made available and previously announced traffic restrictions, including only allowing residential pass and Sandance ticket holders onto the development after certain times, were not enforced."
the word fiasco springs to mind
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:13 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
There was definitely a problem somewhere. A fire broke out to the left of the Jumeriah Beach Hotel about 11.30 although it was quickly brought under control. We were off shore just by the Burj... there were a lot of firework barges that did not ignite. After the finale a lot of smaller, isolated fireworks kept going off by The World. I am guessing that the team were trying to let off the ones that didn't work.
Heads will roll methinks.
that little Chalet restaurant burnt down apparently, did they get the record or not? seems no announcement has been made yet.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like they did by quite a margin:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...-record-54187/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.