British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Pakistan Independence Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/pakistan-independence-day-555375/)

scarletfan Aug 15th 2008 5:04 am

Pakistan Independence Day

Yesterday morning, 7:30am the teaboys went round the office with a slice of cake for everybody. Yesterday afternoon they came round the office again with samosas and cans of mountain dew for everybody. The reason:Pakistani Independence day. All paid for out of their own pockets! These guys were beaming yesterday and proud of their nationality. Nothing of this sort happened on any Brit or other Western National Days, and yesterday I felt ashamed that these guys who earn peanuts compared to a lot of us, went to all this trouble. Did this happen anywhere else yesterday?

Charismatic Aug 15th 2008 6:17 am

Re: Pakistan Independence Day

That's nice, now you just have to think of an excuse to return the goodwill with interest. :D

Spugsy Aug 15th 2008 6:23 am

Originally Posted by scarletfan (Post 6681329)
Yesterday morning, 7:30am the teaboys went round the office with a slice of cake for everybody. Yesterday afternoon they came round the office again with samosas and cans of mountain dew for everybody. The reason:Pakistani Independence day. All paid for out of their own pockets! These guys were beaming yesterday and proud of their nationality. Nothing of this sort happened on any Brit or other Western National Days, and yesterday I felt ashamed that these guys who earn peanuts compared to a lot of us, went to all this trouble. Did this happen anywhere else yesterday?

not to us, I think we have one old pakistani bloke, the rest are ndians with a couple or sri lankans, our tea boy actualy lives at work, he's there all the time, I'm a grad 15 and he's a grade 1, I dread to think how much he earns, I've been thinking of giving him a tip when I leave, poor lad.

NorthernLad Aug 15th 2008 7:00 am

Originally Posted by scarletfan (Post 6681329)

Never seen or heard of any nationality doing that.

There's an idea for St Georges day though, I'll take some pork pies and a crate of John Smiths into the office.

scarletfan Aug 15th 2008 7:04 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 6681491)
Never seen or heard of any nationality doing that.

There's an idea for St Georges day though, I'll take some pork pies and a crate of John Smiths into the office.

Yeah, I'll make a cauldron of traditional cawl and get some welsh cakes!