British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Paddy's Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/paddys-day-709835/)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 18th 2011 9:33 am

Paddy's Day

...anyone else (non-Irish) think it is quite impressive?

I'm still in the UK and went to the pub and apparently most of Southampton is actually Irish. I had one Guinness and then reverted back to London Pride and enjoyed my night, but the effort that goes into it all is mental.

Why can't St. George's day be the same? Bearing in mind I'd not want to see it hijacked by the BNP /NF types as some sort of rally.

Being half Scottish I'm ashamed to say I've never done anything for St.Andrews day, but similarly you don't see bucket loads of Scots coming out the woodwork for a good beer up.

Bungdit Din Mar 18th 2011 10:13 am

Re: Paddy's Day

I thought all the fuss about St. Patrick's Day was mainly down to Americans who like to call themselves "Irish" even though they were born in the USA, just like their parents and grandparents and great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents etc?

This is funny: Man Who's 1/16th Irish Proud Of His Irish Heritage

lionheart Mar 18th 2011 12:09 pm

Just spent a nice family afternoon at the Irish Village watching the Irish dancing girls, drinking Guinness and listening to folk music. Lubbly jubbly.

commander Mar 18th 2011 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by sross2203 (Post 9247966)
...anyone else (non-Irish) think it is quite impressive?

I'm still in the UK and went to the pub and apparently most of Southampton is actually Irish. I had one Guinness and then reverted back to London Pride and enjoyed my night, but the effort that goes into it all is mental.

Why can't St. George's day be the same? Bearing in mind I'd not want to see it hijacked by the BNP /NF types as some sort of rally.

Being half Scottish I'm ashamed to say I've never done anything for St.Andrews day, but similarly you don't see bucket loads of Scots coming out the woodwork for a good beer up.

jocks all get pissed on St Andrews day. Same as most other days.....

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 18th 2011 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9248182)
Just spent a nice family afternoon at the Irish Village watching the Irish dancing girls, drinking Guinness and listening to folk music. Lubbly jubbly.

Exactly, always a good laugh and lots of effort put in. Shame we don't do the same for St George's....slaying dragons has to be worth a few beers surely!

Spugsy Mar 19th 2011 5:53 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9248182)

I was there 7-11pm, was so rammed it was mental - 5 deep at all the bars and ended up getting 3 drinks everytime. Was fun though.

weasel central Mar 19th 2011 6:45 am

Well I got pretty ****ed up at a 70's party in Sana'a, not exactly a Paddy's Day event but when you are one of 3 in the entire country its difficult to get an official day going.
No parade obviously as parading tends to attract gunfire at the moment :thumbup: