Packing my bags...

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:31 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Packing my bags...

Seems as of yesterday, the lovely bag packers at Spinneys are not allowed to accept tips for it anymore...as it's part of the service that they provide...poor guys
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:34 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Packing my bags...

Originally Posted by MataHari
Seems as of yesterday, the lovely bag packers at Spinneys are not allowed to accept tips for it anymore...as it's part of the service that they provide...poor guys
...and there I was thinking that you were on your way home to the Netherlands.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Oh that sucks. I like the ones who are afraid of my bags with bacon inside.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:37 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
...and there I was thinking that you were on your way home to the Netherlands.
not yet...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:40 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Oh that sucks. I like the ones who are afraid of my bags with bacon inside.
yeah it does suck for them...and I will try and keep on slipping money to them in the carpark, see if they will take it...find it really stupid, I mean if customers want to give them a few extra dirhams, why can't they...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Do we know the reasoning behind this ? that is stupid, they most possibly live off those tips whilst sending the salaries home to the family
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

DaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

And do you know that in Carrefour they charge 1 dirham for each big durable shopping bag? Although they still do have the old plastic ones, they made it really ultra thin. And they don't stock on it as much in the counters.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold

Plastic bags are bad. I have one of these, so no need for carrier bags: http://www.zpm.com/products/living/t....aspx#buy-a-td

Incidentally, last year's floods in India were caused by discarded carrier bags (those blue ones you see everywhere in India, the so-called 'Flowers of Rajisthan') blocking the drain holes.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a rule by Spinneys? Why on earth would they do that?

-
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:51 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Meow
Is this a rule by Spinneys? Why on earth would they do that?

-
they have made a flyer...just said that it was part of their normal service kind of thing and that the guys were not allowed to accept money for it...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

they have made a flyer...just said that it was part of their normal service kind of thing and that the guys were not allowed to accept money for it...
that is just ridiculous, these guys are probably paid a pittance as it is!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Utterly pointless. It has always been optional. A good reason not to go to Spinneys I reckon.

Why haven't they been fighting about this on EW today?

-
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:12 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Meow
Utterly pointless. It has always been optional. A good reason not to go to Spinneys I reckon.

Why haven't they been fighting about this on EW today?

-
yeah I know...
the flyers were at the checkout, but I didn't pick one up. It was only when 'my packer' (always 'use' the same one, he watches out for me, lol) showed it to me that I knew about it...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

how stupid...but they did the same for the petrol guys here a while ago didn't they, and then backtracked, so maybe spinneys will change their minds...

MM, xx
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

The company viewpoint would probably go something like this:

"If customers feel morally inclined to tip our staff, they must think they are poorly paid. They aren't of course and to prove it we can show you that they will still do a good job even if you don't tip them"

OR

"If tipping becomes the 'norm', those that do NOT receive a tip from a shopper might be tempted to give them a 'lesser' standard of service"

Both arguments are garbage.

By the way - are the packers paid less than the actual check-out till operators? If not............ would you tip them as well?

(No, because they might be falsely accused of pocketing a customer's money)

Not as cut and dried an argument as it might seem.