British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Overused / irritating words,phrases (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/overused-irritating-words-phrases-897955/)

Bahtatboy Jun 20th 2017 1:03 pm

Re: Overused / irritating words,phrases

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 12276799)
Shouldn't these amenities be properly labelled?

Bathroom facilities ...

Bloody right. And first off by not calling them bathrooms.:rolleyes:

Pulaski Jun 20th 2017 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 12276805)
Yes, quite good, but rather discriminatory and might cause offence to those who might be otherwise-ly abled.

In this, and many other cases, there seem to be a lot more third parties who worry that the subject of the sign/ notice/ statement might be offended than there are subjects who actually are offended.

Both "disabled" and "handicapped" are widely used and understood, and in most cases are not used to deliberately offend, therefore I am not going to get all angst-ridden looking for other ridiculous euphemisms on the assumption that "someone might be offended". :rolleyes:

Boomhauer Jun 20th 2017 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12276928)
Bloody right. And first off by not calling them bathrooms.:rolleyes:

I always say "Restroom" .

"Bathroom" feels very weird to say in the company of strangers, because I associate bathroom with said room in a house, and not any sort of commerical premise.

moneypenny20 Jun 20th 2017 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12276951)
I always say "Restroom" .

"Bathroom" feels very weird to say in the company of strangers, because I associate bathroom with said room in a house, and not any sort of commerical premise.

I've never understood 'Restroom'. You're not going for a rest are you? 'Bathroom' in a working environment is wrong as well imo, bathrooms tend to have baths and don't always have toilets. I suppose if I were talking about it I'd say 'Ladies' but not sure I'd actually be discussing the bog during a working day.

Bahtatboy Jun 20th 2017 2:44 pm

Talking of which (bogs), in proportion to how often its acted upon, the sign on our office men's toilet door, saying "Please close the door", is vastly overused. It's an Asian-style layout, too, with the urinals in line-of-sight from the door. I always close it behind me, and invariably the next person to enter or leave wil leave it ajar, and the next person will leave it wide open. So there I am with my dick in my hand in full view of everyone passing in the corridor (there are modesty boards between each urinal, which probably do just about prevent direct cock-viewing, but only just). Bloody infuriating that people think they can open a door and leave it wide open -- why the **** was it closed in the first place?

Novocastrian Jun 24th 2017 5:44 pm

But back on topic;

"Just to make it absolutely clear" followed by garbage soundbite.

IKnowNothing Jun 25th 2017 12:45 am

When you add "Very" to a sentence, it makes you sound like a spaz.

eg "What the very **** was s/he thinking".

Boomhauer Jun 27th 2017 8:58 pm

" rocked " , as in: Jane rocked a slicked back hairstyle , or Jane rocked a floral skirt.

Pulaski Jun 28th 2017 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12281677)
" rocked " , as in: Jane rocked a slicked back hairstyle , or Jane rocked a floral skirt.

Well stop reading People magazine and Us Weekly! :rolleyes:

moneypenny20 Jun 28th 2017 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12281677)

I'm fairly sure no one has ever rocked a floral skirt but I agree in principle.

Dubaiexile Jun 28th 2017 5:03 am

I know it`s not a phrase but air kissing with the associated noise...so bloody false. I also have a thing against guy`s trying to hug me, especially when I barely know them, hate being touched by another man uuugghhh!!

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 28th 2017 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12281910)
I know it`s not a phrase but air kissing with the associated noise...so bloody false. I also have a thing against guy`s trying to hug me, especially when I barely know them, hate being touched by another man uuugghhh!!

DO you also hate drinking from a clean glass? :rofl:

Boomhauer Jun 28th 2017 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12281843)
Well stop reading People magazine and Us Weekly! :rolleyes:

Only time I read People magazine is when I take mom to doctor's office ; there is very little else to read there to while the time away.

I do look at the Daily Fail frequently because as crappy as it is, there are some redeeming qualities.

Dubaiexile Jun 29th 2017 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12281918)
DO you also hate drinking from a clean glass? :rofl:

Nah that would`nt bother me.

I suppose it really is the falseness of the people doing the air kissing shite. As for blokes I barely know trying to hug me...NOOOOOO... shake my hand and preferably with a firm grip, I hate shaking hands with someone when it feels like holding a wet cold fish.....makes you feel violated!!!!

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 29th 2017 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12282750)
Nah that would`nt bother me.

I suppose it really is the falseness of the people doing the air kissing shite. As for blokes I barely know trying to hug me...NOOOOOO... shake my hand and preferably with a firm grip, I hate shaking hands with someone when it feels like holding a wet cold fish.....makes you feel violated!!!!

A wet grip is just an instant no-no. I agree with that. Firm but fair. Anyone who tries to crush your bones is a twat too.