Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Overused / irritating words,phrases

Overused / irritating words,phrases

Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Overused / irritating words,phrases

Originally Posted by Arnold S
Are you a fan? He voted against same sex marriage six times and been outspoken on the bill since it passed.
I've never understood why this is used against politicians. Being against same sex marriage does not constitute being homophobic.

I think JRM is fantastic. Unashamedly posh, articulate and authentic. One to watch for sure...
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overused / irritating words,phrases

Yep.

I like him a lot.

Many people take a stance against same sex marriage because they believe in the sanctity of marriage as an union between a man and woman. Look, that's the history behind marriage in all cultures and religions for thousands of years up till, what, 20 years ago when the idea first became genuinely plausible.

I'm glad for for many people that western society has evolved to broaden the scope of marriage to extend it to same sex couples, I really am, but I am not going to sneer in the face of people who have religious and cultural reasons for wanting to restrict marriage to man + woman. I will sneer in the face of people who think lesser of me for not wanting to screw a woman but that's not the same being opposed to same sex marriage.

Even Angela Merkel voted against same sex marriage just the other week but you don't see her being pilloried for it.

As it is, Rees Mogg is not homophobic, he just has traditional ideas of what marriage constitutes. For him it's a religious act. Frankly, there's even a part of me that's somewhat sympathetic.

Originally Posted by Arnold S
Are you a fan? He voted against same sex marriage six times and been outspoken on the bill since it passed.