Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Overused / irritating words,phrases

Overused / irritating words,phrases

Old Jun 19th 2017, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future
Default Re: Overused / irritating words,phrases

Originally Posted by Meow
I used to work with a woman who would end all her letters (pre-email days) with:

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.

Now that is pompous.
I work with people who routinely sign off emails with "This is for your kind information and necessary action".

WTH?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 3:46 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Um, perhaps he had, or was expecting, a better offer from elsewhere?

Meanwhile, apropos "kind" regards: in my very firm view, kindness is an attribute that can/should only be observed by somebody else. One should never seek to ascribe kindness to one's own actions or intentions in my view. Hence, never ever offer "kind regards" as I may find them decidedly unkind and you, at best, blunderingly ignorant or, worse, pompously malevolent for describing them thus....
And by the same token, presumably one should avoid writing "sincerely", since sincerity is a quality which others may attribute to oneself should one conduct oneself accordingly, rather than grandiloquently ascribing it to oneself (or would a recipient be justifiably wary of writer who, when custom might dictate that "sincerely" would be the apposite term, ends with some word or phrase other than "sincerely" which is nonetheless acceptable according to business or social norms? Rogues and two-suited knaves always proclaim themselves as utterly trustworthy and sincere in what they say, when the opposite is true.). Thus, henceforth, and with all due respect, I'll start speaking normally again...

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Jun 19th 2017 at 3:52 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely! (when a simple yes will do)

Amazing! (while some things and experiences are indeed amazing, the burger you had for dinner is not. It might have been tasty, it wasn't bloody amazing)

Get a life (I'm not dead, therefore I already have a life)

First world problem (I live in a first world, what other sort of problems am I going to have?)

Bleeding heart (a favorite of people who don't give a stuff about anyone else)

Disabled parking (the parking space works fine, it's an accessible parking space)

Disabled toilet (see above)

Totes, probs etc (lazy gits!)

I won't even start on the corporate wank-speak, after 15 years of government management meetings, I'm over it.

There, I think there's something in all those to offend everyone
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

nooks 57 is an unknown quantity at this point

winningest.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

nooks 57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave Allen used to sign off with "may your god go with you" nice
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:40 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice (unless used sarcastically). It doesn't mean anything, other than that the user likes what he's failing to describe. (Sorry newbie )
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:44 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Disabled parking (the parking space works fine, it's an accessible parking space)

Disabled toilet (see above)

Accessible. "Is the toilet accessible?" "Of course it is, how the **** do you think I used it?"

Unless of course you want to change "Disability Allowance" to "Allowance for Those Who Require Toilets, Parking and the like to be Accessible".
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Accessible. "Is the toilet accessible?" "Of course it is, how the **** do you think I used it?"

Unless of course you want to change "Disability Allowance" to "Allowance for Those Who Require Toilets, Parking and the like to be Accessible".
Congratulations for being able to get into and use any toilet, I'm so very pleased for you.

People in wheelchairs can't. Mums and Dads with little ones in prams can't, unless they leave their child outside. Older people with limited mobility, someone with a broken leg etc etc. They need a toilet with a wider doorway, and/or turning space for a wheelchair, and/or a handbasin they can reach, and/or rails to hoist themselves on and off the toilet.

These people CAN'T use an ordinary toilet. An accessible toilet sign, or just a graphic of a wheelchair, will show where there's a toilet they can use. You keep saying 'disabled toilet' if you're so attached to the term

Your 'disability allowance' statement - no idea what you're banging on about and sorry to say, I really don't care. Enjoy your next toilet break!
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:53 pm
Hit 16's

Congratulations for being able to get into and use any toilet, I'm so very pleased for you.

People in wheelchairs can't. Mums and Dads with little ones in prams can't, unless they leave their child outside. Older people with limited mobility, someone with a broken leg etc etc. They need a toilet with a wider doorway, and/or turning space for a wheelchair, and/or a handbasin they can reach, and/or rails to hoist themselves on and off the toilet.

These people CAN'T use an ordinary toilet. An accessible toilet sign, or just a graphic of a wheelchair, will show where there's a toilet they can use. You keep saying 'disabled toilet' if you're so attached to the term

Your 'disability allowance' statement - no idea what you're banging on about and sorry to say, I really don't care. Enjoy your next toilet break!
Whoa... we're talking about the term, not the need for the thing. To extrapolate from my having a different opinion about the term to my not appreciating the need for disabled/accessible toilets and the like is just ... stupid. Do you honestly think that I don't know that those with a disability need them? Or, for that matter, d'you think that they'd be stumped by seeing a sign reading "Disabled Toilet"?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:10 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Whoa... we're talking about the term, not the need for the thing. To extrapolate from my having a different opinion about the term to my not appreciating the need for disabled/accessible toilets and the like is just ... stupid. Do you honestly think that I don't know that those with a disability need them? Or, for that matter, d'you think that they'd be stumped by seeing a sign reading "Disabled Toilet"?
Ok, we'll talk about the term. The toilet isn't disabled. Hope that clears up any confusion. I could go on about the power of language and its effect on the groups of people it identifies, but I won't inflict that on you.

I don't need to think about what 'they' need, 34 years of living it has given me a pretty good insight
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

'Share' if you hate cancer.
'Like' to save lives.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:30 pm
Hit 16's

Ok, we'll talk about the term. The toilet isn't disabled. Hope that clears up any confusion. I could go on about the power of language and its effect on the groups of people it identifies, but I won't inflict that on you.

I don't need to think about what 'they' need, 34 years of living it has given me a pretty good insight
Well, the thread title is, or is about, "words". And you did say you that you'd probably offend... I'm not trying to pick a fight (nor was I offended), but you did enter the fray to talk about words.

However, I apologise if I offended you. Obviously there's a balance to be struck between concise phraseology and the feelings of those affected: I hadn't realised that "disabled" was uncomfortable/unpleasant/demeaning. Sincere question -- what is the preferred term? Sorry, that sounds patronising, but isn't intended to be - clearly there must be times when clarity is required. Just "S/he requires accessible facilities"? (That may work in the west, but certainly wouldn't in much of the world...)

I parked in a bay marked "disabled" last weekend, and I didn't perceive it being unusual (the wording in the bay, not my parking) -- which it isn't out here, but I wasn't aware that bays marked in, say, Tesco back home are different. (I'm on crutches, so I wasn't just being an arse.)
Old Jun 20th 2017, 4:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I always park in the Mother (or is it Parent?) and Toddler spaces when I'm back home.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I always park in the Mother (or is it Parent?) and Toddler spaces when I'm back home.

https://youtu.be/ZKfHGbynAxY
Old Jun 20th 2017, 6:08 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

By the same logic, toilets also are not male or female, nor are parking bays parents or toddlers. I think arguing against the term 'disabled toilet' is just kinda looking for things to be offended by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.