British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Overstaying your visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/overstaying-your-visa-694198/)

Spugsy Nov 20th 2010 6:47 am

Overstaying your visa

Ok so the police have my passport as I got arrested 5 weeks back and still haven;t been to court yet.

Now my visit visa (I was doing visa runs) ran out a week ago and the police won't let me have it back.

I have a lawyer who says she can do a swop with a mate of mine but he is going home early December so isn't too keen to do a swop just in case (and I can see his point).

So....the question is I can pay the overstay fines but any idea what happens is I go so 3 or 4 weeks as an overstay? Can I get into bother, ie kicked out of the country?

Any help wouldbe appreciated.

p.s. I could easily do a swop with the wifes passport but they 'only accept passport of man with a good job'.

lionheart Nov 20th 2010 10:24 am

Re: Overstaying your visa

I didn't realise you could swap visas. How does that work without a passport? :confused:

weasel central Nov 20th 2010 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8993116)
Ok so the police have my passport as I got arrested 5 weeks back and still haven;t been to court yet.

stop beating up people in the streets you thug, now if you can get into your time machine you'll be able to put that to good use :p

Spugsy Nov 20th 2010 10:37 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8993358)
I didn't realise you could swap visas. How does that work without a passport? :confused:

my mate hands his in, I get mine back.

Blue Cat Nov 20th 2010 1:03 pm

Now my visit visa (I was doing visa runs) ran out a week ago and the police won't let me have it back.

I have a lawyer who says she can do a swop with a mate of mine but he is going home early December so isn't too keen to do a swop just in case (and I can see his point).

So....the question is I can pay the overstay fines but any idea what happens is I go so 3 or 4 weeks as an overstay? Can I get into bother, ie kicked out of the country?

p.s. I could easily do a swop with the wifes passport but they 'only accept passport of man with a good job'.

Things change all the time but I think it is 100 dhs a day for an overstay, it is less if there is a visa application pending which there isn't in your case. I would swap mine with yours but I can't I think I am going home in December and I need to be around as we have a few problems in UK with my Brother. What has happened to people in the past is that they accrue a fair amount, a few grand, then the barter with immigration to get it reduced, under the circumstances I think you will get yours reduced. I would inform immigration in person of the current situation and try and get some written clarification from them.

glynster Nov 20th 2010 1:10 pm

Come on we all want to know ffs!!!!:eek:

Blue Cat Nov 20th 2010 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by glynster (Post 8993547)
Come on we all want to know ffs!!!!:eek:

nothing to tell really, he was found in Bur Dubai dressed as a woman and you know what the authorities are like here ............

:rolleyes::p

glynster Nov 20th 2010 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8993597)
nothing to tell really, he was found in Bur Dubai dressed as a woman and you know what the authorities are like here ............

:rolleyes::p

Daft sod you should of worn one of them bin liner things, with the sussies etc underneath.

Millhouse Nov 20th 2010 3:10 pm

Ok, well not quite the same thing - but hopefully gives you an idea...

My maid's visa expired in July and I finally got around to cancelling it in September - this cost me 20AED / day in fines after the one month grace period.

I then failed again to send her home or issue a new visa (we were keeping her and I changed jobs had my visa cancelled).

The fines then started accruing (20 AED per day) from September until I issued the temp. work visa. I now have until December to issue the final one or the fines start again (at a new rate of 10 AED / day). Apparently overstaying is cheaper in Dubai than Abu Dhabi.

Good luck with the arrest case - is this the van incident?

Spugsy Nov 20th 2010 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8993684)
Ok, well not quite the same thing - but hopefully gives you an idea...

My maid's visa expired in July and I finally got around to cancelling it in September - this cost me 20AED / day in fines after the one month grace period.

I then failed again to send her home or issue a new visa (we were keeping her and I changed jobs had my visa cancelled).

The fines then started accruing (20 AED per day) from September until I issued the temp. work visa. I now have until December to issue the final one or the fines start again (at a new rate of 10 AED / day). Apparently overstaying is cheaper in Dubai than Abu Dhabi.

Good luck with the arrest case - is this the van incident?

yeah it is, should be ok - drunk and smashed a police van up, abusiver to the police (but they never charged me with that) so will have to pay to replace the van door and a drunk fine, should be something like AED 15k and I've paid 20k to lawyers as well.

And then my overstay fines.

Bahtatboy Nov 21st 2010 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8993822)
abusive to the police (but they never charged me with that)

Possibly coz they thought you were speaking some weird foreign language they'd never heard before?

Ethos83 Nov 21st 2010 5:33 am

Surprised they didn't deport you.

Must have been your lucky day.

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8993822)
yeah it is, should be ok - drunk and smashed a police van up, abusiver to the police (but they never charged me with that) so will have to pay to replace the van door and a drunk fine, should be something like AED 15k and I've paid 20k to lawyers as well.

And then my overstay fines.

Ethos83 Nov 21st 2010 5:33 am

Makes sense. He's from the Toon, as you know.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8994333)
Possibly coz they thought you were speaking some weird foreign language they'd never heard before?

lionheart Nov 21st 2010 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8994410)
Surprised they didn't deport you.
Must have been your lucky day.

Don't speak too soon. The case hasn't been heard in court yet. Fingers crossed.

Bahtatboy Nov 21st 2010 6:42 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8994413)
Don't speak too soon. The case hasn't been heard in court yet. Fingers crossed.

You really are all happiness and light, aren't you.