Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Overqualified for a job?

Overqualified for a job?

Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light
Default Overqualified for a job?

I received a response for a job application I made a month back, and it said I was unsuccessful as I was overqualified. They recommended two over positions in their company that I should apply for. But when I checked the job sheets it looked like I would be under-qualified for those positions as minimum experience was 2-3 years, and I am a fresh graduate.

Should I take this seriously? Normally I only apply for entry jobs and ignore jobs that ask for 2-3 years of experience. Should I take this response as the green light to set my sights higher for all my job searches?

Ps, the response was from the company not a job agency.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:30 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overqualified for a job?

Originally Posted by Worldismine
I received a response for a job application I made a month back, and it said I was unsuccessful as I was overqualified. They recommended two over positions in their company that I should apply for. But when I checked the job sheets it looked like I would be under-qualified for those positions as minimum experience was 2-3 years, and I am a fresh graduate.

Should I take this seriously? Normally I only apply for entry jobs and ignore jobs that ask for 2-3 years of experience. Should I take this response as the green light to set my sights higher for all my job searches?

Hello,

Did you get a 1st?
Congratulations on whatever it was-oh and also geting a reply to an application within a month-good going.
I can't help you with the 'overqualified' thingy-many on here will be able to-when they read your post in the morning...
Good luck-hope you get sorted soon
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Eva
Hello,

Did you get a 1st?
I did get a 1st for the assignment I was doing last time, but my degree will be lower as some of my assignments were handed in late and Im poop at exams. Plus I kinda missed my project proposal deadline, so could not do my dissertation last semester, will start it this september.

One month is quick? So on average how long would you say it takes from application to first day at work?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

If you believe you can do the 'higher' jobs, get someone within the company to RECOMMEND you for those positions internally.

And let us know how you get on - I'm fascinated by the idea that a new graduate can be regarded as 'overqualified'.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:18 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
If you believe you can do the 'higher' jobs, get someone within the company to RECOMMEND you for those positions internally.

And let us know how you get on - I'm fascinated by the idea that a new graduate can be regarded as 'overqualified'.
Technically, he is not a graduate as he has not handed in his dissertation yet.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
Technically, he is not a graduate as he has not handed in his dissertation yet.
Good point - so it's even more remarkable that he is seen as over-qualified.

What job is this? Doorman??
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

I found the response hard to believe as-well. The job was for a marketing coordinator. Before my studies I worked in sales for several months and my CV mentions my skills in various softwares, so maybe I over marketed myself. My only other opinion is that the HR team have a quota of applicants they need to get.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't missing deadlines mean you can only get a pass or a Douglas?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

I cant help you Spidey.
I am over-qualified for all work.I gave up in the end and spend my days in the garden or the mall.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Doesn't missing deadlines mean you can only get a pass or a Douglas?
Yeah, late assignments are capped at 40%, sometimes the puppy eyes work. Dissertation I deferred it so it wont be capped.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
I cant help you Spidey.
I am over-qualified for all work.I gave up in the end and spend my days in the garden or the mall.
Aaaaarrrr, is Spidey your sweet name for me? or is that someone else

Cool, if at anytime your seeking 'gardener' let me know I mow your lawn for you
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaaarrrr, is Spidey your sweet name for me? or is that someone else

Cool, if at anytime your seeking 'gardener' let me know I mow your lawn for you
Im afraid "Spidey" is already taken....as for mowing my lawn,I never let strangers near it!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
Im afraid "Spidey" is already taken....as for mowing my lawn,I never let strangers near it!
there is only one Spidey!

as for the lawn I'd heard that was a job only for major contractors