Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Of outrage against chemical attacks..

Of outrage against chemical attacks..

Old Aug 31st 2013, 6:34 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Of outrage against chemical attacks..

When John Kerry was making that speech, did anyone else think "He's lying"?

Reminds me of the WMDs (or not) in Libya.

Anyways, I was reliably told that it's all Qatar and the west's fault as they are trying to sell gas to Europe via a pipeline through Syria, the rebels want it, the government doesn't. Nor does China or Russia (Gasprom sell billions to Europe each year), hence an East/West war by proxy.

You just know it'll go seriously pair shaped.

And anyway, I thought the UK was broke, how can they afford a war?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
War is largely a profitable business.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
When John Kerry was making that speech, did anyone else think "He's lying"?

Reminds me of the WMDs (or not) in Libya.

Anyways, I was reliably told that it's all Qatar and the west's fault as they are trying to sell gas to Europe via a pipeline through Syria, the rebels want it, the government doesn't. Nor does China or Russia (Gasprom sell billions to Europe each year), hence an East/West war by proxy.

By who? You have a line to Assad? or the Qatari Emir?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 6:42 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
As in tits up?

Of outrage against chemical attacks..-courtney.jpg
Old Aug 31st 2013, 6:43 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Bloke I met down the pub, calls himself Abdullah - you must have met him...

(Actually by a Syrian, but hey ho).
Old Aug 31st 2013, 8:41 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Fossildog; Aug 31st 2013 at 8:44 am.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

AppleMac is an unknown quantity at this point

It was in the local paper..

The National

Bit more background in the Guardian

Assad refused to sign a proposed agreement with Qatar that would run a pipeline from the latter's North field, contiguous with Iran's South Pars field, through Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria and on to Turkey, with a view to supply European markets - albeit crucially bypassing Russia. Assad's rationale was "to protect the interests of [his] Russian ally, which is Europe's top supplier of natural gas."

Last edited by AppleMac; Aug 31st 2013 at 12:02 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AppleMac
It was in the local paper..

The National

Bit more background in the Guardian

Assad refused to sign a proposed agreement with Qatar that would run a pipeline from the latter's North field, contiguous with Iran's South Pars field, through Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria and on to Turkey, with a view to supply European markets - albeit crucially bypassing Russia. Assad's rationale was "to protect the interests of [his] Russian ally, which is Europe's top supplier of natural gas."
They should be more worried about the fracking boom. We don't need a pipe to the middle east. We can ship it from the US for less.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 2:09 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

They should be more worried about the fracking boom. We don't need a pipe to the middle east. We can ship it from the US for less.
Devon (or was it Cornwall?), surely?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 7:24 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat

why can't Britain just keep their noses out
Do you think British forces are not already in syria?
Old Sep 1st 2013, 6:30 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Do you think British forces are not already in syria?
x 2 in a limited capacity I guess

A friend of mine said this morning, obama and the top brass of the US army need to get laid more often