Our Treatment of Maids

Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all
Default Re: Our Treatment of Maids

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
No, we just think that they are human beings!
I have had the same maid since I arrived in Dubai 8 years ago.
I treat her with respect and she wouldn't stay with me if she didn't want to. I help with her childrens education, I help with family health bills as and when I can.She has 2 days a week off and a nice room with a bathroom ensuite, internet etc etc. She also knows that there are rules to follow...Not working for somebody else, not stealing etc. We have a very good working relationship...
Maybe that makes me the saint!
It makes you 2 things:

1. Extremely lucky
2. A saint
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

this may well be complete rubbish but I heard that when a baby is born out of wedlock here the baby is immediately taken from the mother and put into an orphanage whilst the mother goes off to prison? Is that right?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a difficult topic. 1. You treat your maid like shit, so she gets preggers and when you find out you ship her to the police station. No problem for you. 2). You have a great relationship with your maid and she tells you at 15 weeks she is preggers, you ship her back home to either stay or get rid.

3) You stand by her and get ****ed at the same time?

None are preferable options, but we are all here to make ourselves financially better off. Unless there is an option 4., we are morally bound to 2 or 3 and 1 isn't such a terrible choice since the rules here are pretty clear on this..
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kittycat1
this may well be complete rubbish but I heard that when a baby is born out of wedlock here the baby is immediately taken from the mother and put into an orphanage whilst the mother goes off to prison? Is that right?
The maid was deported with baby and lifetime ban from re entering the UAE, but maybe she was lucky as my friends worked a lot with the embassy and paid a lot of cash out
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it "inhuman" if an employer gets upset if and when a maid breaks the law? As stupid as that law may be.

And why is it "inhuman" if an employer gets upset if and when he/she is footed with the bill as the result of the maid's breaking the law ( yes, the law is still stupid)

And why do people assume an employer is shite if and when the maid messes around ?

Sorry, I know loads of people who treated the maid really well...paid 2500 QR per month, she had a good size room (not the maids room, an actual bedroom in the family home), tv, internet , food paid, toiletries etc. Trip home every year, and bonus. And YES , I do know quite a few families who do this.
And you know what? at least 3 out of 5 families who treat their maid right get cheated..."Madaaame, my family sick, I need to pay hospital bill...turns out she bought a new mobile.....Madame, my son sick, I need to go home...she gets money for the trip home, turns out she is seen working for another family here.....etc, etc, etc.

Mind you, there are just as many maids who are honest, I am sure.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Of course all of the above presupposes a knowledge of the law, a knowledge of safe sex ( not something really taught in indonesia for example) practises and that the maid will willingly forgoe the most basic of all human instincts.
All perfectly reasonable if you live in cloud cuckoo land
+1

what would I do? Fly her home because it saves me a lot of hassle and because it saves her from prison.

MY moral code supercedes any country's laws. Otherwise I'd be beating my four wives whenever they declined my husbandly nocturnal visits.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Of course all of the above presupposes a knowledge of the law, a knowledge of safe sex ( not something really taught in indonesia for example) practises and that the maid will willingly forgoe the most basic of all human instincts.
All perfectly reasonable if you live in cloud cuckoo land
I DO live in cloud cuckoo land...I reside in Qatar.

And of course I'd fly the stoopid bint home. And cancel her visa.

Last edited by Alexa; Nov 29th 2011 at 5:26 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone even knows that you can get pregnant after just one time, even if you do it standing up, etc etc.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by seven seas
Not everyone even knows that you can get pregnant after just one time, even if you do it standing up, etc etc.
Ya, but everybody knows you can get preggers from kissing...
Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Having been in this poistion 8 weeks agao (literally!) - except its the houseboy who got the other maid pregnant

She went to hospital - volunteered that she didnt have a husband (dozy mare!!) and ended up in police custody

Houseboy gets a quick trip to Sri Lanka and amazingly comes back with a valid marraige certificate that they have been married since 2005 !!
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I don't understand the desperate need for live in maids?

Most families out here have a working Dad, Mum does nothing, kids go to school.

When that family moves back to the UK or somewhere where slave labour isn't readily available, what's the Mum going to do? Talk to her kids again? Look after them herself? I'm sure that makes most of them shudder.

I was brought up by my Mum. She paid for a babysitter after primary school, until she was home from work. My older sister got to go home after school herself. She worked full time and our house was always clean and tidy, we always did nice things at weekends...why can't parents out here do that?
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
And you know what? at least 3 out of 5 families who treat their maid right get cheated..."Madaaame, my family sick, I need to pay hospital bill...turns out she bought a new mobile.....Madame, my son sick, I need to go home...she gets money for the trip home, turns out she is seen working for another family here.....etc, etc, etc.
Completely agree with this bit - you're often not seen as an employer but as a surrogate parent with endless money to bail them out of their 'problems'.

Yes, we probably have more money than them, but that doesn't mean they're entitled to handouts all the time? Some will see this as harsh, but they're employed to do a job and if this starts to crossover into them becoming one of the family, often (not always I'm sure) advantage starts being taken.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I don't understand the desperate need for live in maids?

Most families out here have a working Dad, Mum does nothing, kids go to school.

When that family moves back to the UK or somewhere where slave labour isn't readily available, what's the Mum going to do? Talk to her kids again? Look after them herself? I'm sure that makes most of them shudder.

I was brought up by my Mum. She paid for a babysitter after primary school, until she was home from work. My older sister got to go home after school herself. She worked full time and our house was always clean and tidy, we always did nice things at weekends...why can't parents out here do that?
Darling, NOT everybody is married or have children or even somebody else to earn the money! I live and work on my own..I have a large villa and pets...I start work at 6am and finish at 7.30pm..I have a live in maid because I need 1 I am not going to spend my weekend cleaning/picking up dog poo from the terrace/washing/cooking etc......
Attached Thumbnails Our Treatment of Maids-n600786912_2633231_7455795.jpg  
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Darling, NOT everybody is married or have children or even somebody else to earn the money! I live and work on my own..I have a large villa and pets...I start work at 6am and finish at 7.30pm..I have a live in maid because I need 1 I am not going to spend my weekend cleaning/picking up dog poo from the terrace/washing/cooking etc......
sorry, I don't mean people in your situation...I mean about the families with kids, mum and dad; where only one works. Is it just because it's a low cost option to take hassle off your hands or what?
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:16 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people don't like to clean?

We all make choices in life. Why buy a more expensive car when a cheaper model does the job just as well? Same with clothes, or jewelry or watches. You're right in that most people don't need maids as a matter of life or death, but it can make life easier for many people not to have to worry about cleaning or the ironing or child minding so why criticise people's choices to have a maid?

Also look at it this way: if everyone in the Middle East ditched their maids, a large source of income for the Philippines would be cut off.

Originally Posted by Scamp
sorry, I don't mean people in your situation...I mean about the families with kids, mum and dad; where only one works. Is it just because it's a low cost option to take hassle off your hands or what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.