Our Treatment of Maids

Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our Treatment of Maids

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
No, but unfortunately on this one I have quite specific feelings and have had to thicken my skin about certain things since I came here, it's one of the not nice parts of being here
We all have quite specific feelings that thicken our skin , mines like an alligator after spending over 15 years in the Gulf but i never allow myself to cross the line .

There's a fine line when living here in differentiating between what is morally right and what's deemed acceptable in the country your living in , there's a massive difference.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthestig
The right thing to do, no question. How could anyone who didn't help a fellow expat in a time of exceptional need live with that on their conscience?

It's mind boggling that not everyone agrees
Exactly!

I would do as Patsy suggested in the post you quoted. I don't agree that it is a government's business if consenting adults have sex outside of marriage and people have feelings and thus make mistakes.

I am quite shocked that someone's reaction could be to report a pregnant woman to the police as a first step. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:59 am
W10

I too have had many friends who have ended up in trouble or had major issues with maids, and from that I've been able to make my own dealings with them a bit easier by nipping any nonsense in the bud as soon as it rears it's head, unfortunately, being here, means me and my family are my main priority.
I know. These people could try not having a maid

Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by co durham boy
We all have quite specific feelings that thicken our skin , mines like an alligator after spending over 15 years in the Gulf but i never allow myself to cross the line .

There's a fine line when living here in differentiating between what is morally right and what's deemed acceptable in the country your living in , there's a massive difference.
There is and I have had to accept since coming here that not everyone shares the same value system I do, but really what you are saying is that I should put myself in a position where I am potentially breaking the law to help someone who has already broken it, that goes against my value system entirely.

I don't write the rules here, but as part of being here I have to accept them and live by them as best I can, I have a Visa, an ID card and alcohol license, pay for parking when required and don't speed on the road, pay my bills, don't have debt and in general try and lead as much of a hassle free life as possible, I'm sorry but I am really nor interested in f-ing up my life to help someone out who knew entirely that what they were doing was extremely dangerous in the first place and could easily have taken responsibility for their own actions by asking for leave and dealing with it quietly without involving me or my bank account.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by W10
I know. These people could try not having a maid
Many of them don't have a choice with work and childcare issues, I don't have one, I just use an agency for cleaning
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:14 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

There is and I have had to accept since coming here that not everyone shares the same value system I do, but really what you are saying is that I should put myself in a position where I am potentially breaking the law to help someone who has already broken it, that goes against my value system entirely.
Are you familiar with a quote from Mahatma Ghandi? "Hate the sin, love the sinner"

Helping someone who has broken the law, when the law is unfair, is surely the decent thing to do (putting your family in danger not withstanding)?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Meow;9759753]Are you familiar with a quote from Mahatma Ghandi? "Hate the sin, love the sinner"

I have no issue with the pregnancy.

I have issue with the putting my family in danger part. Which from my original post was exactly what happened
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I would make the decision based on whether the kid was mine or not.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millhouse
lol
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

A few of the waiteresses at the Jebel Ali Club have gone back to Manila for two months and come back a bit lighter after putting on a few pounds before they went away.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:09 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I would send her home, never report her
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:20 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by spartans53
A few of the waiteresses at the Jebel Ali Club have gone back to Manila for two months and come back a bit lighter after putting on a few pounds before they went away.
Hmmmm. We have a few posters who spend a lot of time there....
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:24 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Hmmmm. We have a few posters who spend a lot of time there....
Given the profile (as in "view from the side") of at least half the male clientele last time I was there, I would say that any waitress other than one who is an extremely dextrous, willing and supple contortionist would be pretty safe.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Why so judgemental?

When you sponsor a maid in the UAE, you become what is effectively the the maid's legal guardian and you will be held partly responsible should the maid break the law.

I knew a few people in Dubai whose maids got caught working illegally without their sponsors' knowledge, and they still had to pay a stiff fine.

You can claim as much moral superiority as you want but most people don't have bottomless bank accounts to pay the fines or the liberty to spend some time in jail. Most people also don't want to see their maids locked up just for being pregnant, which is why they just quietly get the maid out of the country on the next plane and end the contract there and then.
Maybe but weren't you a single guy when you were living in the UAE and therefore didn't have a live in maid? It softened my perspective living with someone every day...I'd never be able to live with myself if I dropped her off at the police station and said "cheerio....good luck with the baby...and jail...."
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Maybe but weren't you a single guy when you were living in the UAE and therefore didn't have a live in maid? It softened my perspective living with someone every day...I'd never be able to live with myself if I dropped her off at the police station and said "cheerio....good luck with the baby...and jail...."
When she goes into labour on your living room floor your options are fairly limited

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.