The Oscars

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: The Oscars

Originally Posted by Meow
I enjoyed the film, but spend the whole time wishing Eastwood would clear his throat.

I'm like that with Nicholas Cage. He always sounds out of breath and whispery and slurs.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:59 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scamp

I'm like that with Nicholas Cage. He always sounds out of breath and whispery and slurs.
Might be Lord of War tonight, or maybe even Leaving Las Vegas - if I want a particularly upbeat evening!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:06 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
The film didn't win the Oscar. Only Daniel DL did for his Acting.

Britexpat76 - I think you'd still like Argo, despite the inaccuracies.

I really liked Silver Linings Playbook, although I'm not sure that Jennifer Lawrence's performance was Oscar worthy.
No mistakes here

I shall make an effort to watch it this week on your recommendation.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Kix
Might be Lord of War tonight, or maybe even Leaving Las Vegas - if I want a particularly upbeat evening!
Lord of War is a great film, I don't dislike Cage, I just wish he'd speak normally sometimes.

Sigh, Lord of war, the kind of films I can't watch with the mrs.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:09 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
No mistakes here

I shall make an effort to watch it this week on your recommendation.
Well I reckon you'd like it too
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:12 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Lord of War is a great film, I don't dislike Cage, I just wish he'd speak normally sometimes.

Sigh, Lord of war, the kind of films I can't watch with the mrs.
Why not? Try Leaving Las Vegas then, I'm sure she'll love that!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kix
Why not? Try Leaving Las Vegas then, I'm sure she'll love that!
This is a film I do not know. Let me check it's suitability.

Basically, she isn't keen on violence, guns, drugs, killing or gore. She's not a wimp about it, she just doesn't enjoy those films generally.

They are however, the kind of films I love.

I've been working Argo into the frame for tonight for 3 days now, she seems up for it now it's got Oscar approval. My current bet is that 10 minutes in she'll have the iPad and headphones and East-****ing-enders.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:28 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Wiki

Leaving Las Vegas is a 1995 romantic drama film directed and written by Mike Figgis, based on a semi-autobiographical novel of the same name by John O'Brien. Nicolas Cage stars as a suicidal alcoholic who has ended his personal and professional life to drink himself to death in Las Vegas. While there, he forms a relationship with a hardened prostitute, played by Elisabeth Shue, which forms the center of the film
Don't think it's her cup of tea!

Cage did win an Oscar for it though!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kix
Wiki

Don't think it's her cup of tea!

Cage did win an Oscar for it though!
Sounds ****ing mega!

I'm all over that.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds ****ing mega!

I'm all over that.
It's magnificent...........

I don't get all the tiresome anti-Cage stuff I always hear/read - he may not be Olivier or Gielgud, but he was in 2 or 3 of the finest films I ever saw (Face/Off is in my all-time Top 20-ish, and I loved Kick-Ass). Ditto Costner (Field of Dreams, 13 Days, JFK, Dances with Wolves - all personal favourites).

Meow - saw your Tweet about 'which film?'........... would have recommended Life of Pi which will take your breath away, but you're not talking to me any more, so why should I?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

If britexpat and kix are conjoined twins, which one is the evil one? There is always an evil twin. Fact!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:54 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus
If britexpat and kix are conjoined twins, which one is the evil one? There is always an evil twin. Fact!
I think you know the answer to that one
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:54 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Theseus
Cheeky...
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:01 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

I don't get all the tiresome anti-Cage stuff I always hear/read - he may not be Olivier or Gielgud, but he was in 2 or 3 of the finest films I ever saw (Face/Off is in my all-time Top 20-ish, and I loved Kick-Ass). Ditto Costner (Field of Dreams, 13 Days, JFK, Dances with Wolves - all personal favourites).

Meow - saw your Tweet about 'which film?'........... would have recommended Life of Pi which will take your breath away, but you're not talking to me any more, so why should I?

I had already started Les Mis by the time someone else recommended Life of Pi. I was determind to see it through after all the fuss, but I was not moved. I'd already watched 10 minutes of Anna Karenina, but it was so weirdly staged I had to turn that off. I don't doubt Life of Pi would have been the best bet.

I'm no Nic Cage fan. I think he peaked in Moonstruck and pretty much plays everything the same way.

Now will you stop using this smiley as it just makes you look mean?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

I don't get all the tiresome anti-Cage stuff I always hear/read - he may not be Olivier or Gielgud, but he was in 2 or 3 of the finest films I ever saw (Face/Off is in my all-time Top 20-ish, and I loved Kick-Ass).:
If you throw enough darts you'll hit a few treble 20's eventually, and Cage throws a bucket load of them these days, with most bouncing off the wire.

Personally I preferred Zero Dark Thirty to Argo, although I enjoyed it as well. The Hollywood 'excitement' that was crow-barred in - the walk round the souk, passport control and chase down the runway as examples - spoiled it a little IMO. Not seen Silver Linings or Django yet but looking forward to both of them.

Watched Gran Torino for the first time a couple of weeks ago (dunno how I never got round to it) on the plane and thought it was excellent. Now need to find my DVDs of Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima and get those watched as well...