British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The Oscars (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/oscars-788583/)

Meow Feb 25th 2013 7:07 am

The Oscars

The award ceremony was last night, so what are your thoughts?

Argo won best picture and whilst I really enjoyed the film (esp the bits with John Goodman & Alan Arkin) I was disappointed to learn the other day that the story missed out the actual help given by the British. We didn't just turn them away from the embassy, but assisted in tracking down the American diplomats who were in Tehran and looked after them in private accommodation for a couple of days before they moved in the Canadian Embassy. (There was a good piece in The Times about this.)

Les Mis - best supporting actress for Ann Hathaway and best make up. The latter presumably for making everyone look really grubby. I sat through that film last night (or it could have been for days as it was sooooo long) and I think it's over rated. Dry eyed and not my thing although I quite like musicals.

Django Unchained - glad to see Christopher Waltz get best supporting actor as he was superb.

Three wins for Daniel Day Lewis is quite something although I read an amusing article about his Acting the other day. Other actors act, but DDL does Acting. I enjoyed Lincoln but some people I know found it dull. Perhaps not enough car chases for them?

britexpat76 Feb 25th 2013 7:20 am

Re: The Oscars

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10566782)

Argo won best picture and whilst I really enjoyed the film (esp the bits with John Goodman & Alan Arkin) I was disappointed to learn the other day that the story missed out the actual help given by the British. We didn't just turn them away from the embassy, but assisted in tracking down the American diplomats who were in Tehran and looked after them in private accommodation for a couple of days before they moved in the Canadian Embassy. (There was a good piece in The Times about this.)

And for the above reason I shall not be watching this. I hate the way Hollywood/Americans let factual history get in the way of a movie.

Les Mis - best supporting actress for Ann Hathaway and best make up. The latter presumably for making everyone look really grubby. I sat through that film last night (or it could have been for days as it was sooooo long) and I think it's over rated. Dry eyed and not my thing although I quite like musicals.

May have to watch this to please the Mrs. Think it will be perfect eyes closed on sofa material

Django Unchained - glad to see Christopher Waltz get best supporting actor as he was superb.

Loved it, the loose use of the N word has you squirming to start with but a great film. I thought Dicaprio was great in it and I usually can't stand him.

Three wins for Daniel Day Lewis is quite something although I read an amusing article about his Acting the other day. Other actors act, but DDL does Acting. I enjoyed Lincoln but some people I know found it dull. Perhaps not enough car chases for them?

I tried to watch Lincoln on the plane, whether it was because it was on a crap small screen or its just not my thing I don't know. I do know I was bored senseless and had a great sleep to it, though its that long I woke up twice and it was still droning on. I find DDL very creepy too, watched him get interviewed last night for some Arab TV channel and the intense stare he was giving the quite hot presenter would of freaked me out

littlejimmy Feb 25th 2013 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10566782)

I thought Argo was very good as well. I was disappointed but not surprised to hear about the way the story was changed so that the Brits didn't help. Typical Hollywood is the first reaction. I read somewhere that Affleck has said that this was done for dramatic tension purposes, not as a slight on the British.

Mogs Feb 25th 2013 10:59 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10566797)
I tried to watch Lincoln on the plane, whether it was because it was on a crap small screen or its just not my thing I don't know. I do know I was bored senseless and had a great sleep to it, though its that long I woke up twice and it was still droning on. I find DDL very creepy too, watched him get interviewed last night for some Arab TV channel and the intense stare he was giving the quite hot presenter would of freaked me out

Uncannily, I watched Lincoln on a plane yesterday. It was an ok film, but not worthy of an Oscar IMO

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 25th 2013 11:00 am

Watching Argo tonight, it's on HD PPV with Du.

Meow Feb 25th 2013 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 10567215)
Uncannily, I watched Lincoln on a plane yesterday. It was an ok film, but not worthy of an Oscar IMO

The film didn't win the Oscar. Only Daniel DL did for his Acting. ;)

Kix - I think you'd still like Argo, despite the inaccuracies.

I really liked Silver Linings Playbook, although I'm not sure that Jennifer Lawrence's performance was Oscar worthy.

Kix Feb 25th 2013 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10567228)
The film didn't win the Oscar. Only Daniel DL did for his Acting. ;)

Kix - I think you'd still like Argo, despite the inaccuracies.

I really liked Silver Linings Playbook, although I'm not sure that Jennifer Lawrence's performance was Oscar worthy.

Que?

I enjoyed Argo, thought Lincoln was boring but DDL played a great part, liked Django too, not that mad about Les Mis, and am still humming and harring about Silver Linings, I have it, just not got around to watching it. I'm afraid Clint in Gran Torino came first last night.

littlejimmy Feb 25th 2013 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10567246)
Que?

I enjoyed Argo, thought Lincoln was boring but DDL played a great part, liked Django too, not that mad about Les Mis, and am still humming and harring about Silver Linings, I have it, just not got around to watching it. I'm afraid Clint in Gran Torino came first last night.

Think she was talking to britexpat.

Meow Feb 25th 2013 11:16 am

Que?

Am I imagining posts now? I was sure you'd said on here that you wouldn't watch Argo because of the distortion of the facts.

:blink::blink:

I may be losing the plot... :huh:

littlejimmy Feb 25th 2013 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10567254)
Am I imagining posts now? I was sure you'd said on here that you wouldn't watch Argo because of the distortion of the facts.

:blink::blink:

I may be losing the plot... :huh:

No, it was britexpat76 who said that. He is Kix's conjoined twin. Possibly.

Imack1811 Feb 25th 2013 11:26 am

[QUOTE=Meow;10566782]The award ceremony was last night, so what are your thoughts?

Saw Argo on the plane over a couple of weeks ago, really enjoyed it.....finding out that it was another example of americans rewriting history has spoiled it for me now, can't stick when they do that, bloody typical!

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 25th 2013 11:32 am

Que?

Gran Torino is a great film IMO. What did you think?

Kix Feb 25th 2013 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10567305)
Gran Torino is a great film IMO. What did you think?

Very possibly Eastwood's best ever.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 25th 2013 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10567336)
Very possibly Eastwood's best ever.

Phew.

Was speaking to someone about it the other day (i'd just watched it) and he said it was shit.

Meow Feb 25th 2013 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10567349)
Phew.

Was speaking to someone about it the other day (i'd just watched it) and he said it was shit.

I enjoyed the film, but spend the whole time wishing Eastwood would clear his throat.