Orbit Showtime

Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Orbit Showtime

I have finally lost all patience with EVision after my latest customer service experience with them (regarding ELife - don't bother), so want to consider having the Showtime satellite installed instead.

However, one question I have that I cannot find the answer to is that I currently have three cable boxes in my villa and just pay a nominal extra monthly fee for the additional outlets.

With Showtime, does anyone have additional boxes, and if so, do you have to pay a whole additional subscription for each or is it a nominal additional charge? Do you have to have a satellite dish for each or can they route them all from the same dish?

Thank you in advance!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orbit Showtime

When I moved earlier this year I brought with me the old OSN box. I needed a new subscription because the previous one had lapsed. AED777 for digi box (old one not digi), set-up and 1st month's subscription; the installation guys tried to use one of the many dishes on my (shared) roof, but decided to install a new one just for me; all included in the price.

Was a shitty picture to start with, but is ok now.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Bahtatboy, when you say "installation guys", who are they? We're going to by a Showtime box (from somewhere like Plug Ins or E-City, presumably) ... does the shop that sells you the box also install it for you?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:03 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Normally OSN provide the box and do the installation free of charge...don't they?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea...I've
a) never had satellite TV before
b) never had TV in the UAE before
c) never had any contact with Showtime before

So I'm somewhat in the dark.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, LH is right - if you subscribe directly to Showtime over the phone or through one of their kiosks/shops, depending upon which package you go for, they'll provide either a free box/dish etc, or charge a one-off fee, which should include installation.

I guess if you buy a box directly from a shop, you'd still need to get Showtime to put up a dish and provide a card for the box, so probably better just to go straight to them.

The minimal contact I've had with Showtime is that they seem pretty good, a million times better than Evision (not difficult) although I have heard one or two horror stories, but you could say that about any UAE retailer.

Note - Spell-checker suggestion for Evision - Evasion - perfect.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Millsyisland View Post
Yes, LH is right - if you subscribe directly to Showtime over the phone or through one of their kiosks/shops, depending upon which package you go for, they'll provide either a free box/dish etc, or charge a one-off fee, which should include installation.

I guess if you buy a box directly from a shop, you'd still need to get Showtime to put up a dish and provide a card for the box, so probably better just to go straight to them.

The minimal contact I've had with Showtime is that they seem pretty good, a million times better than Evision (not difficult) although I have heard one or two horror stories, but you could say that about any UAE retailer.
Agreed. I've been with Showtime and now OSN for many years, and for the most part, have had few complaints. Relative to middle-eastern standards of customer service, they are excellent. They are not BSkyB, but then who is?

Am now getting eLife for the other rooms - didn't realise it had a bad reputation when it came to service? What were the issues you had with them?

I guess the obvious issue is that OSN / Showtime is a private company with shareholders and a management that's keen to turn out a profit and retain its customers. It also has some competition.

Etisalat, on the other hand, isn't private. It is also a monopoly.

That Smith guy had it right all the time.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:12 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bought my subscription from the shop on Electra, and without having to do anything else OSN rang and arranged a time for the installation guys to come and do their work. Was relatively painless.