British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Opticians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/opticians-894452/)

Kakawax Mar 25th 2017 2:39 pm

Opticians

I've broken my best pair of specs so went to Marina mall forearmed with the knowledge that this town is a total rip...I wasn't surprised but still considerably miffed to be quoted 4250 aed for the most basic varifocal lenses :eek:

Frames were a similar price to back home but WTF!? 1000 Euros for lenses :rofl: I lol'd ... I generally spend around £350 on a decent pair all in.
Well now I know why the opticians shops are always empty.

The two opticians in the mall had similar pricing and I know I'm going to find the same price fixing in all the main shopping cathedrals.

Is it worth looking out in the boonies of Satwa and Karama for more realistic prices or should I just wait for the next time I get the opportunity to touch down on planet Earth..!?

Millhouse Mar 25th 2017 2:59 pm

Re: Opticians

I just had some old glasses re-glazed.

Variable thingy, 900dh. I chipped him down from 975. Deffo could have pushed more off but couldn't be bothered as was doing it for someone else. Took him around 3 days to do the job. Satwa.

Kakawax Mar 25th 2017 3:35 pm

I'll be searching in Satwa tomorrow then.. cheers ;)

Millhouse Mar 25th 2017 3:38 pm

I always go to a guy opposite viva style salon near the mosque.

must have bought/reglazed about 10 pairs from him over the years.

DXBtoDOH Mar 25th 2017 5:30 pm

Satwa? Eh. Been there, done that. Got suckered in by cheap prices, result was poor quality.

I wear Silhouette frames and there's a place in Satwa that claims to sell them. Bought a pair. Within the year the lenses were scratched (my previous pair from the UK lasted six years before replacing lenses). Got another pair of lenses. Within a year all scratched again.

So I went to Vision Express in Mall of Emirates (on off chance) and they also sell Silhouettes. Store also had a buy one, get another frame free (any in the shop!) Bought two including lenses, and two years later it's still just like new. I paid 3k AED total (second frame was free but still needed to buy the second pair of lenses). The second frame is perfect for when I need to go incognito for blind dates as my alter ego is a twat Frenchman ;)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 26th 2017 5:03 am

Maghrabi I think, in Dubai mall.

Did a great job for me, sorted in a few hours but mine are quite weak prescription. 4,000+ is too much, I'd rather not see.

TheShed Mar 26th 2017 6:58 am

I am similarly put off by high price, low quality in DXB. I need varifocals for driving and riding my bike and came across these guys in the UK. All in in took me about two weeks to get the actual glasses and they were spot on for about 200 quid, genuine Oakley sport with Oakley manufactured lenses. Al lot of their stock is geared towards the sports market, but I'm sure you can find something on there. Obviously, you'll need your prescription from here.

I'm happy enough that I'll be ordering some more soon.

Give them a shout

Oakley, Ray-Ban, Bolle, Rudy Project and adidas Sports Sunglasses - RxSport

IKnowNothing Mar 26th 2017 8:38 am

Wonder why there's so many half blind men on the bored?

mission Mar 26th 2017 10:09 am

doesn't your company cover the cost?
my company pays 50% towards eye wear

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 26th 2017 11:14 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12213303)

Eye don't believe you.

Millhouse Mar 26th 2017 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12213332)
Eye don't believe you.

I didn't see that coming at all.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 26th 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12213341)
I didn't see that coming at all.

Should have gone to specsavers

Kakawax Mar 26th 2017 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12213303)

actually yes.... I shall look into it :thumbup: