Opinions?

Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:11 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Opinions?

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd - Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks..

Separately, Rudd angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote:

'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians. '

'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'

'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!'

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.'

'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'
Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions?

Australia has a lot of problems with our old mufdi http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6086374.stm and apparently he's been up to his old tricks again. Mr Rudd is probably directing his comments to him and his followers rather than the thousands of muslims that live in harmony in Australia.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:37 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I don't think it's directed solely at Muslims. As I read it, he is saying either join the community or get out. I don't disagree with that when you emigrate to a country. Maybe if a few other countries adopted the integrate or leave attitude, things wouldn't be so bad.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:29 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

That's one of those there e-mail thingies that has been round the houses several times.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:37 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Opinions?

What a bunch of racists.

Brilliant though, why didn't we think of it first?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:11 pm
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Charismatic
What a bunch of racists.

Brilliant though, why didn't we think of it first?
How so? Surely if you elect to emigrate to a country it's acceptable for that country to expect you to integrate into the community.
By all means, preserve your own heritage, religion, beliefs etc, but also respect that you have chosen that country as your home and should also respect their heritage, religion and beliefs.
That's reasonable, isn't it?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Roadking
I have to say I don't think it's directed solely at Muslims. As I read it, he is saying either join the community or get out. I don't disagree with that when you emigrate to a country. Maybe if a few other countries adopted the integrate or leave attitude, things wouldn't be so bad.
So why aren't we told to pray in mosques while we are here? The answer is simply that (unlike the Saudis), the UAE regime is mildly tolerant. Australia should be careful where its new policy is leading.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
So why aren't we told to pray in mosques while we are here? The answer is simply that (unlike the Saudis), the UAE regime is mildly tolerant. Australia should be careful where its new policy is leading.
maybe im on the wrong end of the stick but, i didnt see expats complaining when their muslim colleagues go off to pray during the day. Or during the holy month leave earlier than those not fasting....

I was reading about a head teacher who quit after there was outrage from Muslim parents because the head would not have a separate assembly for muslim children....

In some respects i agree that a country needs to keep its foundation otherwise where does it end....
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:44 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

hey, the saudi's don't force you go to a mosque and pray either! (you just can't have any other religion here... )

assimilation has been a large feature in oz be it at the fore or in the background. (white australia policy, one nation party, cronulla riots, etc.) it's also a political tool used time and again by the prime minister of the time to redirect attention from other issues. it's all a bunch of hot air that panders to a fiercely-denied-but-ever-present sense of australian nationalism/patriotism/xenophobia/call-it-what-you-will that lurks beneath the surface.

what do you expect from a handful of people that live on a huge island and fear the unknown?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:53 pm
If I have to explain...

I agree Shadya, the UAE is mildly tolerant. However, most people who come the the ME do so without the expectation that they will make a permanent home here. Nor do the expect that, if things go wrong, the Government will assist them to overcome any difficulties; Social Security, medical benefits, housing support.

The comparison between emigration, where there are expectations, and living in the Middle East are not relevant.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:54 pm
If I have to explain...

Sorry, missed the sub text.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:02 pm
If I have to explain...

Aaah, bollcocks; what was I saying about this place being no fun?

I'd deport anyone who has ginger hair and is under 5' 3" and wears plaid trousers. That's a lot of golfers...
Old Feb 13th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
I agree Shadya, the UAE is mildly tolerant. However, most people who come the the ME do so without the expectation that they will make a permanent home here. Nor do the expect that, if things go wrong, the Government will assist them to overcome any difficulties; Social Security, medical benefits, housing support.

The comparison between emigration, where there are expectations, and living in the Middle East are not relevant.
Have to agree with that - until the UAE comes up with the equivalent of a 'leave to remain indefinitely' visa and it's accompanying 'rights' then there can be no comparison as there are no immigrants here, just foreign guest workers.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:16 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, look:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/australia.asp

It says John Howard said it, and although the quotes are correct, they have been put together to give the misleading impression that it was the enacting of a formal policy.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Jacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really niceJacquie77 is just really nice

I kind of agree with it (however accurate it is)

I don't think it's racist. I think it's a bit of a cheek to move to a country and expect it to change for you. I think England, for example) has been a bit too tolerant in that regard. If you move to a country, you should try and fit in with the people and not expect them to make huge allowances for you. If they do (which is a bonus) then great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.