GOOD
69.23%
BAD
30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Open University MBA

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:33 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open University MBA

OU has got a very good reputation in the UK. Very few British schools have name recognition outside (Oxford and Cambridge are new to the game but riding off their histories; LBS and Cranfield are probably the best known of the others - LBS in particular is considered world class).

The main drawback as I see it: you'll get the knowledge and the piece of paper but the third piece of an MBA - the network - won't be anywhere near as strong as that you'd build from actually attending a school. Since graduating, the vast majority of my job interviews and all my job offers have come through the business school network one way or another.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tiger989
As a manager would you consider someone who has done an MBA through the open university better than a traditional MBA from a top program?
No - wouldnt hire someone (over another candidate) with a qualification from an institution like this. There are other places with better reputations for online MBA's.

Have seen some interesting 'degrees' from candidates here. Some don't stand up to much probing. Thinking of Sulaim Al Fahim here.

Try investigating some of the Australian programmes. I am part way through a Masters (online - not an MBA) and an MBA from a University with an MBA rating in the global top 100 will set you back in the order of $24,000 AUD - a long way away from $42k USD.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
No - wouldnt hire someone (over another candidate) with a qualification from an institution like this. There are other places with better reputations for online MBA's.

Have seen some interesting 'degrees' from candidates here. Some don't stand up to much probing. Thinking of Sulaim Al Fahim here.

Try investigating some of the Australian programmes. I am part way through a Masters (online - not an MBA) and an MBA from a University with an MBA rating in the global top 100 will set you back in the order of $24,000 AUD - a long way away from $42k USD.
All respect given, but I still haven't seen a convincing argument for any kind of MBA at all. Typical mentioned the networking and contact benefits which are undeniable but as an academic qualification I find MBA graduates a little too willing to fall back on them rather than relying on experienced gained 'in situ'.

And the world has changed - if the economic upheaval of the last couple of years hasn't persuaded employers that good old-fashioned experience is far more valuable than a piece of paper that says you can do 'financial modelling' and 'value at risk analytics', then God help us all.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Dean
All respect given and accepted
As an engineer, myself and colleagues refer to it as the Master of Bugger All...never met quite as many as I have here in the UAE.

I'm doing a Masters in Applied Finance - simply because I had quite bit of time on my hands working in the highlands of Malaysia and in outback West Australia. Only so much internet you can surf.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:04 pm
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spart

Thanks for the advice all, I have decided to take the MBA course with OU. Its simple, easy to register and has alot of accreditions. My main aim to have an MBA is simply a bonus card. I have enough engineering knowledge and experience but to reach to higher positions I would need a Masters in general.