GOOD
69.23%
BAD
30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Open University MBA

Old Dec 31st 2009, 4:48 pm
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light
Post Open University MBA

Do you recommend it?
Do you know any one who has done it and speaks about it positively or negatively?
As a manager would you consider someone who has done an MBA through the open university better than a traditional MBA from a top program?

Let me know your opinions...
Old Dec 31st 2009, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open University MBA

Originally Posted by Tiger989
Do you recommend it?
Do you know any one who has done it and speaks about it positively or negatively?
As a manager would you consider someone who has done an MBA through the open university better than a traditional MBA from a top program?

The OU is fantastic, for first degrees, higher degrees, etc...........

.............. but why do you want/need an MBA? I thought they had gone out of fashion - in my line of work, MBA stands for Means Bugger All.............
Old Dec 31st 2009, 4:54 pm

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Dean
The OU is fantastic, for first degrees, higher degrees, etc...........

.............. but why do you want/need an MBA? I thought they had gone out of fashion - in my line of work, MBA stands for Means Bugger All.............
I don't need an MBA, I friggin hate it to be honest with you... But currently, I'm stuck on site with only technical knowledge... I need to leave the site with stronger cards in my hand
So looking for a quick online MBA, so far best I can find value for money is Open University, second best is University of Florida, but it would cost me a stunning $42,000. While OU would cost a nice 12,000GBP
Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's good...plenty of people on BE have gone through OU....need to be UK resident when you start the course though.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:21 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Look where an MBA got me!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Bob
It's good...plenty of people on BE have gone through OU....need to be UK resident when you start the course though.
I've sent an email couple of days ago regarding this point. Because on the website, it contradicts it point. It says you can apply for any course any where in the world but OU deals with only certain countries. Lets see what they reply for that. Should be no issue starting the course in UAE. Its an online MBA in the end of the day.

Originally Posted by lionheart
Look where an MBA got me!
Where did it get you?
An MBA is just simply a symbol status, more cards at your end of the table. Hence looking for an online MBA. I got a double major engineering degree but seems to be not enough in UAE...

Last edited by Tiger989; Jan 1st 2010 at 11:45 am.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 1:22 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

That's not true. The OU website states otherwise.
-

Last edited by Meow; Jan 1st 2010 at 1:24 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 1:55 pm
Banned

begmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nice

Do you recommend it?

You should look at the Financial Times Rankings of how the MBA stands out globally. I done my MBA at the University of Strathclyde which has triple quality Accreditations, and stood like top 40 globally and top 6 UK. The reputation of the Business School matters, there is alot of bias and nepotism in the industry.

I done the executive program so you benefit hugely from the alumni and also the network contacts which you develop. I am very skeptical about distance learning because you cant learn from others and it doesnt facilitate knowledge sharing.

A friend of mind done it via the Open university and then dropped out.

Fundamental parts of the MBA is Strategy development, you should identify and find out what kind of Strategy Electives they teach. Also you should see there course materials.

LBS has got the Top program given it a comparison. Also check out the Open unviersity track records on salaries, professions etc.

cheers
Old Jan 1st 2010, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by begmohsin
You should look at the Financial Times Rankings of how the MBA stands out globally. I done my MBA at the University of Strathclyde which has triple quality Accreditations, and stood like top 40 globally and top 6 UK. The reputation of the Business School matters, there is alot of bias and nepotism in the industry.

I done the executive program so you benefit hugely from the alumni and also the network contacts which you develop. I am very skeptical about distance learning because you cant learn from others and it doesnt facilitate knowledge sharing.

Fundamental parts of the MBA is Strategy development, you should identify and find out what kind of Strategy Electives they teach. Also you should see there course materials.

LBS has got the Top program given it a comparison. Also check out the Open unviersity track records on salaries, professions etc.

cheers
Does the Strathclyde MBA require a minimum standard of English grammar before accepting students?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Does the Strathclyde MBA require a minimum standard of English grammar before accepting students?
It dinnae need...
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Confucius
It dinnae need...
Ah yes............ Scottish grammar...............
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes............ Scottish grammar...............
Aye...
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent an email couple of days ago regarding this point. Because on the website, it contradicts it point. It says you can apply for any course any where in the world but OU deals with only certain countries. Lets see what they reply for that. Should be no issue starting the course in UAE. Its an online MBA in the end of the day.
Well good luck

Things might have changed, or it might be course dependent, but quite a few people were having trouble trying to start a course when not resident in the UK, continuing a course that they had started hasn't been a problem though, except for a few were the odd lab classes were required for exams.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Print your own ...

http://www.boxfreeconcepts.com/magicmill/index.html
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by begmohsin

cheers
Oh aye, the ranking is quit important.
But as online MBA goes, you are very limited to the choices, and especially the prices of the courses. A Harvard or London Buisness School MBA would cost you a nice or shall I say a stunning price of more than 350,000 DH... I don't think my salary will jump that high regardless of what degree I have...

OU has great ranking according to the Financial Times and Buisness Week.

Just curious about the OU reputation than anything else Or if any one went through the program.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.