Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Only in Dubai during Ramadan

Only in Dubai during Ramadan

Old May 31st 2017, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Only in Dubai during Ramadan

Originally Posted by co durham boy
You're paid handsomely for your services and you are not fasting . I'd be expecting you to lead by example if you were working for me .
I get it. I just dislike the old school nature of not connecting general hours for the sake of it to look good and actual productive hours.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I get it. I just dislike the old school nature of not connecting general hours for the sake of it to look good and actual productive hours.
There must be articles about it in the FT and Economist. Print them out and leave them on their desks.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 4:23 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

You're paid handsomely for your services and you are not fasting . I'd be expecting you to lead by example if you were working for me .
That's pretty old fashioned thinking, unless you are in some industry that requires an actual presence regardless of work load.

I herd my guys out the door as much as possible at normal finishing time, I hate presenteeism and unproductive hours.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You do get a lot of desk olympics out here that's for sure . I find the rule if thumb is that you get nowt done if you don't put the grind in though .
Old Jun 1st 2017, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

In at 9, finish at 3 - can't complain! Bit of sunbathing on the balcony before hitting the gym.

Definitely one of the perks of living in the Gulf although did feel a bit awkward walking past the CEO at 3pm on the dot...
Old Jun 1st 2017, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
In at 9, finish at 3 - can't complain! Bit of sunbathing on the balcony before hitting the gym.
my timings are the same....although i usually get in the office around 9.15ish
Old Jun 1st 2017, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Its the best time of the year in the sandpit - 4 hours of work (10-30 until 2-30), in the gym and back home by 5 - only problem is then no coffee shop is open until 6:30 !!

Im going to try and hit my target of 1000 posts here but how the hell do I change my display pic ???
Old Jun 1st 2017, 8:28 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhat annoyingly, I am very busy as those of you on shorter hours have time to see me this month. And professional contacts are often quieter so want to plan ahead so the freelance writing requests are up too.

I won't wait for the sound of a violin.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 9:41 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Somewhat annoyingly, I am very busy as those of you on shorter hours have time to see me this month. And professional contacts are often quieter so want to plan ahead so the freelance writing requests are up too.

I won't wait for the sound of a violin.
A Stradivarius, presumably.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 10:24 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I herd my guys out the door as much as possible at normal finishing time, I hate presenteeism and unproductive hours.
This.
I make sure that my boys are always out of the door on time.
So if on the one or two occasions a month I do ask them to work overtime, they dont mind it and since I pay them for it, then they actually look forward to it instead of moaning about it.

Btw 10-4 for my office...and 12-4 for myself

Old Jun 3rd 2017, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
That's pretty old fashioned thinking, unless you are in some industry that requires an actual presence regardless of work load.

We're still proper old school.

Not only did we EXTEND the normal working day recently - now working from 8.30am to 6.30 pm ( an extra 30 mins added to end of the day ) , but during Ramadan, we insist on EVERY Saturday in at the office - instead of every alternate Saturday in.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
We're still proper old school.

Not only did we EXTEND the normal working day recently - now working from 8.30am to 6.30 pm ( an extra 30 mins added to end of the day ) , but during Ramadan, we insist on EVERY Saturday in at the office - instead of every alternate Saturday in.
Wow. And in my world I just had a briefing from one of our board members saying that as knowledge workers we can work any hours we like a day and anywhere we like - we just need to deliver on the output.

Which probably means more hours in the office.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 5:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by al dente
There must be articles about it in the FT and Economist. Print them out and leave them on their desks.
Good shout.

You do get a lot of desk olympics out here that's for sure . I find the rule if thumb is that you get nowt done if you don't put the grind in though .
Amen to that. It's all that matters. Sometimes I wish I had a job where there wasn't ALWAYS something more that could be done.