British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Only in Dubai during Ramadan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/only-dubai-during-ramadan-897323/)

TheShed May 29th 2017 9:48 am

Only in Dubai during Ramadan

LOL, here I was on day two of Ramadan gagging for a smoke during the day and I happened upon an Arabic restaurant which is open during the holy month.

I went in for a coffee and the place is stuffed full of smokers from my office tower with a great many of them on the Shisha as well :rofl::rofl::rofl:

scrubbedexpat141 May 29th 2017 9:55 am

Re: Only in Dubai during Ramadan

Brilliant.

I'm having to go and drink water in the kitchen.
Grateful I quit smoking at work because fudge knows where I'd get away with that.

Inselaffen May 29th 2017 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12262129)
LOL, here I was on day two of Ramadan gagging for a smoke during the day and I happened upon an Arabic restaurant which is open during the holy month.

I went in for a coffee and the place is stuffed full of smokers from my office tower with a great many of them on the Shisha as well :rofl::rofl::rofl:

must be catering for Diabetics who can't fast ;)

DXBtoDOH May 30th 2017 6:39 am

For all practical purposes Ramadan is dying in Dubai. It'll still be practised by the Muslims but the laws are disappearing for the rest. Truth be told, bit of a shame because while you may embrace the looser restrictions and greater choices of open venues and bars/brunches, it's going to come with a cost. Say goodbye to the shorter Ramadan hours for the rest of us. Say goodbye to a relaxed, laid back month.

scrubbedexpat141 May 30th 2017 6:58 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12262569)
Say goodbye to the shorter Ramadan hours for the rest of us. Say goodbye to a relaxed, laid back month.

I thought this yesterday. I like the easy month...

mission May 30th 2017 10:44 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12262569)
For all practical purposes Ramadan is dying in Dubai. It'll still be practised by the Muslims but the laws are disappearing for the rest. Truth be told, bit of a shame because while you may embrace the looser restrictions and greater choices of open venues and bars/brunches, it's going to come with a cost. Say goodbye to the shorter Ramadan hours for the rest of us. Say goodbye to a relaxed, laid back month.

:goodpost:

Bahtatboy May 30th 2017 2:41 pm

Ours is really laid back here. Sorry, I meant just "back". Instead of working 7 - 6, we now work 6 - 5 (with the early finish at 5 "optional"). :unsure:

nonthaburi May 30th 2017 3:24 pm

Doing 10:00-14:45 where I am, which is the only bright point out of the whole thing.

Looking forward to heading to Europe in a couple of weeks.

scrubbedexpat141 May 31st 2017 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12262853)
Ours is really laid back here. Sorry, I meant just "back". Instead of working 7 - 6, we now work 6 - 5 (with the early finish at 5 "optional"). :unsure:

'Optional'. Eurgh. We're doing 8-4 so not that much of a reduction from 8-6 but nice not to have to sit here 10hrs a day.
Sorry?
Yeah
Yeah, we're old school. How good you are or how hard you work is ONLY based on the hours you do. Here til midnight? In at 0700? RAISE.

co durham boy May 31st 2017 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12263178)
'Optional'. Eurgh. We're doing 8-4 so not that much of a reduction from 8-6 but nice not to have to sit here 10hrs a day.
Sorry?
Yeah
Yeah, we're old school. How good you are or how hard you work is ONLY based on the hours you do. Here til midnight? In at 0700? RAISE.

You're paid handsomely for your services and you are not fasting . I'd be expecting you to lead by example if you were working for me .

mission May 31st 2017 9:26 am

SHED, do you still going cycling in this heat/humidity?

IKnowNothing May 31st 2017 9:38 am

Camels

If they'd been humans they'd be in jail by now.

IKnowNothing May 31st 2017 9:45 am

Iftar

Someone didn't get the message....

TheShed May 31st 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12263265)
SHED, do you still going cycling in this heat/humidity?

Yes, but only a couple of times a week and relatively short distances.

Millhouse May 31st 2017 11:52 am

I must say I'm really enjoying Ramadan this year (as I always do).