Online Degrees

Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Online Degrees

Does anyone know anything about the online degrees from places like Almeda University?

So-called life experience counts towards your grades. If you can show relevant experience that matches their syllabus, you get 'credits', and if you appear to have ticked every box, you get a degree - with no studying to do or essays to submit etc.

Costs about USD 700 I believe - is it genuine? And is it officially recognised anywhere?

And is there any point to it?

(I think I'll ask the same question on the USA thread)
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:33 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online Degrees

Probably is genuine meaning that it is not a scam but not genuine if you think it has value.- it will be adegree awarded by an institute. However I doubt that the institute would have a charter (I think that is official approval from the Nations Education Dept) to award it.

It would be perfectly acceptable to buy one but, rather like the speed camera detector, it would be almost certainly wrong to use it. So buying one will not land you up in jail but if you buy it and then claim to be something then you can get into trouble with an employer or client.

Look, I can print you up a degree if you want - just let me know what your experience is. If you want one in heart surgery then you may be better going to Almeda ...

I'm doing one with the ou at present - wish I'd chosen your option though - might have ben easier.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Probably is genuine meaning that it is not a scam but not genuine if you think it has value.- it will be adegree awarded by an institute. However I doubt that the institute would have a charter (I think that is official approval from the Nations Education Dept) to award it.

It would be perfectly acceptable to buy one but, rather like the speed camera detector, it would be almost certainly wrong to use it. So buying one will not land you up in jail but if you buy it and then claim to be something then you can get into trouble with an employer or client.

Look, I can print you up a degree if you want - just let me know what your experience is. If you want one in heart surgery then you may be better going to Almeda ...

I'm doing one with the ou at present - wish I'd chosen your option though - might have ben easier.
Thanks for that.

What I don't want is to 'buy' a qualification (even if I have 'earned' it through having the experience to pass an exam comfortably if I were to take one, simply because of what I have learned in the work I've been doing for 30 years) and then be 'accused' of claiming to be something I'm not.

I've enjoyed a reasonably successful career without a degree - should I even be worrying about it?

I will be looking for something else when my current contract ends on 31 Dec, and there is a good chance of something more senior/challenging than I'm doing now............ tricky one.

Thanks again for the thoughtful reply.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

Does anyone know anything about the online degrees from places like Almeda University?

So-called life experience counts towards your grades. If you can show relevant experience that matches their syllabus, you get 'credits', and if you appear to have ticked every box, you get a degree - with no studying to do or essays to submit etc.

Costs about USD 700 I believe - is it genuine? And is it officially recognised anywhere?

And is there any point to it?

(I think I'll ask the same question on the USA thread)
i can't imagine it would have any value with an employer...and what's the point...?

MM, xx
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:01 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Online Degrees

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i can't imagine it would have any value with an employer...and what's the point...?

MM, xx
Couldn't agree more MM (Let's not make it a habit though), I've always thought of qualifications as being a way to get your foot but that's all.

In a few careers like Engineering, Accounting etc. you usually need a degree to join their organisations so you can be "Chartered", recieve a monthly magazine and use a couple of extra letters on your business cards in exchange of an exorbidant fee .
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:07 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well why not do a degree by study. I live in Kuwait and guess that in terms of occupational therapy - the need is just as high in KSA and one of my strategies is doing another degree by study.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I have a degree (in Physics!) that is not even remotely connected and completely useless in my job. It has never been an issue and I think employers in our field equally value experience and achievements.

You may want to get that degree (am assuming it is not considered fake) for visa purposes though?

Last edited by IndieG; Sep 19th 2008 at 5:23 am.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

for my recent Singapore visa application they had a list of authorised Universities and courses at those unis. If your Uni wasn't on the list you wouldn't get a visa!

I've got too damn many Uni qualifications so if someone wants to buy one of mine they are welcome, especially as i will be paying for the last one myself for the next 5 years
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
I have a degree (in Physics!) that is not even remotely connected and completely useless in my job. It has never been an issue and I think employers in our field equally value experience and achievements.

You may want to get that degree (am assuming it is not considered fake) for visa purposes though?
yeah, i agree...my degree (economics) has no relevance to my job...

MM, xx
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yeah, i agree...my degree (economics) has no relevance to my job...

MM, xx
whereas my Degree in Politics is.......
GDL and LPC were also a bit of a waste of time (and lots of my hard earned)
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:37 am
Banned

I've got one in Physics too and it is of no use to my job - but so what? You need a degree for a visa so it is useful; and for a driving licence (in Kuwait) so it is useful and I enjoyed the study. It actually helps me a tiny bit because I'm doing a masters in maths for something to do here.

I think that there is a real alternative to studying and then going into that subject as a career.

No more uninteresting and unrounded people there are in the world than the Hong Kong girls who do accounting at school, accountancy at University, do the ACCA Accountants certification and then becomes an accountant!!

But!!! Not everyone thinks that way and there is nothing wrong with developing a carreer from school through life!! It's just different.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how you do it - nothing would ever motivate me to study and pursue another degree now - not even if it would mean earning twice as much. Even training programs and seminars bore me to death.

Last edited by IndieG; Sep 19th 2008 at 7:04 am.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
I've got one in Physics too and it is of no use to my job - but so what? You need a degree for a visa so it is useful; and for a driving licence (in Kuwait) so it is useful and I enjoyed the study. It actually helps me a tiny bit because I'm doing a masters in maths for something to do here.

I think that there is a real alternative to studying and then going into that subject as a career.

No more uninteresting and unrounded people there are in the world than the Hong Kong girls who do accounting at school, accountancy at University, do the ACCA Accountants certification and then becomes an accountant!!

But!!! Not everyone thinks that way and there is nothing wrong with developing a carreer from school through life!! It's just different.
You need a degree for a driving licence????
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Saj786 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeh, please do clarify if you really need a degree to get a DL in Kuwait, that really does sound odd!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:17 am
Banned

Yes you do need one.

There are exceptions by occupation such as:

Doctors and lawyers
Drivers
Managers
Firemen
The caller of the mosque
Wives of some of the above and others as well.
Transfer of a GCC license

Virtually all Brits would get an exemption if they hold a Brit DL as these are transferable without taking a test.

The aim of the exercise is sensible - it is a way of limiting trafic growth. The logic is nice too - if you have a degree you are likely to be educated and so on.

The driving in Kuwait is the worst in the world and characterised by untrained drivers on fake licences obtained through bribery. There are just too many people killed on the road and when you see the car parks at the schools then you can see why. 17 yr old girls with powerful sports cars does not bode well.

This limiting process is the start of something bigger I sense. And hopefully extending into the region too.

OK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.