Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Which one would you recommend?

Which one would you recommend?

Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Which one would you recommend?

Jeep - I would love an SRT 8 but this is more road than off road, I would say. A 6.1 Hemi engine and approx. 420BHP = much fun on Tarmac but maybe not so off road. Apparently it has a crawl mode for sand that works out for you how much power should be delivered to the wheels! I will get a test drive of all these things and see what happens. I mainly off road for camping as opposed to smashing around on the Dunes but it all adds up to the same I guess.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

there's an all new Jeep (Grand Cherokee?) coming out that is supposed to be very good and affordable.

but as someone mentioned American 4x4s aren't really sand-niggaz rides - Nissan or Toyota are though
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I'm amazed you can get 150kph out of it.

but...

I suspect you have a bigger thank in your model. I've never managed to get more than 100Dh (new prices) in it even when the light was on. It's about 55litres.

If you are getting 20% more fuel in your car that would explain the 20% extra miles per tank...
I think you're spot on - mine's a bigger tank because its a 5 door / 7 seater model, sorry I think I misunderstood... yours is different?

Also, mine's an older model but that probably won't explain the 25% tank size differential.

Getting mine to 160 km/h on highways isn't an issue, even at 3.0L - that's fairly comfortable - but yes it seriously lacks grunt for any over-taking even at lower speeds.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got the 3.5L LWB Pajero, getting 500kms a tank at an average cost of 135dhs a fill (88L tank), driving between 80 and 130 to work (al falah street excluded). EM is right about the ****ing annoying beeping after 120kph get it deactivated at the 1000km service for 200dhs . 2010 model and paid 96,900dhs just before Ramadan.

Latest offer appears to be including 2 years insurance and 50k servicing, not sure what the prices are like.

The blind spots aren't that bad if your willing to crane your neck a little bit. Engine isn't that noisy after the revs drop, however I find a lot of noise from outside (wind or something) when going past 100.

Nothing has fell of mine yet, however there is a lot of plastic on it so will see how it goes.

Wasn't allowed the SWB as the wife wants something we can put a baby seat into easily, however we are both happy we went with the Pajero.

We liked the Chevrolet Captiva, but a little out our price range.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by saudiflares
there's an all new Jeep (Grand Cherokee?) coming out that is supposed to be very good and affordable.

but as someone mentioned American 4x4s aren't really sand-niggaz rides - Nissan or Toyota are though
Unfortunately the SRT 8 isn't an offered option YET on the 2011 model JGC but yes, you're right! It is ranked very highly by reviewers. You need to spend a lot of money to beat Japanese, IMO. They just do everything required and more plus bags of electronic goodies that you'll never switch on! Brilliant

Last edited by Bigtaff; Sep 20th 2010 at 10:12 am.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I've got the 3.5L LWB Pajero, getting 500kms a tank at an average cost of 135dhs a fill (88L tank), driving between 80 and 130 to work (al falah street excluded). EM is right about the ****ing annoying beeping after 120kph get it deactivated at the 1000km service for 200dhs . 2010 model and paid 96,900dhs just before Ramadan.

Latest offer appears to be including 2 years insurance and 50k servicing, not sure what the prices are like.

The blind spots aren't that bad if your willing to crane your neck a little bit. Engine isn't that noisy after the revs drop, however I find a lot of noise from outside (wind or something) when going past 100.

Nothing has fell of mine yet, however there is a lot of plastic on it so will see how it goes.

Wasn't allowed the SWB as the wife wants something we can put a baby seat into easily, however we are both happy we went with the Pajero.

We liked the Chevrolet Captiva, but a little out our price range.
Things will generally only fall off if provoked by the driver e.g nose diving it into a dune! And the noise is probably wind or tyre, like you said. These big 4x4s generally aren't the most aerodynamic of animals
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Land Cruiser is probably the best option. We never had any problems with it.

I didn't like our Pajero too much, it's kind of wobbly to drive so we got rid of it.

We had in Qatar a Chevrolet Tahoe and did serious dune bashing with it. No problem at all and very comfy!
And while this car is a very thirsty one, it will be probably the only time in your life, that you can afford such beasts.

So IMO you should go for BIG!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:47 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

To the OP, a friendly word of advice. If you really want people to answer you, I suggest you start by including the subject matter in your thread title. I am probably not the only one on here who refuses to open your "Anyone?" thread simply because I've no idea what it's about and cannot be bothered to guess. We don't all have time to speculate.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shehryar
I think you're spot on - mine's a bigger tank because its a 5 door / 7 seater model, sorry I think I misunderstood... yours is different?
Yup, 3 door hairdresser version!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lionheart
To the OP, a friendly word of advice. If you really want people to answer you, I suggest you start by including the subject matter in your thread title. I am probably not the only one on here who refuses to open your "Anyone?" thread simply because I've no idea what it's about and cannot be bothered to guess. We don't all have time to speculate.
I always post like that as it entices more people in. If I quizzed "what 4x4 do you like" I would expect less of a response. Even the ladies, with all due respect, have stopped by and given me their opinion! A subject that you wouldn't NORMALLY expect a huge response on from the fairer sex - again, with all due respect. That said, I'm no expert on forum construction, etiquette or anything for that matter! I'm sorry if I have offended you by not putting a subject matter and I will expect no response on your favourite 4x4. Thanks for stopping by though
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

And I apologise for my "anyone?" thread too and will edit it, if possible.

**Wasn't possible - just tried**

Last edited by Bigtaff; Sep 20th 2010 at 11:43 am.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:50 pm
Expat Brat

K8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura about

Am a female petrol head, so it's probably why I jumped straight in, plus as a comms person it's always the alluring headlines that draw my attention.
Each to their own
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:58 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

....But you are the only one who moans about it!

And you still opened this thread and took time to post, all in the interest of forum etiquette I'm sure
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Cant give you karma from mobile RK, so this will have to do.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Cant give you karma from mobile RK, so this will have to do.
you check this on your blackberry - you sad bastard!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.