Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Which one would you recommend?

Which one would you recommend?

Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default Which one would you recommend?

I'm looking to buy a 4x4 here some time soon and would think that most of you already have one so would like your opinions on what you own and drive. Offroad ability, fuel consumption (yes, even at these prices) and comfort being my main factors of interest

I will be using the car to travel up and down to RAK a few times a week plus travelling around for work and a bit of desert driving but not daily.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:58 am
Expat Brat

K8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Which one would you recommend?

Based on your parameters, and even as a humble female, with 15 plus years of desert driving experience, I can heartily recommend any of the following:

Nissan Patrol - Safari version will do - petrol can be a little drained, but its off road performance is next to none - my local friends call the hubby white bedoiun because he drives one
Mitsubishi Pajero - not as strong off road, but equally better on fuel performance - also comfortable

Don't buy American - they are likely to sink the minute they get on the sand. Anything European wouldn't be happy unless up to its hocks in mud - the land rovers tend to have issues with some of their systems - one grain of sand gets in and the car has a hissy fit.

My biggest recommendation would be to buy second hand and an older model of either of the above, as they are more likely to perform - the new ones have far too many electrics and things that can go wrong. Good luck and enjoy the off roading.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K8-notlate
Based on your parameters, and even as a humble female, with 15 plus years of desert driving experience, I can heartily recommend any of the following:

Nissan Patrol - Safari version will do - petrol can be a little drained, but its off road performance is next to none - my local friends call the hubby white bedoiun because he drives one
Mitsubishi Pajero - not as strong off road, but equally better on fuel performance - also comfortable

Don't buy American - they are likely to sink the minute they get on the sand. Anything European wouldn't be happy unless up to its hocks in mud - the land rovers tend to have issues with some of their systems - one grain of sand gets in and the car has a hissy fit.

My biggest recommendation would be to buy second hand and an older model of either of the above, as they are more likely to perform - the new ones have far too many electrics and things that can go wrong. Good luck and enjoy the off roading.
I have a 3l SWB Pajero. It's good off road but underpowered (on and off road). The 3.8l is the better choice. It is comfortable to drive but has the worst blind spots I've ever had on a car and the most irritating beeping above 120kph I have ever heard. It also has the downside of making you look like you run a mobile hair dressing service.

On road, I get 450km / tank (100Dh fill) - I drive 60km a day at speeds between 80kph to 118kph.

If I wind the band up to 130-140kpm it drinks fuel like gazza drinks lager and I get c.280km / tank (I used to do a lot of AD city driving and I would get c.290km / tank).

The new model Pajeros seem to have more plastic bits that fall off them than the older models (mine is 2006 and seems ok so far).

Last edited by Millhouse; Sep 20th 2010 at 7:15 am.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
On road, I get 450km / tank (100Dh fill) - I drive 60km a day at speeds between 80kph to 118kph.
I have the same engine and car (2004 model), and generally get 500 kms / tank.

On long routes only, at 100-120 km/hr speeds, can even get more than 520 km.

Also, a full tank costs AED 120-130 these days since the petrol prices went up.

Agreed that it is under-powered.

Not really into off-roading but it seems to do fine at construction sites etc.

If I wind the band up to 130-140kpm it drinks fuel like gazza drinks lager and I get c.280km / tank.
Nah - something wrong with your engine tuning / timing (?)

On trips to the the Western Province of AD, at average speeds of 140 - 150 km/h, I still get 350-400 km/tank.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shehryar
I have the same engine and car (2004 model), and generally get 500 kms / tank.

On long routes only, at 100-120 km/hr speeds, can even get more than 520 km.

Also, a full tank costs AED 120-130 these days since the petrol prices went up.

Agreed that it is under-powered.

Not really into off-roading but it seems to do fine at construction sites etc.

Nah - something wrong with your engine tuning / timing (?)

On trips to the the Western Province of AD, at average speeds of 140 - 150 km/h, I still get 350-400 km/tank.
Well, the fan belt squeals a bit and I suspect the water pump has a bit of a rattle... It's due a service so I will see what is wrong with it. The filters are probably full of sand...

I'm amazed you can get 150kph out of it.

but...

I suspect you have a bigger thank in your model. I've never managed to get more than 100Dh (new prices) in it even when the light was on. It's about 55litres.

If you are getting 20% more fuel in your car that would explain the 20% extra miles per tank...
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

My company will be giving me an allowance so hope to buy new really. I'd love a Range Rover Sport but this is probably just a big, shiny willy and would cry if it even saw sand. Pajero's seem to be almost for free at the moment with new ones priced at around 99,000AED - thats a lot of car for no money! I don't like the Safari but don't doubt its one of the better ones out there as its so popular with the locals. I do like the new Land Cruiser and Nissan Patrol though! 2010 Patrol is lovely inside too
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

......and the Nissan Armada looks a proper tool as well but the V8 lump might frighten my company
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
......and the Nissan Armada looks a proper tool as well but the V8 lump might frighten my company
awesome car but useless in the sand though I would say.

I love the new 2010 Patrol.

99k for a Pajero.. just do not buy the 3l one (especially if you get the7 seater)
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

I would want the Long Wheel base anyway, which I think only comes in 3.5 or 3.8. The 3.0 is fitted to the SWB models - could be wrong though
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Just checked, only one variant in the LWB is offered in 3.0 so will dodge that for sure!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
I would want the Long Wheel base anyway, which I think only comes in 3.5 or 3.8. The 3.0 is fitted to the SWB models - could be wrong though
i think you might be:

http://abudhabi.dubizzle.com/classif...-option-no-1-/

don't but a LWB Pajero - they are so darn ugly!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

99k for a Pajero.. just do not buy the 3l one (especially if you get the7 seater)
99k was the price over Ramadan and I have a friend on the inside who says they are still on the way down in price too!! Quite how far I don't know but at 99k I'm already happy! I don't know what model that was for mind you but price is correct, Im sure.

Arabian Auto's are offering (from) 25,000AED off their Nissan 4x4 range at the moment too.....
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, hence my post just below of saying there is one version offered on the LWB of 3.0. I checked at source, on your mate Habtoors website
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

But, as you can see from the price of that car in your link, they are very cheap now for a full loaded 4x4 of a high quality IMO.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

For off-roading, I know my friends drive the following:

Pajero - need more than a 3l, would go for a short wheel base if possible and you may need to remove/modify the bumpers as these get grounded and come off very easily

Patrol

Jeep - I have a 2 door Wrangler but wouldnt want to drive long distances in it regularly but its fantastic for the desert

Pathfinder

Landcruiser

FJ

Explorer

For off-roading, whilst part of it is down to the car that you drive, it is really down to your skill. I would never have taken my old Explorer into the sand - too heavy, long wheel base etc, but my friend takes his and is fantastic in it. He handles it well, doesnt get stuck (that much) and has an absolute blast in it.

An alternative is to buy a decent on-road car and buy a really cheap off-roader. Sometimes I wish I had done it that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.