Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

One week holiday in June - where to go?

One week holiday in June - where to go?

Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default One week holiday in June - where to go?

Last week of June, overlapping with the eid holidays. Getting out of Qatar.

Blank slate. Not too fussed about budget but don't want a 14+ hr flight (keep it to 10 hours max). Open to anything - urban, country, beaches, mountains, culture, or a mix of all (ideal).

Suggestions, purty please, kindly folks.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One week holiday in June - where to go?

Barcelona up to the Pyrenees (Andorra is lovely) followed by a train journey along the Med to Montpelier and Marseilles.

Or Milan followed by some time in The Italian lakes and Mountains - wonderful clean air.

Sorted.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Did the Dolomites last June. Wonderful place. Would like something a bit different.

I think I am going to Picos de Europa in September (to be confirmed). So not Spain.

Anyone know anything about Madagascar? Worth it?

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Barcelona up to the Pyrenees (Andorra is lovely) followed by a train journey along the Med to Montpelier and Marseilles.

Or Milan followed by some time in The Italian lakes and Mountains - wonderful clean air.

Sorted.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Sorted.
I went to Milan last month and found it a bit underwhelming tbh. Saying that, if you like shopping, you will be in for a right treat - every big Italian designer brand you can imagine...

However, I have heard great things about the surrounding landscapes including Lake Garda etc.

A recommendation from me -

Positano on the Amalfi Coast, probably one of the most beautiful places in Europe. Very picturesque, great seafood and a real Italian charm. The island of Capri is not far and many people stay 1-2 nights there during their visit. Pompeii and Sorrento are also close by...
Old Mar 27th 2017, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
Positano on the Amalfi Coast, probably one of the most beautiful places in Europe. Very picturesque, great seafood and a real Italian charm. The island of Capri is not far and many people stay 1-2 nights there during their visit. Pompeii and Sorrento are also close by...
Good call, La Sirenuse is amazing (stayed there for one night way back when, couldn't afford more than that)..
Old Mar 27th 2017, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Good call, La Sirenuse is amazing (stayed there for one night way back when, couldn't afford more than that)..
I got myself into a right pickle as I accidentally booked the wrong hotel when I got to Positano. I booked the Poseidon hotel (there are 2, one in Naples and one in Positano) Especially after getting a coach along the coast from Naples for about 4 hours if I remember...

Luckily got myself a deal at Casa Di Peppe last minute, fantastic place with a view to boot!
Old Mar 27th 2017, 8:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm going to Baku in June for the Grand Prix, so don't come there please.

What about Mongolia?
China?
Russia?
Bali?
India?
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, I'll cross off Azerbaijan. One small country isn't big enough for the two of us? If you say so....

Bali - been there, done that, rubbish place (ok, maybe not that rubbish but underwhelming and overdeveloped).

India - Monsoon season. Been a few times already. Maybe a different region?

China - pollution (cough cough) and shit food. But I am intrigued by some parts of Western China.

Russia - been there, done that. Do have friends in Moscow and it'd be nice to see them, but....eh.

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm going to Baku in June for the Grand Prix, so don't come there please.

What about Mongolia?
China?
Russia?
Bali?
India?
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

As a kiddo I got dragged to just about every town in Northern Italy by the parents. Lakes are glorious. Bergamo is a better place to stay if swinging through Milan. Same with the Amalfi Coast and Capri. Italy is a gantastic place to travel. But while I'm still young enough to tolerate some discomfort I have my eyes on the more adventuresome parts of the world.

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
I went to Milan last month and found it a bit underwhelming tbh. Saying that, if you like shopping, you will be in for a right treat - every big Italian designer brand you can imagine...

However, I have heard great things about the surrounding landscapes including Lake Garda etc.

A recommendation from me -

Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:33 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Travelling alone or with someone? How about Iran for a week, not far away though I'm not sure how long the visa process takes.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

go india and pakistan
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

or my parent's birth country...Uganda...actually Mum Uganda and Dad Kenya
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Been already. I like Iran. Great food. Not the prettiest place but some nice cultural things to see. Wouldn't mind going back but not this year. I don't fancy being stuck when Trump does something stupid to piss of the Iranians, even with a UK passport.

Travelling alone this time.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Travelling alone or with someone? How about Iran for a week, not far away though I'm not sure how long the visa process takes.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:50 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
go india and pakistan
If you are a fan of rain, or alternatively searing hot temperatures I'd second this suggestion
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gorillas would be neat. Kenya is having elections this year. Been there twice on safaris already though I'd never say no to another safari. Not sure if it ticks the boxes for this year.

Originally Posted by mission
or my parent's birth country...Uganda...actually Mum Uganda and Dad Kenya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.