Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

One of the truly great goals...........

One of the truly great goals...........

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default One of the truly great goals...........

Alessandro Del Piero's stunner early on against Real Madrid last night.

Great sweeping move, brilliant pass, stunning first time shot from distance......

If you haven't seen it - do so.

Trust your Uncle Dean on this one...............
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of
Default Re: One of the truly great goals...........

Where did you see this goal?

I can't seem to find Champions League games on cable advertised anywhere?

I bet it wasnt as good as Keith Houchens header at Wembley
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Simao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really nice

Oh my God I saw the game and what a magnificent goal it was! He caught Casillas by surprise if you look at the GK movement's he was expecting Del Piero to run towards him for a one on one encounter but Del Piero knows that he is not fast enough to outrun defenders like Pepe and Cannavaro so he instead shot the goal from wide like a free kick and the GK couldn't do anything about it. He scored another great goal against Zenit at the start of the CL campaign but the one against Real was a lot better.
Yesterday it was a fiest of goals. 38 goals in just 8 games that is 4.75 goals per game it's a rare and huge amount of goals!!
We'll see today what my beloved Inter will do.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 10:00 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Alessandro Del Piero's stunner early on against Real Madrid last night.

Great sweeping move, brilliant pass, stunning first time shot from distance......

If you haven't seen it - do so.

Trust your Uncle Dean on this one...............
Is Del Piero still playing ?

How would know a great goal when you see one anyway, there hasnt been one of those at Kenilworth Road for 25 years or more!! (apart from Xavi Alonso's half way line special a year or two ago in the FA Cup !)
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Simao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really nice

Originally Posted by BangleMan

How would know a great goal when you see one anyway, there hasnt been one of those at Kenilworth Road for 25 years or more!! (apart from Xavi Alonso's half way line special a year or two ago in the FA Cup !)
What are you talking about lol? Just this Sunday or Saturday Liverpool vs Wigan, Zaki scored an incredible goal and I think you know it is a great goal if you saw it.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating - I saw the goal, you didn't..............

So your qualifications to judge it or me are hidden....... er.......... where precisely?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beckham agent in talks with Milan over loan- CEO

MILAN, Oct 22 (Reuters) - David Beckham's agent is in talks
with AC Milan over a loan deal for the Los Angeles Galaxy and
England midfielder, Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani said
on Wednesday.

"Will he arrive? I believe so, yes. He will stay here at
Milan on loan for some months, we are talking about it with his
agent," Galliani told Milan's official website
(www.acmilan.com).

The 33-year-old, who made his name at Manchester United
where he won the 1999 Champions League, is one of the most
famous and marketable footballers to ever play the game and
Milan will look to cash in on and off the field.

"We will keep him for some months and then he will leave.
Beckham has chosen Milan," Galliani added. "Our squad is
ultra-competitive and it will stay like that but Beckham is
something different and intriguing."

Media reports said Beckham would join in January during the
U.S. Major League Soccer close season in a bid to stay in
England coach Fabio Capello's plans ahead of the 2010 World Cup.

During the last MLS close season, Beckham trained at Arsenal
but was not allowed to play for the English Premier League club.

Rumours of Beckham at least training with Milan have
increased in the last week. Coach Carlo Ancelotti was excited by
the idea.

"For me it will be a pleasure. Beckham is a serious athlete,
a great professional," he told Milan's website.

"If he will be available for four months with us, we will be
very happy. If he becomes available for Milan it will obviously
be both in Italy (Serie A) and in Europe (UEFA Cup)."

RISKY MOVE

Ancelotti said on Saturday that the club had been close to
signing him in the past but gave no details.

Beckham joined Major League Soccer (MLS) Los Angeles Galaxy
in 2007 from Real Madrid where he had spent four years following
an acrimonious departure from United.

His risky move to the United States was marketed as an
attempt to boost soccer's popularity there but recently the
challenge has begun to look beyond him.

His team constantly struggled -- they are second from bottom
in the Western standings in the MLS -- and he is no longer an
England first-team regular with Capello questioning the strength
of the MLS and the travelling the former skipper has had to do
to.

Galaxy play their final match of the MLS season against
Dallas on Sunday.

Beckham came on as a late substitute in last Wednesday's 3-1
win in Belarus in a World Cup qualifier to pick up his 107th
England cap.

He only has Peter Shilton (125) and Bobby Moore (108) ahead
of him in the all-time England appearances list and a desire to
break the record may have contributed to his decision to talk to
Milan.

The famous Italian club, who won their seventh European Cup
in 2007, struggled last season and finished fifth in Serie A to
miss out on a place in this term's Champions League.

They spent an initial fee of 21 million euros ($27.06
million) on Barcelona playmaker Ronaldinho in the close season
in an effort to be more competitive this term as well as
bringing in other players such as former striker Andriy
Shevchenko from Chelsea.

Galliani has often warned that cash is at a premium at Milan
and it took them several months to strike a deal for Ronaldinho
given high wage and transfer fee demands.

Media reports said Beckham would join on a "free" loan.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

seen better

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
seen better

I reckon I've seen no more than a handful better in my life.

Many 'spectacular' or 'memorable' goals are overrated because defensive incompetence is usually involved somewhere along the way (e.g. Maradona v England WC 1986 - not the 'Hand Of God', the other one, where he used his brilliant dribbling skills, electrifying pace, and sublime ball control to shake off.... er.... Steve Hodge, Peter Reid and Terry Fenwick, none of whom were good enough to play in today's Premiership, never mind for England).

Ditto - the young Beckham's long-range effort v Wimbledon circa 1996. Neil Sullivan flapping at it with an ineffectual slap. Ditto - John Barnes's 'brilliant' dribble through a statuesque Brazilian defence in the Maracana a few years earlier.

It's time for a "Best Goals Of All Time" thread - but I need a weekend to think of them.............
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:06 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating - I saw the goal, you didn't..............

So your qualifications to judge it or me are hidden....... er.......... where precisely?
Who said I didnt see it ? The Del Piero comment was a joke as he is not young any more and seems to have been around forever......and which clearly went over you head, as did the Luton jibe......
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:08 pm
Hammer for Life

Many 'spectacular' or 'memorable' goals are overrated because defensive incompetence is usually involved somewhere along the way (e.g. Maradona v England WC 1986 - not the 'Hand Of God', the other one, where he used his brilliant dribbling skills, electrifying pace, and sublime ball control to shake off.... er.... Steve Hodge, Peter Reid and Terry Fenwick, none of whom were good enough to play in today's Premiership, never mind for England).

Ditto - the young Beckham's long-range effort v Wimbledon circa 1996. Neil Sullivan flapping at it with an ineffectual slap. Ditto - John Barnes's 'brilliant' dribble through a statuesque Brazilian defence in the Maracana a few years earlier.

It's time for a "Best Goals Of All Time" thread - but I need a weekend to think of them.............
The best goal I have ever seen in the flesh so to speak was Di Canio's volley against Wimbledon about 6 years ago, great cross field pass from Sinclair, to a jumping Di Canio, to volley it with the wrong foot past Neil Sullivan....

There was a buzz around the ground for 5 mins after it went in
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

What about Van Basten and his volley in the 88 Euro Champs final, that was out of this world..
Pretty much any goal by Maradona in 86
Carlos Alberto in 70 WC final, if you watch the whole move it is the perfect team goal, thay have possession for 3 minutes before - Unreal skills
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:34 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

You can't have a great goals thread without mentioning Archie Gemmill's wonder goal against the Dutch, one of the greatest World Cup goals of all time.....
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:47 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

The best goal I have ever seen in the flesh so to speak was Di Canio's volley against Wimbledon about 6 years ago, great cross field pass from Sinclair, to a jumping Di Canio, to volley it with the wrong foot past Neil Sullivan....

There was a buzz around the ground for 5 mins after it went in
was that a kind of scissor kick?
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:16 am
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by commander
was that a kind of scissor kick?
Yes, it was and is argubaly the best goal scored in the Premiership
Attached Files
File Type: flv
Dicanio Goal.flv (458.0 KB, 35 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.