Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

One of those Dubai situations where there is nothing you can do

One of those Dubai situations where there is nothing you can do

Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of those Dubai situations where there is nothing you can do

Originally Posted by shiva
had a cracker a good few years ago. Got cut up at a roundabout in knowledge village and hit the horn a few times then carried on. At the next roundabout the same twat deliberately cuts me up, I just carry on driving. Guy then proceeds to try run me off the road a few times while his mate hangs out the window waving a knife at me. Put the foot down so guy does the same, then slam on the brakes and take an exit to Al Khail road as he zooms past. Guy stops and both get out going mental and waving knives as i drive down the slip road.

Was actually pretty hairy at the time.
sounds like an Arabic, Kenneth Noye
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:22 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
sounds like an Arabic, Kenneth Noye
i doubt they actually had the stones but i wasnt going to stop and find out
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
That is probably the best description of Arab culture I have ever read...

N.
Reading it back, it's not bad is it.

Originally Posted by shiva
i doubt they actually had the stones but i wasnt going to stop and find out
That's the main thing isn't it. Told my Dad I got cut up in the UK going onto the M27, bloke then stopped, got out and went mental at me, locked the doors, opened the window a crack and told him to get back in the car or I'd call police.

Dad's point was - you don't know who has a knife or a bat or anything and who might be a boxing pro and could demolish me. Keeping away and getting out the situation is far wiser than trying to front it up.

Sound advice.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I don't think wasta really comes into play here. More down to the police who arrive and mood they are in, the time of the day, star sign etc...

A prime example of how it can go wrong:

Top British doctor arrested after raising hand at Dubai driver - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

We all like to say we'd call the police, but anyone who's been here a while knows the risks outweigh the moral high ground (unless someone has been hurt).
The police will not automatically take the side of the local driver. Some expats have more connections than some locals, so it's not a clear cut as saying a local will always 'win'. How you deal with the police matters too.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
The police will not automatically take the side of the local driver. Some expats have more connections than some locals, so it's not a clear cut as saying a local will always 'win'. How you deal with the police matters too.
Then there is a little thing called the real world.

I drive a little buzz box as my workday runabout and the amount of times I've been cut up is insane. Weekends I drive the 4wd and very rarely get the same attention. These "guys" are compensating for their lack of power/control/potency in some other part of their lives.

From the OP. I know what a "brake check" is, but what use is it to check your washers?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

You can twist one of your rear washers so it sprays backwards rather than onto your own window.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Always carry some marbles in the car - a small flick and its amazing how an innocent marble causes damage to a car travelling at 80+kmph
Old Jun 19th 2014, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Always carry some marbles in the car - a small flick and its amazing how an innocent marble causes damage to a car travelling at 80+kmph
A pot of yoghurt is equally effective.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
You can twist one of your rear washers so it sprays backwards rather than onto your own window.
but why? seems like you have sunk to their level.

Just let them pass, carry on with your life, let them (hopefully) roll the thing at the next junction
Old Jun 19th 2014, 11:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bongoman2
Then there is a little thing called the real world.

I drive a little buzz box as my workday runabout and the amount of times I've been cut up is insane. Weekends I drive the 4wd and very rarely get the same attention. These "guys" are compensating for their lack of power/control/potency in some other part of their lives.

From the OP. I know what a "brake check" is, but what use is it to check your washers?
I do live in the real world, but things are not always as you might think.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 12:00 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just let them pass, carry on with your life, let them (hopefully) roll the thing at the next junction
Only possible if you start the day with a happy ending
Old Jun 19th 2014, 12:32 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 19th 2014, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Only possible if you start the day with a happy ending
I have no idea what that means.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 1:07 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
My point is that there is no consistency with law here, you just don't know how it will pan out.

In general you'd not bet against a local getting favourtism.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

More on the same theme this morning...

Former police officer leaves UAE after being accused of insulting gesture | The National

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.