Which one is safest?

Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which one is safest?

Originally Posted by kittycat1
What a load of crap, I had a mini (a proper one) as a teenager and you can still get up to mischief if you want to.
The old mini's were hilarious in the snow. You could pick up speed, yank the steering wheel both ways and spin the car round and round. Weren't much good offroad though, the exhaust was too easily ripping off.

And considering the issue with large vehicles and possibilities of getting mattresses and the fairer sex in the rear, the mini-van was a 'superb' mobile bedroom. Normally seen with a padlock holding the doors together
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I was referring to decent ones, not shitty american ones with crap brakes and suspension.
At least American cars have a bit of personality, unlike the bland Japanese cars you see everywhere here.

And the suspension's fine, although we've lowered it, lebo-style
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
At least American cars have a bit of personality, unlike the bland Japanese cars you see everywhere here.

I dunno, my Exploder is pretty soul-less...

My old A3 in the UK though, he was a ****ing blast. Gutsy little bastard that loved being ragged around the New Forest. Alf, his name was. Nice but hard.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Ford Capri in the UK. His name was 'Tic'
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:59 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
SUV - in AD emirate it may be difficult to get a truck registered if you are an expat. Buy a big heavy one with the spare tyre mounted on the back; when you get hit from behind it absorbs a lot of the impact.
Not sure about this urban myth, if the impact only hits the tyre part of the wheel at very low speed this might be true. Otherwise the wheel will have the effect of concentrating the impact of the force directly through the spare wheel mount and into a part of the vehicle not designed for an impact.

Better to have the collision where the manufacturer designed the vehicle to absorb the impacts.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:04 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Personality is a bit of a salesman's spiel to make a car that will let you down or have "quirks" seem attractive imo
Nah mate you don't want that one too boring or bland, imagine the stories you will have about the night you broke down in the desert with this one.

I think people mistake predictable or reliable with bland. (I am biased though having owned a couple of Subaru)
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Personality is a bit of a salesman's spiel to make a car that will let you down or have "quirks" seem attractive imo
Nah mate you don't want that one too boring or bland, imagine the stories you will have about the night you broke down in the desert with this one.

I think people mistake predictable or reliable with bland. (I am biased though having owned a couple of Subaru)
True.

Dad's TVR Chimaera had bags of personality along with bags of issues.

He/we still loved it though.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, I own two American cars and haven't had a problem with either of them. Apart from the brakes on the Charger, but that's just fussiness and they are easy to replace. And my other car (Jeep Cherokee) saved my life when I was hit by a 5 ton truck last year. I'm still driving it.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:49 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I own two American cars....
....said the wistful ex-member of the SWP....
Old Jan 13th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Lower it all the waay Chicano style
Old Jan 13th 2013, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Just purchased my wife a new Tuetonic SUV. More 'car of the peoples' than vorsprung durch technic.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Just purchased my wife a new Tuetonic SUV. More 'car of the peoples' than vorsprung durch technic.
Been thinkin about gettin a Classic Bug, but I detest manual transmission.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
....said the wistful ex-member of the SWP....
Are we all expected to drive Citroën 2CV's ?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:07 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yes braking is the norm for collision avoidance
Which is exactly my point. I honestly can't remember the last time I actively needed to accelerate to avoid an accident, whereas slamming on the brakes because some bell-end has decided to swerve out in front of me without indicating (to give just one typical example) is almost a daily occurrence.

I would also posit that needing to accelerate harder than usual to get onto a roundabout probably points to a lack of patience to wait for a proper gap... and no, you won't wait forever...
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Eeyore
I would also posit that needing to accelerate harder than usual to get onto a roundabout probably points to a lack of patience to wait for a proper gap... and no, you won't wait forever...
Hoorah!

Sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.