British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Which one is safest? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/one-safest-783195/)

Ajeeb Jan 10th 2013 3:34 am

Which one is safest?

I've read the horror stories of how dangerous driving in the Middle East can be; so what type of vehicle is the safest: sedan, truck, van or suv? And which brand do you recommend?

flares Jan 10th 2013 3:55 am

Re: Which one is safest?

1 Attachment(s)
this one

4x4 best bet as you have an elevated driving position and can see the lunatics coming.

Best bit of advice - drive defensively and let them pass

oh and in KSA there may be limits as to who can drive/own 4x4s. No problem if you have family, need it for work, Western Expat but certain people only allowed 'sedans'

Boomhauer Jan 10th 2013 5:21 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10474636)
oh and in KSA there may be limits as to who can drive/own 4x4s. No problem if you have family, need it for work, Western Expat but certain people only allowed 'sedans'

Wait what...??, Saudi actually bans certain nationalities from owning SUVs?

Saff_Parker Jan 10th 2013 5:39 am

this one

4x4 best bet as you have an elevated driving position and can see the lunatics coming.

haha I cracked up at that photo

mikewot Jan 10th 2013 5:44 am

I prefer something more maneuverable than a 4x4 with a bit of speed to get you out of trouble. I have a Golf GTI.

flares Jan 10th 2013 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10474701)

I think this is mainly aimed at their own youth (for good reason)

Desert Dubliner Jan 10th 2013 6:02 am

Dear Ajeeb, my Bahrain car was Volvo XC90. For KSA I upped the size to Chevy Tahoe. I wouldn't put my kids in anything smaller over here.

britexpat76 Jan 10th 2013 6:28 am

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...sode-1-640.jpg

This will do me. The Marauder, little bit more practical and comfortable than an Abrahams.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 10th 2013 6:34 am

Get a 4x4, big and safe and practical(ish).

Bluelionesse Jan 10th 2013 6:38 am

SUV - in AD emirate it may be difficult to get a truck registered if you are an expat. Buy a big heavy one with the spare tyre mounted on the back; when you get hit from behind it absorbs a lot of the impact.

NorthernLad Jan 10th 2013 7:56 am

I have a new single guy working in KSA, British and 42 years old. He has been told officially he can't get a 4x4. But he was also told there are ways around this - I told him to play safe and get a saloon.

Eeyore Jan 10th 2013 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10474722)
I prefer something more maneuverable than a 4x4 with a bit of speed to get you out of trouble

Everybody uses that "get you out of trouble" line (I definitely did when I was younger), but let's be honest - it's complete bollocks, isn't it?

Over the course of your driving career you will avoid trouble by slowing down far more times than you ever will by accelerating. So how come nobody ever says "I prefer something with really good brakes to get me out of trouble"? :rolleyes:

Bahtatboy Jan 10th 2013 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10475325)
Everybody uses that "get you out of trouble" line (I definitely did when I was younger), but let's be honest - it's complete bollocks, isn't it?

Over the course of your driving career you will avoid trouble by slowing down far more times than you ever will by accelerating. So how come nobody ever says "I prefer something with really good brakes to get me out of trouble"? :rolleyes:

I admit that my car (which is quick) gives me the potential to get into trouble, but I would definitely feel far more vulnerable in something slow hacking up and down between AD and Dubai each day.

Ajeeb Jan 10th 2013 3:25 pm

this one http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ak5Cazf238...2-Abrams-1.jpg

Hehe. I appreciate your sense of humour.

That's news to me as well.

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10474730)
Dear Ajeeb, my Bahrain car was Volvo XC90. For KSA I upped the size to Chevy Tahoe. I wouldn't put my kids in anything smaller over here.

Good point.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10474753)
Get a 4x4, big and safe and practical(ish).

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse (Post 10474758)
SUV - in AD emirate it may be difficult to get a truck registered if you are an expat. Buy a big heavy one with the spare tyre mounted on the back; when you get hit from behind it absorbs a lot of the impact.

Never thought of that tire on the rear end absorbing impact. Interesting point. Doesn't look nice having it there, but if it can save a life it is worth having.

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

scot47 Jan 10th 2013 3:53 pm

In KSA there are problems in getting large SUVs if you are single. I always fancied one of those huge GNCs - the "Mutawwamobile" ! So called becasuie they are popular with the Pious Ones